HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 4:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Still with curling in Quebec...

The sport most definitely has a presence in Quebec. Though it's far from being as big as in the rest of the country.

Quebec has often been competitive at the Brier, and even won it in 2006.

Only the second time it won in the tournament's history.

The Brier hasn't been held in Quebec in about 30 years I think...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 4:27 PM

^ I had to google Quebec's Brier win in 2006... I don't even remember that. It's funny how Guy Hemmings stands out way more in my mind despite the fact that he didn't win (but came close, twice)... that guy was a huge fan favourite.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 4:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I had to google Quebec's Brier win in 2006... I don't even remember that. It's funny how Guy Hemmings stands out way more in my mind despite the fact that he didn't win (but came close, twice)... that guy was a huge fan favourite.
The skip who won in 2006, Jean-Michel Ménard, is very well-known in curling circles in my area. He's originally from Abitibi but has lived in Aylmer (Gatineau) for a long time. His wife is also a very successful curler.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Watched the Hearts earlier. For some reason I can't stand watching the Brier. I especially loathe having to watch Team Jacobs. Watched a bit of Jacobs' play today but had my eyes more on the pre-season baseball on the other screen.
I don't follow curling that much but I prefer the men's brier over the women's (scotties). The shrill, high pitched screaming of the women is a turn off. With Saskatchewan's Laycock team not in it this year, I think my favorite brier team is the Jacobs' team. Being athletic, muscular with tattoos, sure doesn't make it hard on the eyes either.

With the new smaller venue formate of the brier these days, its great to see new parts of the country hosting. It seems to have been an even split between Ontario, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Rest-of-Canada each evenly hosting the event over the years..

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 2:48 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Absolutely loathe this change. Whose "colours" will the 16th team wear? They don't represent anyone but themselves at that point really. It starts to take away from the whole idea of the championship. I'd rather they cut the territories down to 1 team for the 3 (Yukon and Nunavut still struggle to field competitive teams). They could also cut Ontario down to 1 provincial team. The original reason if I remember correctly was travel difficulties, but let's be honest, Team Jacobs travels extensively on the tour circuit... So, 10 provinces, 1 team for the Territories, and the previous National champion all in one big tournament. No pools
Such disrespect for Northern Ontario!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 2:50 AM
I am a typical

We'll only have to split that Ontario team back in two in 2024 when Northern Ontario becomes it's own province.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Still with curling in Quebec...

The sport most definitely has a presence in Quebec. Though it's far from being as big as in the rest of the country.

Quebec has often been competitive at the Brier, and even won it in 2006.

Only the second time it won in the tournament's history.

The Brier hasn't been held in Quebec in about 30 years I think...
I agree that it doesn't have the same overall presence there but
I find that in Quebec it really depends on the region and sometimes even just the municipality when it comes to curling. Maybe it's somewhat like that in Ontario too? I can tell you that a higher percentage of people in Northern Ontario have curled than in the GTA.

The curling clubs in Timmins, Rouyn-Noranda and Val-d'Or are all quite similar and many were started by mining companies.

When I look at places with curling clubs I see very similar characteristics of those places in Ontario and Quebec that have them.

-more frequent in resource-based communities (many clubs were started by mining and forestry companies)

-they also seem to be more frequent in agricultural-based towns

-more likely to be found in smaller isolated communities

-larger cities that have them don't really have more than one or two clubs and they tend to have been started by the wealthy and some only welcome people willing to pay a lot in order to become members

-there are some large cities that don't have them

The oldest curling club in Canada is the Montreal Royal Curling Club which was founded in 1807.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 11:19 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Overheard a group of middle-aged women raving about St. John's today in line for coffee. They were chatting with the server and going on and on about how much fun George Street is and how many fit young guys were hitting on them, etc. They were praising the shopping and the liveliness of it all and I was smiling, enjoying the guilty pleasure.

Then... they were from Iqaluit.

Gushue lost his first match today. Second starts in 10.

All of the tourism orgs here cannot believe how willing TSN has been to broadcast all the footage they've provided. It's saving us a fortune on campaigns.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 12:02 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

There's been a lot of talk on the radio call in shows (from locals) that the Newfoundland fans are being shameless in cheering loudly when anyone playing against Newfoundland misses or otherwise throws a poor rock. Apparently, that's not normal but they've had curling fans phone in from the mainland who said it's becoming normal as curling attracts fans who aren't curlers (this is apparently new).

Is it true? Is it shameful? They still gave a hearty round of applause to the teams that beat Gushue in the end.

Also, for all the talk about how big curling is here, it really does seem that most people - like me - never really heard tell of it until Gushue won. Even the hosts of the call-in shows said they didn't know if it was normal to cheer at those times. It's all new to them.

We just like winning anything on a national/international stage. Doesn't matter what it is, population reacts like it's their cultural foundation stone.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Mar 8, 2017 at 2:09 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 12:38 AM

Cheering when the other team makes a mistake is definitely a curling fan faux-pas.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
Cheering when the other team makes a mistake is definitely a curling fan faux-pas.
Especially a faux-pas if you're doing that as the opposing team!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
There's been a lot of talk on the radio call in shows (from locals) that the Newfoundland fans are being shameless in cheering loudly when anyone playing against Newfoundland misses or otherwise throws a poor rock. Apparently, that's not normal but they've had curling fans phone in from the mainland who said it's becoming normal as curling attracts fans who aren't curlers (this is apparently new).

Is it true? Is it shameful? They still gave a hearty round of applause to the teams that beat Gushue in the end.

Also, for all the talk about how big curling is here, it really does seem that most people - like me - never really heard tell of it until Gushue won. Even the hosts of the call-in shows said they didn't know if it was normal to cheer at those times. It's all new to them.

We just like winning anything on a national/international stage. Doesn't matter what it is, population reacts like it's their cultural foundation stone.
Curling is a bit like golf, a "gentleman's game" with a fairly buttoned-down code of etiquette for players and fans. However, big events tend to draw a lot of uninitiated fans who don't know those codes... so you end up with hockey game style hooting and hollering when it doesn't really belong there. It's tough to fault the St. John's crowds for their enthusiasm, though.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 3:54 PM

History of Brier Champions - Alberta Rules!

In the last 50 years, there has been one juggernaut province in the Canadian Brier scene, Alberta. They have won 19 titles in that time (20 if you include Pat Simmons win as team Canada in 2015). Manitoba and Ontario are the only other 2 provinces with a significant number of Brier championships in that time: Manitoba with 11 and Ontario with 7.

In the last 20 years, Alberta has been even more dominant winning 10 (11 if you include Pat Simmons win as Team Canada in 2015) championships. The only multiple title winners in that time are once again, Manitoba and Ontario with 3 each.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
In the last 50 years, there has been one juggernaut province in the Canadian Brier scene, Alberta. They have won 19 titles in that time (20 if you include Pat Simmons win as team Canada in 2015). Manitoba and Ontario are the only other 2 provinces with a significant number of Brier championships in that time: Manitoba with 11 and Ontario with 7.

In the last 20 years, Alberta has been even more dominant winning 10 (11 if you include Pat Simmons win as Team Canada in 2015) championships. The only multiple title winners in that time are once again, Manitoba and Ontario with 3 each.
Well, at 3-5 they're not looking so hot this year.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 11:14 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Tied for second. There's still hope

A friend who works as a bartender downtown said a visitor was surprised George Street is there year round lol. She thought it was set up for the brier. I love it.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 12:08 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

They're still on about the cheering. Apparently some of the other teams are getting annoyed, but Gushue days is been that way at all the briers he's been to.

Manitoba's McEwan had a great quote. Basically said they thought it was strange when cheers went up after they missed a couple shots, but it was nice to shut the crowd up through most of the rest of the game lmao. I love him.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
They're still on about the cheering. Apparently some of the other teams are getting annoyed, but Gushue days is been that way at all the briers he's been to.

Manitoba's McEwan had a great quote. Basically said they thought it was strange when cheers went up after they missed a couple shots, but it was nice to shut the crowd up through most of the rest of the game lmao. I love him.
Where are you hearing/reading about this?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 1:05 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Everywhere. Telegram, VOCM, NTV, and CBC have all mentioned it. Curling Canada's FB posts are getting comments about it. CBC did a whole hour-long radio show about it.

It's even the hot brier convo on Twitter literally right now:

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Everywhere. Telegram, VOCM, NTV, and CBC have all mentioned it. Curling Canada's FB posts are getting comments about it. CBC did a whole hour-long radio show about it.

It's even the hot brier convo on Twitter literally right now:

I don't see the big deal with it. People will complain about everything. I was just on the Curling Canada FB page and there is a debate going about a team celebrating after a win. One girl has an issue with Manitoba passionately celebrating on the ice after a big win.

As long as the crowd isn't booing or heckling another team, I personally don't see the big deal. Would they prefer the crowd be dead and quiet?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 1:31 PM
Closed account

Do you curl? I'm not and I don't follow it, but I get the impression that sportsmanship is a pretty big deal in the curling world.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada