HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 8:37 PM

Spheres of Influence of Canadian Cities

Hi,

As a kid growing up in eastern Ontario, well within Ottawa's sphere of influence I had always thought that Hawkesburry as well was within this same sphere. I however now know some people that commute to metro Montreal from Hawkesburry so it may well be within Montreal's sphere of influence.

This got me thinking, it would be very interesting to see where the borders for each city's influence are located. A similar study was done in the US where they asked people of various location what was the most significant, culturally economically... city in their vicinity and they mapped out the results:

Do you know if a similar map can be viewed for Canada?

I suspect that Toronto may in fact have a very small sphere while Montreal, Vancouver and Edmonton's are likely huge. Ottawa is likely squeezed between Montreal and Toronto (or Kingston?) with a small sphere.

Perhaps this is representative:

or this:

Last edited by FFX-ME; Jan 18, 2017 at 9:39 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 8:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
Hi,

As a kid growing up in western Ontario, well within Ottawa's sphere of influence
You mean Eastern Ontario, right?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 9:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Perhaps this is representative:

I don't believe this map with the Ottawa Senators dominating Northern Ontario is representative.

Hockey-wise, Northern Ontario is probably a mish-mash of Leafs, Habs and Sens fandom, but I am pretty sure when all is said and done the Leafs have at least a plurality up there.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 9:02 PM

The Sens wish their sphere was even that big. I can't think of a single town along Lake Ontario you would find the majority Sen supporters. It goes Leafs right in to Habs somewhere between Kingston and Cornwall.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 9:03 PM

Winnipeg's sphere of influence basically consists of Manitoba and maybe a bit of the easternmost edge of Ontario up to Kenora, maybe up to Dryden, maximum.

Sask is more self-contained but to the extent that they are "influenced" by a larger city, I'd imagine that it would be mainly Calgary.

I'm talking about spheres of influence generally, but if we're diverting this into a hockey fandom discussion then I think the same logic more or less applies... Jets country is Manitoba and NW Ontario.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 9:06 PM

LOL, ya. We are all so Canadian we managed to make this a Hockey thread after one post.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 9:07 PM

Now let's all say mean things about Toronto!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 9:09 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Hi,

As a kid growing up in western Ontario, well within Ottawa's sphere of influence I had always thought that Hawkesburry as well was within this same sphere. I however now know some people that commute to metro Montreal from Hawkesburry so it may well be within Montreal's sphere of influence.
Hawkesbury is probably one of those places that is has a true duality going on with spheres of influence. Due to it being in Ontario, it's definitely strongly oriented towards Ottawa for the job market, post-secondary education, family ties, etc. Probably moreso than Montreal even if Montreal also "drains" some juice from Hawkesbury on these fronts too. Montreal probably registers more strongly for Hawkesbury in terms of transportation (airport, rail, highways), media, nightlife, shopping, sports, concerts, and fun stuff in general.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 9:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
The Sens wish their sphere was even that big. I can't think of a single town along Lake Ontario you would find the majority Sen supporters. It goes Leafs right in to Habs somewhere between Kingston and Cornwall.
I generally said the same thing though I would add a caveat that there is a stretch along the 401 east of Kingston around Brockville, Prescott and Morrisburg that is pretty predominantly Senators territory. Once you get around Cornwall it becomes split between the Habs and the Sens.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 9:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I'd put Toronto and Ottawa as a "dual" for NE Ontario (Sudbury, Timmins, North Bay, Tri-Towns, Kap, etc.). Probably with an edge to Toronto but Ottawa still has quite a bit of pull in the region - especially with francophones. (Though anglos from the NE do go to Ottawa too, and some NE francos go to Toronto as well.)

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You mean Eastern Ontario, right?
Right, damn autocorrect.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 10:30 PM

Interresting,

If you look closely at the US map you'll see that Montreal's sphere of influence leaks into the US. Toronto's does not.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 10:38 PM

I would put the Leafs sphere of influence rather than Senators because the Tragically Hip lyrics make reference to the Leafs a lot more than to the Senators.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 10:38 PM
perhaps . . .

It is also true that the Lower Mainland's influence reaches into Washington State. Vancouver-Langley's influence likely dominates over Blaine, Birch Bay, Ferndale and even Bellingham to some extent. Abbottsford's influence dominates Lyndon, Sumas and the Mount Baker area.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 10:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Winnipeg's sphere of influence basically consists of Manitoba and maybe a bit of the easternmost edge of Ontario up to Kenora, maybe up to Dryden, maximum.

Sask is more self-contained but to the extent that they are "influenced" by a larger city, I'd imagine that it would be mainly Calgary.

I'm talking about spheres of influence generally, but if we're diverting this into a hockey fandom discussion then I think the same logic more or less applies... Jets country is Manitoba and NW Ontario.
If we are talking about eastern Saskatchewan and a Winnipeg vs. Calgary thing (east of Regina that is), I would say that based on my connections in eastern Sasky, Winnipeg edges out Calgary, although it's primarily Regina that the "sphere of influence" over any of the other cities.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 11:40 PM
Closed account

That US map is quite interesting. Is the giant blue area on the western end of the Michigan Upper Peninsula and the far northeastern tip of Minnesota supposed to be Detroit? Why is Williston, North Dakota on the map, but not Marquette (under whose umbrella the western end of the UP should be).

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I generally said the same thing though I would add a caveat that there is a stretch along the 401 east of Kingston around Brockville, Prescott and Morrisburg that is pretty predominantly Senators territory. Once you get around Cornwall it becomes split between the Habs and the Sens.
Kingston itself is a split between Sens and Leafs but with an edge to the Sens that seems to be growing over time.

In terms of spheres of influence, Kingston also has a duality thing going on, between Toronto and Ottawa. It kind of depends on what topic you're talking about. We also have our own sphere of influence that extends outwards to the Belleville area in the west, almost to Brockville in the east (though not quite) and up to about Westport in the north.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 11:52 PM

Does the popularity of the Flames actually extend into the US in places like Montana? Genuine question.

As for spheres of influence... I'd probably put it as something like this

Victoria - Vancouver Island
Vancouver - Southwest BC up to Coquahalla Valley
Kelowna - Okanagan/Western Kootenays
Kamloops - Thompson Valley
Prince George - Northern BC sans Peace Region
Calgary - Red Deer to Claresholm; Golden to the SK border
Edmonton - Lacombe to Slave Lake; Valemount to Lloydminster
Lethbridge - Southern AB and SE Kootenays
Grande Prairie - Peace Region (AB+BC)
Fort McMurray - NE Alberta
Whitehorse - Yukon, Inuvik
Yellowknife - NWT sans Inuvik
Iqaluit - Nunavut archipelago
Rankin Inlet - Mainland Nunavut
Saskatoon - SK north of Davidson
Regina - SK south of Davidson, east of Chaplin-ish
Swift Current - SW SK
Winnipeg - Manitoba/Lake of the Woods
Thunder Bay - NW Ontario sans Lake of the Woods
Sudbury - NE Ontario
Toronto - Greater Golden Horseshoe
London - SW Ontario
Kingston - Trenton to Brockville
Ottawa - Brockville to Cornwall, Odgensburg to Mont-Laurier, Ottawa Valley NW of Ottawa
Montreal - Cornwall to Drummondville/Trois-Rivieres; Vermont to Sainte-Anne-du-Lac
Sherbrooke - SE Quebec
Quebec City - Trois-Rivieres to La Malbaie; L'Etape to Thetford Mines-ish; Gaspesie
Saguenay - Northeast Quebec
Saint John - St Martins/Sussex to Maine border; Bay of Fundy to Welsford
Fredericton - Western non-coastal NB
Moncton - NE NB/Acadia
Charlottetown - PEI
Halifax - Mainland NS
Sydney - Cape Breton
St. John's - Newfoundland from the Avalon to Gander-ish
Corner Brook - Western Newfoundland
Happy Valley-Goose Bay - Eastern Labrador
Labrador City - Western Labrador

If you just wanted to do big cities, I'd put it more like
Vancouver - BC excepting Eastern Kootenays and BC Peace Region; Yukon
Calgary - Alberta south from Red Deer; Eastern Kootenays; Saskatchewan except Regina/SE Sask
Edmonton - Alberta up from Red Deer; BC Peace Region; NWT
Winnipeg - Manitoba; SE Sask; NW Ontario
Toronto - Southern Ontario up to Belleville to the east and Muskoka to the north
Ottawa - Eastern Ontario except Cornwall area; NE Ontario; border areas of Ottawa River in Quebec; Nunavut
Montreal - Quebec up to Trois-Rivieres, Cornwall area of Ontario
Quebec City - Quebec past Trois-Rivieres
Halifax - Maritimes
St. John's - Newfoundland & Labrador

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 12:44 AM

Maybe this is just from personal connections, but there is probably just as much pull towards Ottawa as there is to Montreal in Cornwall. The provincial boundary is harder division line than some believe.

Ottawa's sphere of influence is mainly restricted to the Ottawa, Rideau, and Gatineau River valleys and surrounding highlands with some spread down into the St. Lawrence valley between Cornwall and Brockville.

The Ottawa Senators have had to really battle for allegiance. It is probably the strongest northwest of Ottawa in Renfrew and Pontiac counties and almost as strong in Lanark county. Mixed allegiances in the St. Lawrence River valley, mixed with Leafs to the west and Canadiens to the east. Also mixed to the east of Ottawa but the Senators have been making gains there. Mainly Canadiens support on the Quebec side but the Senators have been making some inroads there. I expect more Senators support north of Gatineau in traditional Irish areas. Also, there will be some Senators support in upper New York State. I know the games are being broadcast there. I wonder how the move of the AHL team from Binghamton to Belleville may make inroads in more traditional Leafs territory to the west of Kingston.

Last edited by lrt's friend; Jan 19, 2017 at 12:55 AM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 2:11 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Maybe this is just from personal connections, but there is probably just as much pull towards Ottawa as there is to Montreal in Cornwall. The provincial boundary is harder division line than some believe.
I definitely agree with this. For the same reason as Hawkesbury (they're in Ontario), Cornwall leans a lot to Ottawa. Moreso than Hawkesbury in fact as it's a lot less francophone.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada