HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
The Toronto section? This is a very stereotypically Toronto view on their national relevance of what would be simply thought of as local news if it were Vancouver or Montreal. I don't recall Vancouver getting its thread in the Canada section for its own Trump Tower issues and protests.
Oh please, have you seen the Toronto section? Even the Torontonians don't ever go there! The Canada section is their default.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 2:51 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
The Toronto section? This is a very stereotypically Toronto view on their national relevance of what would be simply thought of as local news if it were Vancouver or Montreal. I don't recall Vancouver getting its thread in the Canada section for its own Trump Tower issues and protests.
Unfortunately your representative of another Canadian stereotype that makes me want to revoke my citizenship and become a full fledge German!

It's the second tallest building in the country and is in receivership. That should be a pretty damn big story for our circles. I imagine Vancouver's Trump issues can be covered in the Trump thread. This isn't about Trump.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
My understanding is that this only buys the unsold units and hotel rooms - of which there are of course quite a few. The amount of unsold hotel rooms would provide controlling interest in the hotel, allowing for a rebrand. As the building is a condo, ownership is not under a single entity. This sale is simply for what the developer couldn't sell already.
Actually, I looked it up and you're right, the hotel section of the building is condos as well:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_..._controversies

And the "retail and commercial" portion seems to be limited to ground level (not even sure) and that restaurant on the 31st floor.

So... it's a big bunch of unsold units, packaged for sale as a bundle. Firesale conditions, basically.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Unfortunately your representative of another Canadian stereotype that makes me want to revoke my citizenship and become a full fledge German!

It's the second tallest building in the country and is in receivership. That should be a pretty damn big story for our circles. I imagine Vancouver's Trump issues can be covered in the Trump thread. This isn't about Trump.
Plus, Vancouverites are not in a position to be jealous, the SSP Canada main real estate thread by far is pretty much completely focused on their market, been that way for years!

Toronto real estate is a distant second to Vancouver real estate for discussion topics in the Canada section.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:02 AM

Quote:

Get over yourself. This isn't as big of a deal as its being made out to be. This is a local news story that Torontonians are telling the rest of us is somehow nationally relevant. I'm all for learning about stuff going on in Toronto, but there's a place for it. If I can't start a thread about the Stantec Tower in the Canada section or someone from Winnipeg about SkyCity or someone from QC start a thread about that really tall proposal for St-Foy, then I don't think this thread should be here.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:05 AM
I am the law!

I do see his point. This may be better suited for a local section but, there really isn't one for Toronto and neither is the Canadian section overwhelmed by Toronto focused threads. His post is just so typically whiny and sanctimonious. It's not like other locally focused threads don't get a pass not that it matters.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:12 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

I'm not certain where this thread really belongs. But this ISN'T about a proposal, or a tower U/C. It's an existing building, going up for sale... and it just happens to be Canada's second tallest tower. This is current news...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:13 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Get over yourself. This isn't as big of a deal as its being made out to be. This is a local news story that Torontonians are telling the rest of us is somehow nationally relevant. I'm all for learning about stuff going on in Toronto, but there's a place for it. If I can't start a thread about the Stantec Tower in the Canada section or someone from Winnipeg about SkyCity or someone from QC start a thread about that really tall proposal for St-Foy, then I don't think this thread should be here.
It's about a Toronto building but, it's representative of real estate across the country. The same can be said about Richmond banning all Chinese signs. Please. I'd be very interested in hearing about any posts that mimic yours here.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:17 AM

We keep hearing "second tallest", but only with that stupid spire. It has 57 floors, less than Vancouver's Trump tower!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
I'm not certain where this thread really belongs. But this ISN'T about a proposal, or a tower U/C. It's an existing building, going up for sale... and it just happens to be Canada's second tallest tower. This is current news...
Doesn't mean there isn't a Toronto section to put this in. Just like current news for Vancouver goes in the Vancouver section, same with every other city.

Quote:
It's about a Toronto building but, it's representative of real estate across the country. The same can be said about Richmond banning all Chinese signs. Please. I'd be very interested in hearing about any posts that mimic yours here.
I actually have started threads about major, nationally-relevant (from an urbanist perspective) projects in Edmonton, most notably the City Centre Airport redevelopments, which is a huge opportunity to do something great with a huge parcel of land, but it got moved to the Edmonton section. Frankly, I don't see how this is any more relevant.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:22 AM

^^Your point is made; now quit being so lame!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:23 AM
I am the law!

I'm not interesting in debating spires. It is what it is. You are implying the roof height would be similar to Vancouver's Trump with is not the case. The slab to slab heights are around 14 feet in Toronto.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:25 AM

Obviously I know that

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:32 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
We keep hearing "second tallest", but only with that stupid spire. It has 57 floors, less than Vancouver's Trump tower!
Even with no spire at all, there are only 4 towers in Canada that are taller, all in Toronto...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:39 AM

Quote:
^^Your point is made; now quit being so lame!
I'm merely responding to people who engaged with me.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:49 AM

Quote:
I agree with you, there's no way spires should count.

Just to make sure it's clear, I don't have any skin in this game, it's just basic logic: spires, antennae, and other such fluff on top are not an intrinsic part of a building.

Even if we count spires, then it's still third tallest at most - behind CN Tower (itself a giant spire; spires count) and whatever other building ranks second (Toronto's BMO tower, if memory serves me correctly).

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Frankly, I don't see how this is any more relevant.
Any news that allows us to take the general pulse of real estate in this country can be relevant (note that no one has ever moved all those Vancouver real estate discussions out of the Canada section; everyone accepted that as "Canadian news" worthy of the section).

Plus, it highlights a business failure by a guy who's about to lead our biggest ally and trading partner, and become one of the most powerful people in the world.

Combined, I would say it's relevant enough to justify a thread.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:57 AM
Calgary Martindale

I think this is a national story perhaps even an international story.

Because of the Trump name, I'm curious if Trumps' Scion branded hotel management contract is protected. Anyone know?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 4:00 AM

Quote:
I actually have started threads about major, nationally-relevant (from an urbanist perspective) projects in Edmonton, most notably the City Centre Airport redevelopments, which is a huge opportunity to do something great with a huge parcel of land, but it got moved to the Edmonton section.
A good rule of thumb for this would be "will I be seeing these news in my local paper tomorrow morning here?"

This Trump tower business - probably "yes" (to be confirmed tomorrow morning, but I'd bet on yes - the media loves Trump)

That Edmonton project you mention that no one has ever heard about - most definitely "no".

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
A good rule of thumb for this would be "will I be seeing these news in my local paper tomorrow morning here?"

This Trump tower business - probably "yes" (to be confirmed tomorrow morning, but I'd bet on yes - the media loves Trump)

That Edmonton project you mention that no one has ever heard about - most definitely "no".
This was years ago, but a lot of people have heard of the Blatchford redevelopment plans. Just like a lot of people have heard of the ICE District. You're assuming that because you haven't heard of it that no one else has as well. I know these projects have been given national press before.

Regardless, this discussion is not relevant to the thread and so I won't further derail things. PM me if you want to continue this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada