HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I have some relatives in the northwest and north central NB. Is your wife from there? But it's true most of my relatives and friends are in the NE.

Around Caraquet, Shippagan and Tracadie, it's definitely Moncton first but then it's Montreal.

Halifax isn't much on the radar at all. Neither are Saint John and Fredericton really.
Northcentral area, (Campbelton). Hockey-wise they are definitely habs fans though, it's a curse really. They may be more QC-inclined than other Acadians though since their family has spread to there, among other places.

I guess an interesting way to ask the question in the survey would be to ask people when they go to the city, where are they referring to. In Embrun it's definitely Ottawa but in Plantagenet people may actually respond Hawkesburry. It would give an interesting perspective. I believe most people don't really care too much about the nearest metropolis.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Does the popularity of the Flames actually extend into the US in places like Montana? Genuine question.

As for spheres of influence... I'd probably put it as something like this

Victoria - Vancouver Island
Vancouver - Southwest BC up to Coquahalla Valley
Kelowna - Okanagan/Western Kootenays
Kamloops - Thompson Valley
Prince George - Northern BC sans Peace Region
Calgary - Red Deer to Claresholm; Golden to the SK border
Edmonton - Lacombe to Slave Lake; Valemount to Lloydminster
Lethbridge - Southern AB and SE Kootenays
Grande Prairie - Peace Region (AB+BC)
Fort McMurray - NE Alberta
Whitehorse - Yukon, Inuvik
Yellowknife - NWT sans Inuvik
Iqaluit - Nunavut archipelago
Rankin Inlet - Mainland Nunavut
Saskatoon - SK north of Davidson
Regina - SK south of Davidson, east of Chaplin-ish
Swift Current - SW SK
Winnipeg - Manitoba/Lake of the Woods
Thunder Bay - NW Ontario sans Lake of the Woods
Sudbury - NE Ontario
Toronto - Greater Golden Horseshoe
London - SW Ontario
Kingston - Trenton to Brockville
Ottawa - Brockville to Cornwall, Odgensburg to Mont-Laurier, Ottawa Valley NW of Ottawa
Montreal - Cornwall to Drummondville/Trois-Rivieres; Vermont to Sainte-Anne-du-Lac
Sherbrooke - SE Quebec
Quebec City - Trois-Rivieres to La Malbaie; L'Etape to Thetford Mines-ish; Gaspesie
Saguenay - Northeast Quebec
Saint John - St Martins/Sussex to Maine border; Bay of Fundy to Welsford
Fredericton - Western non-coastal NB
Moncton - NE NB/Acadia
Charlottetown - PEI
Halifax - Mainland NS
Sydney - Cape Breton
St. John's - Newfoundland from the Avalon to Gander-ish
Corner Brook - Western Newfoundland
Happy Valley-Goose Bay - Eastern Labrador
Labrador City - Western Labrador

If you just wanted to do big cities, I'd put it more like
Vancouver - BC excepting Eastern Kootenays and BC Peace Region; Yukon
Calgary - Alberta south from Red Deer; Eastern Kootenays; Saskatchewan except Regina/SE Sask
Edmonton - Alberta up from Red Deer; BC Peace Region; NWT
Winnipeg - Manitoba; SE Sask; NW Ontario
Toronto - Southern Ontario up to Belleville to the east and Muskoka to the north
Ottawa - Eastern Ontario except Cornwall area; NE Ontario; border areas of Ottawa River in Quebec; Nunavut
Montreal - Quebec up to Trois-Rivieres, Cornwall area of Ontario
Quebec City - Quebec past Trois-Rivieres
Halifax - Maritimes
St. John's - Newfoundland & Labrador
I think Cranbrook is the regional centre for the Eastern Kootenays. Lethbridge is awfully far away, without much of the "stuff" that's worth driving for (eg: an international airport, better stores).

Another city that's influential over a certain region is Sault Ste Marie.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 4:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
Northern Quebec is likely a bit of a mix; I'm inclined to say Montreal overall, but Rouyn-Noranda is also a very important point for servicing Northern Quebec.
Although not as big as the link to Montreal, there is an interesting relationship between the Abitibi-Témiscamingue region and the Gatineau (and to some degree Ottawa) region.

One reason for this is that historically, the Oblate priests based in Ottawa played a big role in the Catholic church and its institutions in NE Ontario and NW Quebec. For example, university-bound kids from the Collège classique de Rouyn were mostly funnelled into the University of Ottawa.

These links seem to have persisted until this day, and seem to have many ramifications in other areas. Many retail chains have operations in Gatineau, Maniwaki and the Abitibi. Several private radio and TV stations in the Outaouais and Abitibi are owned by the same company. The educational institutions that have sprouted up in Gatineau and (francophone) Ottawa since the days of the U of O's dominance have huge contingents of students from Abitibi-Témiscamingue.

There is even a name for the transplants: Abitaouais. You sometimes see and hear ads from business people who try and capitalize on this by saying they're an "Abitaouais".

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 4:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFX-ME View Post
Northcentral area, (Campbelton). Hockey-wise they are definitely habs fans though, it's a curse really. They may be more QC-inclined than other Acadians though since their family has spread to there, among other places.

I guess an interesting way to ask the question in the survey would be to ask people when they go to the city, where are they referring to. In Embrun it's definitely Ottawa but in Plantagenet people may actually respond Hawkesburry. It would give an interesting perspective. I believe most people don't really care too much about the nearest metropolis.
They don't care or even think about it, but they usually do pick a metropolis, "naturally", even unconsciously.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I think Cranbrook is the regional centre for the Eastern Kootenays. Lethbridge is awfully far away, without much of the "stuff" that's worth driving for (eg: an international airport, better stores).

Yeah, I was thinking about Cranbrook and you're right, the Eastern Kootenays city of choice is probably there, not Lethbridge. The area is just very Alberta-orientated; Calgary is definitely the "big city", not Vancouver. That starts changing around Nelson and Trail.

Good catch about Sault Ste Marie, for whatever reason I completely forgot about it.

Also forgot about Rouyn-Noranda, which others have mentioned, though I'd have assumed Val d'Or was more of a regional centre than Rouyn.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 4:22 PM

Quote:
IMO there are a few reasons for this, when you think about it.

First of all, a big part of Quebec City's oomph comes from the fact that is the seat of the provincial government. This government has no relevancy for NB Acadians as they're not in Quebec.

Also, a good chunk of the employment sector in Quebec is with the provincial government or organizations related to the provincial government. Again, this is not necessarily a natural fit for NB Acadians. This does not mean that it's impossible for NB Acadians to work in Quebec's public sector - two of my young Acadian cousins from the Maritimes actually work for the Quebec government - but there are way more low-hanging-fruit opportunities in Montreal. In employment and other areas of city life too as it's just a much bigger city.

Now, I am sensing that this perception of Quebec City is starting to change as its private sector economy is growing very rapidly.
I dont really understand how the relevancy of Quebec's government on New Brunswick plays a role in whether or not a New Brunswicker would move to Quebec City vs Montreal. Either way, the New Brunswicker is in Quebec and now the Quebec government is relevant and provides jobs. No different than people moving to Halifax or Edmonton or Victoria.

Just seems strange considering QC is much closer and has most of what Montreal can provide, but on a smaller scale.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 4:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Yeah, I was thinking about Cranbrook and you're right, the Eastern Kootenays city of choice is probably there, not Lethbridge. The area is just very Alberta-orientated; Calgary is definitely the "big city", not Vancouver. That starts changing around Nelson and Trail.

Good catch about Sault Ste Marie, for whatever reason I completely forgot about it.

Also forgot about Rouyn-Noranda, which others have mentioned, though I'd have assumed Val d'Or was more of a regional centre than Rouyn.
Rouyn has about 10,000 more people than Val-d'Or. It also has more stuff: the university, the CEGEP, better shopping and restaurants. It's definitely seen as, relatively speaking, the more sophisticated of the two.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 9:22 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post

Yeah there's zero influence from Lethbridge in BC. Really the only city in Alberta with any sort of influence outside its borders in probably Calgary

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 9:41 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
As for sphere of influence in general, Sudbury pretty much dominates NE Ontario, while NE Ontario itself is split between Toronto and Ottawa as mentioned before.
While it's true that Sudbury is the dominant city overall in NE Ontario, North Bay's sphere of influence is quite sizeable in itself stretching From Sturgeon Falls (West Nipissing) in the West, to Mattawa and Témiscaming (Quebec) in the East, North to the Tri-Towns and South to Burk's Falls.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 9:51 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macallan View Post
Sure, expand your marketing efforts in Hawkesbury, but you have some work to do in Ottawa.
Having the Senators playing in an arena that's actually in Ottawa in a few years will do wonders for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I would imagine Edmundston and the Madawaska region fall into Quebec City's sphere of influence. The rest of northern, northeastern and southeastern NB (as well as Cumberland County NS) fall into the Moncton sphere of influence.
Edmundston/Madawaska is almost certainly Quebec City. I don't buy Acajack's insistence that it's Montreal. Anecdotally, NB plates on Autoroute 20 are very common between Lévis and the NB border. They all but disappear once you pass Quebec City. QC is only only a two hour drive from most of Madawaska and is larger than any urban area in Atlantic Canada and it's francophone, so it makes sense that it would trump Fredericton and Moncton which are further away.

The remainder of Francophone NB (Campbellton/Bathurst/Peninsula) is overwhelmingly within the sphere of Moncton.

Fredericton's influence only ranges northward up until Perth-Andover/Doaktown.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 9:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Having the Senators playing in an arena that's actually in Ottawa in a few years will do wonders for this.

Edmundston/Madawaska is almost certainly Quebec City. I don't buy Acajack's insistence that it's Montreal. Anecdotally, NB plates on Autoroute 20 are very common between Lévis and the NB border. They all but disappear once you pass Quebec City. QC is only only a two hour drive from most of Madawaska and is larger than any urban area in Atlantic Canada and it's francophone, so it makes sense that it would trump Fredericton and Moncton which are further away.

The remainder of Francophone NB (Campbellton/Bathurst/Peninsula) is overwhelmingly within the sphere of Moncton.
Oh, I am not saying Montreal trumps Moncton. But if we take Moncton out of the equation and go to a larger city, it's Montreal in the Peninsula. Not Halifax and not Quebec City.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 9:58 PM

growing up in NE BC, I would say it was more Edmonton than Vancouver. We had more Edmonton TV channels than Vancouver ones, I think we only had one from Vancouver.

Edmonton despite being an 8-10 hour drive was a popular long weekend getaway for shopping etc. Vancouver was just too far away, maybe in the summer for a couple weeks.

They don't change clocks there so in winter we were on Edmonton Time and summer we would be on Vancouver time.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 10:07 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Oh, I am not saying Montreal trumps Moncton. But if we take Moncton out of the equation and go to a larger city, it's Montreal in the Peninsula. Not Halifax and not Quebec City.
It was in regards to Montreal trumping Quebec City for influence over NW NB. Quebec City is far more influential and accessible for people living in that area than either Montreal or Moncton, IMO.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 10:24 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
growing up in NE BC, I would say it was more Edmonton than Vancouver. We had more Edmonton TV channels than Vancouver ones, I think we only had one from Vancouver.

Edmonton despite being an 8-10 hour drive was a popular long weekend getaway for shopping etc. Vancouver was just too far away, maybe in the summer for a couple weeks.

They don't change clocks there so in winter we were on Edmonton Time and summer we would be on Vancouver time.
Yeah Edmonton was a popular vacation spot for people in the interior, lots of folks would go camping in Jasper for a week then spend a few days at West Edmonton Mall to do school shopping before heading home. And you notice more Oilers & Esks paraphernalia on the walls of local bars in the Central interior. I think people from the Central/ Northern interior of BC probably relate more to Edmonton's blue collar basics than they do to Vancouver. I don't think Edmonton really has any particular influence over the area though

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 12:48 AM

Other than in far SW Ontario, are there any other areas in Canada where the main city of influence comes from the US? (I know there are a few areas across the border where the influence is heavily linked out of a Canadian city)

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Does the popularity of the Flames actually extend into the US in places like Montana? Genuine question.

As for spheres of influence... I'd probably put it as something like this

Victoria - Vancouver Island
Vancouver - Southwest BC up to Coquahalla Valley
Kelowna - Okanagan/Western Kootenays
Kamloops - Thompson Valley
Prince George - Northern BC sans Peace Region
Calgary - Red Deer to Claresholm; Golden to the SK border
Edmonton - Lacombe to Slave Lake; Valemount to Lloydminster
Lethbridge - Southern AB and SE Kootenays
Grande Prairie - Peace Region (AB+BC)
Fort McMurray - NE Alberta
Whitehorse - Yukon, Inuvik
Yellowknife - NWT sans Inuvik
Iqaluit - Nunavut archipelago
Rankin Inlet - Mainland Nunavut
Saskatoon - SK north of Davidson
Regina - SK south of Davidson, east of Chaplin-ish
Swift Current - SW SK
Winnipeg - Manitoba/Lake of the Woods
Thunder Bay - NW Ontario sans Lake of the Woods
Sudbury - NE Ontario
Toronto - Greater Golden Horseshoe
London - SW Ontario
Kingston - Trenton to Brockville
Ottawa - Brockville to Cornwall, Odgensburg to Mont-Laurier, Ottawa Valley NW of Ottawa
Montreal - Cornwall to Drummondville/Trois-Rivieres; Vermont to Sainte-Anne-du-Lac
Sherbrooke - SE Quebec
Quebec City - Trois-Rivieres to La Malbaie; L'Etape to Thetford Mines-ish; Gaspesie
Saguenay - Northeast Quebec
Saint John - St Martins/Sussex to Maine border; Bay of Fundy to Welsford
Fredericton - Western non-coastal NB
Moncton - NE NB/Acadia
Charlottetown - PEI
Halifax - Mainland NS
Sydney - Cape Breton
St. John's - Newfoundland from the Avalon to Gander-ish
Corner Brook - Western Newfoundland
Happy Valley-Goose Bay - Eastern Labrador
Labrador City - Western Labrador

If you just wanted to do big cities, I'd put it more like
Vancouver - BC excepting Eastern Kootenays and BC Peace Region; Yukon
Calgary - Alberta south from Red Deer; Eastern Kootenays; Saskatchewan except Regina/SE Sask
Edmonton - Alberta up from Red Deer; BC Peace Region; NWT
Winnipeg - Manitoba; SE Sask; NW Ontario
Toronto - Southern Ontario up to Belleville to the east and Muskoka to the north
Ottawa - Eastern Ontario except Cornwall area; NE Ontario; border areas of Ottawa River in Quebec; Nunavut
Montreal - Quebec up to Trois-Rivieres, Cornwall area of Ontario
Quebec City - Quebec past Trois-Rivieres
Halifax - Maritimes
St. John's - Newfoundland & Labrador
One thing wrong with your "big city" influences. Saskatoon will drive to Edmonton over Calgary any day of the week. Divided highway verse single lane highway wins hands down. I've never driven to Calgary from Saskatoon ever, always to Edmonton.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 2:16 AM

What is that 5 hours to Edmonton and 6-8 to Calgary?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 2:39 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
One thing wrong with your "big city" influences. Saskatoon will drive to Edmonton over Calgary any day of the week. Divided highway verse single lane highway wins hands down. I've never driven to Calgary from Saskatoon ever, always to Edmonton.
This is one major difference I notice having lived in Quebec for the last 16 years (I'm originally from MB). Distances here are more relevant. Two hours to go to Montreal from Ottawa, and I know many people make that trip every day, but in the prairies, it's like a huge event (going to the city). Here it's just like.. different. I can't explain it, and I'm not trying to belittle it. I remember many times "going to Winnipeg" and it was a momentous event.. which culminated with a visit to Polo park.

..And we had a shitty 2 lane highway

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 3:19 AM

It's funny how people still say "I'm going to the city" and people know what city they are talking about out here. Mind you now we really have no need to go in to Calgary anymore from Airdrie. I still remember having to go in to Calgary for groceries every couple of weeks since my mom was a co-op lady and Airdrie had no co-op at the time.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 3:42 AM

I think times change, My parents rarely went 'into the city' as Prairie kids, but now its a lot more ubiquitous for traveling to any city for anything, weekly grocery shopping trips/appointments. My nephew learned to swim in pool with weekly lessons in Regina an hour from where he lives, I learnt in a lake. My niece learned piano in nearby city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Yeah there's zero influence from Lethbridge in BC. Really the only city in Alberta with any sort of influence outside its borders in probably Calgary
Medicine Hat has some influence, particularly commercial/retail trade with SW Saskatchewan & Fort McMurray has some influence for people in Buffalo Narrows & LaLoche in NW Saskatchewan, Much like Saskatoon has influence over The Pas & Flin Flon in Manitoba.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rollerstud98
What is that 5 hours to Edmonton and 6-8 to Calgary?
Google maps shows 5 hrs driving time Saskatoon to Edmonton, 6 hours Saskatoon to Calgary.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada