HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 12:38 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

The Rooftopping Thread

W5 investigates the dangerous sport of rooftopping.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/w5-investig...ping-1.3269987

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 1:14 AM
I am the law!

I wholeheartedly believe this thread should be closed. This is an open online forum and the resulting visual images could encourage some fool to try it out for themselves and get themselves killed or worse, severely injured.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 1:49 AM

There's an idiot in this forum who already posts a bunch of pictures of himself or a friend sitting on the edge of tall buildings

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 1:58 AM
HVAC guru

Fucking parasites is what they are

Cool & fun until someone dies and the owner of the building has to face the consequences. It's why my roofs are always one of my most protected areas because of idiots like that

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 2:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I wholeheartedly believe this thread should be closed. This is an open online forum and the resulting visual images could encourage some fool to try it out for themselves and get themselves killed or worse, severely injured.
The fact that it's such an issue seems to be all the more reason to discuss it.

Anyways I call hypocrisy on all of you all.

You want brave people to build your buildings and yet you criticise these same personality types for exploring them.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 2:15 AM

Uhhh, well when it is being built there are safeties in place, you know being tied off so you can't plunge to your death, shit like that. When I'm working on a roof if I'm within 6' of the edge I've got a fall restraint system on so I can't get over the edge and fall.

Now a guy or gal sneaking on to the roof to get "cool" pictures hanging over the edge is idiotic. You never know when you might slip and you're done. Shit happens.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 2:23 AM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
The fact that it's such an issue seems to be all the more reason to discuss it.

Anyways I call hypocrisy on all of you all.

You want brave people to build your buildings and yet you criticise these same personality types for exploring them.
Stupid comment of the week right there

I've had to deal with the consequences of people jumping off parkades. It's not "cool" & "fun" to see someone splattered on the street after a 10 story double barrel backflip. The towers I manage are secured because we really don't want to deal with the consequences of some stupid brat who thinks he or she is both invincible and above the law

Building owners will almost always prosecute trespassers on roofs to the fullest extent because it's dangerous up there and these turds have no clue what the dangers are

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 2:24 AM
Midtowner since 2K

I really despise the idea of rooftopping. I've heard people used to do it before just for fun, but partly due to the rise of social media, now it's popular to "roof" and get a few photos from the vantage point. I know a few people in my school (high school) who do it and it's just sounds so pointless to potentially threaten your life, your legal standing with the law, and another persons life just to seem cool and get a few photos/or enjoy the experience (which can be arguable if one really enjoyed it, depending on the circumstances like if their guilt tripped into it or whatever).

I really don't like how on say Instagram, it's just really popular to roof, which in almost all cases is done ILLEGALLY. The poses and sitting posts are really getting redundant to keep seeing pop up, and I mean, building management sometimes must deal with damaged locks and busted up doors because of trespassers.

I think the only photos that I see from the top of buildings is from electricians or related peoples who work in that field of utilities who'll occasionally be contracted to do work on the roof for say a replaced generator/heater etc.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 2:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Stupid comment of the week right there

I've had to deal with the consequences of people jumping off parkades. It's not "cool" & "fun" to see someone splattered on the street after a 10 story double barrel backflip. The towers I manage are secured because we really don't want to deal with the consequences of some stupid brat who thinks he or she is both invincible and above the law

Building owners will almost always prosecute trespassers on roofs to the fullest extent because it's dangerous up there and these turds have no clue what the dangers are
There's a difference between people breaking into a worksite, and the people being mentioned in that documentary.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 2:40 AM
HVAC guru

^ No, zero difference Stryker. If you are not doing it legally with permission, it's all the same

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 2:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLee(Toronto ) View Post
I really despise the idea of rooftopping. I've heard people used to do it before just for fun, but partly due to the rise of social media, now it's popular to "roof" and get a few photos from the vantage point. I know a few people in my school (high school) who do it and it's just sounds so pointless to potentially threaten your life, your legal standing with the law, and another persons life just to seem cool and get a few photos/or enjoy the experience (which can be arguable if one really enjoyed it, depending on the circumstances like if their guilt tripped into it or whatever).
Life is pointless, there's a difference between someone climbing 30/40 stories, and some idiot climbing to the second story of a some building.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 2:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
^ No, zero difference Stryker. If you are not doing it legally with permission, it's all the same
I'm sure going to the moon, etc all dangerous and pointless no point in risking life ever.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 2:44 AM
HVAC guru

^ you clearly are having trouble understanding the difference between doing something lawfully and safely, and endangering your life and possibly someone else's for your own selfish pursuits

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 2:46 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Life is pointless, there's a difference between someone climbing 30/40 stories, and some idiot climbing to the second story of a some building.
I don't mean suicide, I'm not discussing that ideal, but yes, that is something I can see being a part (although VERY small) of the rooftopping issue. I purely meant that as a risk.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 2:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I don't mean suicide, I'm not discussing that ideal, but yes, that is something I can see being a part (although VERY small) of the rooftopping issue. I purely meant that as a risk.
I'm not talking about suicide I"m talking about a risk versus benefit scenario.

People take risks all the time that are not worth it.

The level of risk of this activity is greatly exaggerated when your not talking about direct suicides, or people who are just clearly not experienced in what they are doing.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 2:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
^ you clearly are having trouble understanding the difference between doing something lawfully and safely, and endangering your life and possibly someone else's for your own selfish pursuits
What difference?

Just because something is illegal or legal doesn't make a strong case towards its safety.

Life isn't black and white, and my point was plenty of people have been put at risk because its their job, I'm not gonna pretend that people shouldn't do what they want with their own time.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 2:55 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

I am a hypocrite, because I enjoy the pics posted from those vantage points, but I also believe these people should somehow be prevented from doing what they do. The risk is far too great.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 2:56 AM
HVAC guru

Quote:

The level of risk of this activity is greatly exaggerated when your not talking about direct suicides, or people who are just clearly not experienced in what they are doing.
Oh really ?

That is a load of crap. You don't really have a clue what you are talking about

When you're cleaning the spatter off the sidewalk it doesn't matter if they did it intentionally or not

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 3:00 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
I'm not talking about suicide I"m talking about a risk versus benefit scenario.

People take risks all the time that are not worth it.

Well I mean that's the thing, it's VERY circumstancial. For example; someone is just not feeling well but is brought along by their friend who decides to break into a rooftop access of an existing rental property that's say.....8 floors tall, to do a shoot and have fun. Maybe the inexperienced friend brings a case of beer, drinks some, gets drunk and slips off in a drunken wander, maybe the inexperienced friend slips off trying to do some kind of photo concept which involves more risk than what he thought.

It's just an activity that pretty dang well always involves at least some kind of somewhat substantial bit of risk. When a group or individual decides to do and commit to it, with full knowledge of the possible consequences or not, many different things can occur, such is fate and the very ways in which life does occur.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 3:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Well I mean that's the thing, it's VERY circumstancial. For example; someone is just not feeling well but is brought along by their friend who decides to break into a rooftop access of an existing rental property that's say.....8 floors tall, to do a shoot and have fun. Maybe the inexperienced friend brings a case of beer, drinks some, gets drunk and slips off in a drunken wander, maybe the inexperienced friend slips off trying to do some kind of photo concept which involves more risk than what he thought.

It's just an activity that pretty dang well always involves at least some kind of somewhat substantial bit of risk. When a group or individual decides to do and commit to it, with full knowledge of the possible consequences or not, many different things can occur, such is fate and the very ways in which life does occur.
You can fall down a false set of stairs in a 2 story bungalow.

I don't think anyone is making an absolute statement that trespassing is always good.

However the video being discussed is specifically about people who have gone through a great deal of planning to engage in the activity, for photographs that people are actually interested in.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada