HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
This is one major difference I notice having lived in Quebec for the last 16 years (I'm originally from MB). Distances here are more relevant. Two hours to go to Montreal from Ottawa, and I know many people make that trip every day, but in the prairies, it's like a huge event (going to the city). Here it's just like.. different. I can't explain it, and I'm not trying to belittle it. I remember many times "going to Winnipeg" and it was a momentous event.. which culminated with a visit to Polo park.

..And we had a shitty 2 lane highway
When you live in Drummondville, you have access to more than 80% of Quebec's population within 200 km. Montréal 100km, Quebec City 150km. I can't imagine having to drive 5h to go to the nearest big city.

Last edited by GreaterMontréal; Jan 20, 2017 at 3:59 AM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 4:06 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
Regarding the Arctic, I think it's interesting to consider what spheres the various parts fall in too. I'm not too certain about Yukon, but the NWT is predominately in Edmonton's sphere of influence. The western part of Nunavut (Arviat, Rankin Inlet, Churchill, MB) are probably principally in Winnipeg's sphere and the eastern part of Nunavut in Ottawa's sphere.
This is correct. Baffin Island is connected to Ottawa, NWT to Edmonton and Nunavut to Winnipeg...this is true for medical, construction, government services etc.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 4:39 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
It was in regards to Montreal trumping Quebec City for influence over NW NB. Quebec City is far more influential and accessible for people living in that area than either Montreal or Moncton, IMO.
I never said that specifically about NW NB.

It's just I find interesting that people in the Peninsula seem to skip over Quebec City and look straight to Montreal.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 4:48 AM

Well, that hockey map is incorrect. The Maple Leafs dominance doesn't extend into extreme SW Ontario (that's Red Wings territory).

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 5:03 AM
BANNED

Lordy lord, you guys invent things to argue about!

Carry on..

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 5:24 AM

I would definitely say that Vancouver's influence goes south of the border all the way to Bellingham.

Detroit's influence over Windsor/Essex is based far more on historical facts than on contemporary reality. Up to about 60 years ago Detroit was a VERY big, prosperous, and vibrant city with a vital downtown with great shopping, nightlife, and cultural amenities. The border crossing was nothing more than a stop sign. If you waited more than 5 minutes at the border it would seem like an eternity which continued into the 80s. Windsorites went to Detroit all the time. It was no more radical than a Montrealer going to Laval or a Torontonian going to Brampton.

Today the interaction between the Windsor & Detroit is still there but a mere shadow of what it once was due to Detroit's collapsing population and horrid crime, the blooming of Toronto and the agony of crossing the border.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I would definitely say that Vancouver's influence goes south of the border all the way to Bellingham.

Detroit's influence over Windsor/Essex is based far more on historical facts than on contemporary reality. Up to about 60 years ago Detroit was a VERY big, prosperous, and vibrant city with a vital downtown with great shopping, nightlife, and cultural amenities. The border crossing was nothing more than a stop sign. If you waited more than 5 minutes at the border it would seem like an eternity which continued into the 80s. Windsorites went to Detroit all the time. It was no more radical than a Montrealer going to Laval or a Torontonian going to Brampton.

Today the interaction between the Windsor & Detroit is still there but a mere shadow of what it once was due to Detroit's collapsing population and horrid crime, the blooming of Toronto and the agony of crossing the border.
The interaction is still very strong between the two cities, but unfortunately the border has mucked things up recently. Detroits population loss has slowed dramatically and crime in the core areas is actually very low now, and has been falling for years, but the outer neighbourhoods still struggle with bad crime.

Detroit is transforming so quickly now, that crime is one of the last things Windsorites thing about when crossing over to Detroit. There is just so much activity, construction and new retail and restaurants in DT, Midtown and Corktown, that Windsorites are heading over there in record numbers! You can truly feel and see the massive changes that have taken place in Detroit over the last decade, especially the past 5 years, it's shocking!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/auto-s...thin-5-7-years

Last edited by north 42; Jan 20, 2017 at 2:54 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 5:20 PM

^ Agreed - downtown Detroit is rapidly improving. People don't worry much about crime when crossing over (Windsorites know which areas of Detroit to avoid).

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 5:50 PM

Quote:
This is one major difference I notice having lived in Quebec for the last 16 years (I'm originally from MB). Distances here are more relevant. Two hours to go to Montreal from Ottawa, and I know many people make that trip every day, but in the prairies, it's like a huge event (going to the city). Here it's just like.. different. I can't explain it, and I'm not trying to belittle it. I remember many times "going to Winnipeg" and it was a momentous event.. which culminated with a visit to Polo park.

Oh man.. this is my whole childhood in a nutshell right here

You aren't from the Interlake are you?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
The interaction is still very strong between the two cities, but unfortunately the border has mucked things up recently. Detroits population loss has slowed dramatically and crime in the core areas is actually very low now, and has been falling for years, but the outer neighbourhoods still struggle with bad crime.

Detroit is transforming so quickly now, that crime is one of the last things Windsorites thing about when crossing over to Detroit. There is just so much activity, construction and new retail and restaurants in DT, Midtown and Corktown, that Windsorites are heading over there in record numbers! You can truly feel and see the massive changes that have taken place in Detroit over the last decade, especially the past 5 years, it's shocking!

http://www.clickondetroit.com/auto-s...thin-5-7-years
Regarding the border, a good number of people in the area have NEXUS cards, which makes it little more than a toll booth for them. There are probably more NEXUS cardholders per capita in Windsor than anywhere else in Canada, by a fairly large margin.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Winnipeg's sphere of influence basically consists of Manitoba and maybe a bit of the easternmost edge of Ontario up to Kenora, maybe up to Dryden, maximum.
I'd say it goes all the way to Thunder Bay, but maybe our resident Thunder Bay poster should chime in on that. Vid?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Regarding the border, a good number of people in the area have NEXUS cards, which makes it little more than a toll booth for them. There are probably more NEXUS cardholders per capita in Windsor than anywhere else in Canada, by a fairly large margin.
Absolutely, there are thousands of Windsorites who commute daily to Detroit, especially in the health field, and most of them have NEXUS cards.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 6:45 PM

I think a good portion of western Newfoundland might fall under Halifax's sphere rather than that of St. John's.

Last night I was at a meeting for our local senior hockey team and one of the matters discussed was whether a player who is from here but attends university in Halifax is considered to be a local player or not, for purposes of import status rules. We argued this for a solid hour and the whole time referred to Halifax as the place that we're likely losing players to, not St. John's.

I also noticed that CTV out of Halifax includes Newfoundland on their weather map and reports, and puts Stephenville up there as the west coast location. Conversely, we rarely get mentioned during the weather reports on the NL news - CBC does more frequently but we're still usually in smaller font like Glovertown or something and often passed over. CTV Halifax, especially Morning Live on CTV2, gives current conditions and forecast for us everyday.

Also, our air connections to St. John's are notoriously awful (2 flights a day Monday-Thursday, 1 on Friday, 0 on weekends) and often get cancelled for no reason other than not enough tickets sold. Compare that with 11,000 people who joined a Facebook group to campaign for Porter Airlines to open a route between YJT and Halifax and you get a sense of where people want to/need to go.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 8:42 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

I wonder how large the impact of bringing the Sens' "farm team" (AHL affiliate) to Belleville will be. Will Leaves/Habs fans change allegiance over time? Will new blood be baptised in the wonderful Sens bath?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 10:36 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
I think a good portion of western Newfoundland might fall under Halifax's sphere rather than that of St. John's.

Last night I was at a meeting for our local senior hockey team and one of the matters discussed was whether a player who is from here but attends university in Halifax is considered to be a local player or not, for purposes of import status rules. We argued this for a solid hour and the whole time referred to Halifax as the place that we're likely losing players to, not St. John's.

I also noticed that CTV out of Halifax includes Newfoundland on their weather map and reports, and puts Stephenville up there as the west coast location. Conversely, we rarely get mentioned during the weather reports on the NL news - CBC does more frequently but we're still usually in smaller font like Glovertown or something and often passed over. CTV Halifax, especially Morning Live on CTV2, gives current conditions and forecast for us everyday.

Also, our air connections to St. John's are notoriously awful (2 flights a day Monday-Thursday, 1 on Friday, 0 on weekends) and often get cancelled for no reason other than not enough tickets sold. Compare that with 11,000 people who joined a Facebook group to campaign for Porter Airlines to open a route between YJT and Halifax and you get a sense of where people want to/need to go.
Good points, except it's much more expensive and longer travel time to travel from Stephenville to Halifax, which includes a ferry. Stephenville to St. John's surface travel is both faster and much cheaper, basically for the price of gas. Therefore there is more interest in travel by air to Halifax. In BC, likewise, many people will chose to travel from Vancouver to Victoria by air to avoid the ferries, even though the airports are only 40 miles apart.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 10:54 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
I think times change, My parents rarely went 'into the city' as Prairie kids, but now its a lot more ubiquitous for traveling to any city for anything, weekly grocery shopping trips/appointments. My nephew learned to swim in pool with weekly lessons in Regina an hour from where he lives, I learnt in a lake. My niece learned piano in nearby city.

Medicine Hat has some influence, particularly commercial/retail trade with SW Saskatchewan & Fort McMurray has some influence for people in Buffalo Narrows & LaLoche in NW Saskatchewan, Much like Saskatoon has influence over The Pas & Flin Flon in Manitoba.

Google maps shows 5 hrs driving time Saskatoon to Edmonton, 6 hours Saskatoon to Calgary.
The way I look at it, a proper sphere of influence entails the city in question having a material social, economic or otherwise tangible effect on the surrounding area. I don't think that just because a place is within driving distance of a city, that the city has any particular influence over it. If Edmonton fell off the face of the earth, would that affect Central BC at all really ? I doubt it. Most of the resource jobs in the Central/ North areas are with Vancouver or Calgary based companies, so I'd say those two have more influence than Edmonton would

Another way to look at it, Kelowna for instance has in the past 20 years developed into quite the playground for lower mainlanders, and I would guess than the local economy in Kelowna depends to a certain degree on the wealthy Vancouverites buying lakeview houses and dining in the upscale restaurants and otherwise contributing to the economy. A half an hour up the road in Vernon, That is not in any way close to being the case. So one could say that Kelowna is probably within Vanocuver's sphere, but Vernon probably isn't

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
I wonder how large the impact of bringing the Sens' "farm team" (AHL affiliate) to Belleville will be. Will Leaves/Habs fans change allegiance over time? Will new blood be baptised in the wonderful Sens bath?
I can definitely see that happening. In addition to the arrival of Belleville Senators, there's also the fact that Kingston is slowly switching from the Leafs to the Sens, and Belleville tends to follow what Kingston does. Eventually most of the 613 will probably be Sens turf.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 6:20 AM

And who knows? Maybe the Sens will eventually fill their arena when the Habs or the Leafs aren't visiting.

But to get off hockey attendance, it's been a while since I lived in Kingston, but the city must have changed a great deal if the primary big city orientation of most folks is not either to Toronto or Montreal, depending on the circumstances of the individuals.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 7:36 AM
Hmm....

Quote:

Sort of... A day trip to Saskatoon from Regina... not a big deal, just a little over 2 hours. If you're going to any sizable city further away, it's 5+ to Winnipeg, 6+ to Calgary, and 8-ish to Edmonton. The major cities are generally more spaced out in the prairies than they are in the East (with much less in between and virtually no transit options). So yes, a trip will generally entail a bit more of an event to make it worth it.

As for some of the influence maps showing NHL teams on Saskatchewan... Sask doesn't really have regional affiliations for the NHL anymore. In the older populace it's definitely Montreal vs Toronto, but I generally find that anyone 30 and younger will usually match up with whichever team was hot when they started to become interested. A lot of younger kids are fans of Chicago and Pittsburgh... We're pretty isolated/self-contained in a lot of ways for that kind of thing. The Riders rule over everything... The Rush have started to pick up interest (and that carries into Regina a bit too). The Huskies and Rams have a fair amount of passing interest (Huskies definitely have more of a following in Stoon than the Rams do in Regina). And then the Hilltops/Thunder and the WHL get a fair bit of play. A lot of the other non-provincial sports get media attention, but the interest is far more sparse and spread out rather than one outside region influencing the dynamic.

(Other Saskies, feel free to dispute that.. but it's the way it seems to me).

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 8:51 AM

I think we shouldn't see "spheres of influence" as discrete entities with hard boundaries. In reality, there is a lot of overlap between between these spheres. One place can fall under multiple spheres of influence. That place probably has its own sphere of influence too. A sphere of influence might be partly an extension of one or more spheres of influence. It is very similar to the concept of culture. Maybe what we are really talking about is a city's culture, its cultural influence. Because what we are really talking about is people, and how they are connected to places, not just physical connections but also social connections. And of course when we talk about cultures, we are not talking about discrete entities either, because cultures also overlap and interact and influence each other.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada