HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 11:25 PM

Hopefully not, otherwise a self-driving car would be both cheaper and more convenient, as opposed to only being more convenient.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 11:28 PM
Still optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
that's not what people will have to pay.
I stand happily corrected. Although I'm still not clear on what passengers will pay.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
I stand happily corrected. Although I'm still not clear on what passengers will pay.
I don't think that info was in there; probably still TBD at this point.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
le coût sera par zone. Je ne crois pas qu'ils vont charger 25$ par personnes par jour pour les gens de Deux-Montagnes.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Yikes! 70c/km? That means that someone in Deux-Montagnes will be paying more than twice what they are now, from $9 to almost $25!

I get that it's better service, but I certainly wouldn't be able to afford a $50 return ticket for an evening in town... And I can only imagine what the monthly rate must be. Currently, AMT's adult train-only passes are about 20x the price of a single ticket. If the same ratio were to apply, that means that the REM would be over $500 per month.
70c/km is what CDPQ Infra will charge the ARTM, not what the ARTM will charge the users.

The ARTM will be the authority in charge for setting the all the fares for all transit modes in and around Montreal. (buses, Metro, commuter trains, REM). It is not yet known if the new integrated fare grid will be zone-based or distance-based. All we know is that the new fares will be comparable to what users are paying now.

If the forecasted ridership for the REM materializes, it is expected that the transit subsidy budget throughout the Greater Montreal area will only increase by 2-4%, so it is unlikely that fares will increase by more than that percentage.

From the urban user's perspective, it's very likely that in the city using the REM will be included in the STM fare, which will probably have risen to $90 in 2021

From the suburban user's perspective, it's very likely that it will be just like the current AMT TRAM fare zones. So the monthly cost for Longueuil and Laval users might be $150-155 instead of $145 now, and the zone 5 fares for outer suburbs like Deux-Montagnes and Vaudreuil might be $175-180 instead of $167 now.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 1:38 AM
gettin' rich!

So Toronto just approved a most useless subway to Scarborough, for 3 billion dollars and an underground $200 million bus terminal.

I can't be this is happening, we need to pay for subways downtown.

Eglinton is getting LRT why does Scarborough want a Subway?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 5:07 AM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
So Toronto just approved a most useless subway to Scarborough, for 3 billion dollars and an underground $200 million bus terminal.

Because suburbs.

Toronto has just approved the most wasteful transit project in Canada unfortunately.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 5:37 AM
Look at me!

Toronto's hinterland is huge. Much bigger and populous than the actual "old" city. Perhaps this is why TO keeps getting screwed transit-wise?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
Because suburbs.

Toronto has just approved the most wasteful transit project in Canada unfortunately.
Yup, I can't fathom that the province and federal governement will fund parts of it while they are "studying" all projects in Quebec and Ottawa. BTW the Quebec finance minister said basically, that feds or no feds, the REM project is going ahead in Montréal. I still can't believe how the federal government dropped the ball on transit investments. The Québec government is still mad about it and it shows.

BTW, the REM is supposed to MAKE money for the governments, and not LOSE money like other transit projects in Canada. So how is it fair that transit projects are basically done on the whim of politicians in other provinces and my taxes are paying for that? I'm still furious that Ottawa LRT is not light metro because of this.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 12:10 PM

With the vote, the Scarborough Subway can officially take over the title of the most wasteful infrastructure project in Canadian history away from the Regina Bypass.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 12:18 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post

Who cares, it's done, one less transfer for those commuting, saving time. This will shutup the suburbs for a few decades while we focus on the DRL and hopefully eventually another line along Queen St. Westbound to Dundas West Station (on Bloor). Another subway eventually from Sheppard-Yonge station to the University line (Downsview or Yorkdale stations) and then our subway system will finally be complete.

Also, further stations along the Scarborough subway route can be added in the future as needed.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 1:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
Yup, I can't fathom that the province and federal governement will fund parts of it while they are "studying" all projects in Quebec and Ottawa. BTW the Quebec finance minister said basically, that feds or no feds, the REM project is going ahead in Montréal. I still can't believe how the federal government dropped the ball on transit investments. The Québec government is still mad about it and it shows.

BTW, the REM is supposed to MAKE money for the governments, and not LOSE money like other transit projects in Canada. So how is it fair that transit projects are basically done on the whim of politicians in other provinces and my taxes are paying for that? I'm still furious that Ottawa LRT is not light metro because of this.
It's OK for people to feel frustrated, but does anyone really believe that when the chips are down, Ottawa won't be contributing a decent chunk of cash to the REM?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's OK for people to feel frustrated, but does anyone really believe that when the chips are down, Ottawa won't be contributing a decent chunk of cash to the REM?
It might sound odd for other provinces but the federal government never contributed for any metro construction or commuter rail in Québec. So for a "partner", they sure are not doing a good job at it.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 7:33 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
It might sound odd for other provinces but the federal government never contributed for any metro construction or commuter rail in Québec. So for a "partner", they sure are not doing a good job at it.
Now that you mention it...

You got me thinking.

It's true that Gatineau's Rapibus system did not get federal funding. Or if it did, it came in a very indirect, roundabout way. Via a decision made in Quebec City, not Ottawa.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 8:35 PM

Before the 21st century it was rare for the federal government to fund transit infrastructure at all.

The vast majority of Toronto's subway network didn't get any federal funding at all, ditto with the Montreal metro.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 8:37 PM

Quote:
I dunno about Montreal, but in Ottawa, our mayor says he's gotten confirmation from Sohi's office that Phase 2 of the LRT will get its federal funding in the coming weeks.

Quote:
Well, technically, the Ottawa LRT will "make money" in the sense that it will reduce operating costs considerably from what they are now, due to the huge volume of bus service that will be replaced with cheaper-to-run LRT. It's not insignificant either--Phase 1 alone is expected to reduce costs by $15 million a year.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 2:56 AM
User Registered

London's approved a BRT plan, but it does not include the tunnel on Richmond street due to projected cost overruns and opposition from locals and businesses. There will be an at-grade rail crossing for the north-south route without it.

http://www.lfpress.com/2017/05/15/lo...y-brt-decision

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 5:17 AM

I think London will start applying real pressure on Ottawa to get CN & CP to share track thru London to get rid of that stupid CP grade crossing which has been plaguing the city for decades on one of the city's busiest streets, a major bus corridor, and the city's premier shopping, nightlife, café, and restaurant mecca, Richmond Row. The trains go by at a snail's pace 8 times a day including rush hour.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 4:00 PM

How can they even claim that is BRT...

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 4:35 AM

Quote:
I'm still furious that Ottawa LRT is not light metro because of this.
What difference would this really have made? They are building the LRT like a light metro anyway. It's on a fully segregated exclusive ROW with complete grade separation. I fail to see what difference making it a "metro" would have been.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada