HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Loop by Claridge I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 7:25 PM

Harley613
Ottawa is not lacking parks in any way in fact we have to many as it is now.As for tall buildings with in reason its good but to have a tall building in every case no that is not good to just have tall buildings does not increase quality of life as is aid many times it does decrease quality of life in soem ways.

Last edited by reidjr; Dec 15, 2010 at 7:40 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 9:18 PM

I think that there needs to be a balance, and in Ottawa that balance is not there. I don't think 50 storey buildings would suit Ottawa, but I do think a few structure in the range of 30-35 would really add to the scape without infringing.

This building along with Tribeca are a great start to rebalancing view. I also maintain that the more the developer gets out of the project, the more they should be expected to give back to the city.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
I've always imagined turning Bank and Laurier into a plaza/square similar to Dundas or Times Square but with an elevated plaza, featuring an attention and crowd-drawing sculpture/work of art of some kind. I really wish I was given full control of this city sometimes...
That parking lot bordered by Albert, Kent and Queen would make a good plaza/square.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 10:37 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
That parking lot bordered by Albert, Kent and Queen would make a good plaza/square.
I believe something is slated to be built there if I'm not mistaken.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
Isn't that the site of the next phase of Place De Ville?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:
I've always imagined turning Bank and Laurier into a plaza/square similar to Dundas or Times Square but with an elevated plaza, featuring an attention and crowd-drawing sculpture/work of art of some kind. I really wish I was given full control of this city sometimes...
I've always thought the parking lot Queen and Kent would be a good place for a large plaza (over underground parking). Maybe we can become co-emperors of Ottawa and shake things up a bit!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
Isn't that the site of the next phase of Place De Ville?
Unfortunately yes, but when the economy tanks and takes planned projects with it, I am going for the plaza!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Unfortunately yes, but when the economy tanks and takes planned projects with it, I am going for the plaza!
Brookfield's plan is/was for three 19-storey towers (it used to be called PdeV phaseIII, but I don't think they use that name anymore). I think the 19-storey tower planned to replace the Podium Building at PdeV Phase II will get built before anything happens in the Queen-Kent-Albert parking lot.

In any event, there's no reason that lot couldn't accommodate the three towers and a nice plaza.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2010, 7:53 PM

reidjr

you are right. ottawa is not lacking parks at all, we have an incredible amount of greenspace. it's the CBD specifically that is lacking parks and public plazas. if we keep filling entire blocks with double and triple tower developments it doesn't leave any room for these.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2010, 8:04 PM

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE of what i'm talking about. sorry about the 2 minutes photoshop hack job. tall, slender towers. same square footage, but leaving more space in the CBD for parks & plazas. that way we can achieve the desired density without creating a row after row of stumpy buildings with wind tunnels between them.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2010, 8:32 PM

Like others have said you need balance just having tall buildings is not the way to go and it does not increase anything.As for parks even in the core with in the green belt there is a done and no i am not talking about green space these are parks.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2010, 10:28 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
Like others have said you need balance just having tall buildings is not the way to go and it does not increase anything.As for parks even in the core with in the green belt there is a done and no i am not talking about green space these are parks.
He's proposing that we at least put a few true skyscrapers up every once in a while, not have us become Manhattan overnight.

I also find it funny that there are many in Ottawa who believe that having shorter towers limits a wind-tunnel effect.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
He's proposing that we at least put a few true skyscrapers up every once in a while, not have us become Manhattan overnight.

I also find it funny that there are many in Ottawa who believe that having shorter towers limits a wind-tunnel effect.
Having skyscrapers every where does not improve your quality of life are some needed yes but not in massive amount.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Having skyscrapers every where does not improve your quality of life are some needed yes but not in massive amount.
No one's suggesting a massive amount...

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Nelson View Post
Some are there was a posters on the ottawa sun a few weeks back that wants every building torn down and replaced with skyscrpaers.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 10:31 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Some are there was a posters on the ottawa sun a few weeks back that wants every building torn down and replaced with skyscrpaers.
I find that incredibly hard to believe, even for here...

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
I find that incredibly hard to believe, even for here...
I am not making this up this person was posting saying he is young and wants something to be proud about he went on to say he wants all the old buildings torn down and replaced with tall buildings.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 10:50 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
I am not making this up this person was posting saying he is young and wants something to be proud about he went on to say he wants all the old buildings torn down and replaced with tall buildings.
Ahem, proof?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2010, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Ahem, proof?
I will say this i admit i was wrong i found a post by that poster and what they want is taller buildings not tear ever building down.

Last edited by reidjr; Dec 21, 2010 at 1:22 PM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2010, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Nelson View Post
A start of a couple of 35-40 story modern looking towers would do wonders for the most boring skyline in Canada and the 3rd most boring skyline of any north American city with a population of 1 million plus.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa