HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Dec 22, 2006, 12:48 AM

yes letting nature do its part is the best thing

Old Posted Dec 22, 2006, 1:59 AM

sick joke boyz. I'll laugh hillariously when something you love is destroyed too.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2006, 2:09 AM
I am a typical

Well now you're just being an asshole.

No body wants to replace Stanley Park with fake trees.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2006, 2:10 AM
senior something

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
weird

i have seen fake trees disguised as Cell phone towers before in south africa - they were all over the place - i thought to myself - what weird trees they have down here - lol

sort of like this

they also had ones like these

I saw then in SA too; same reaction: "that's one weird lookin tree!". Apparently a lot of shanty towns have them put in, they get some money from the telecom companies. Not to mention that despite living in a lean-to, a good chunk of people in living in these places still have cell phones.

I'm not the guy from Subway.

Last edited by Jared; Dec 22, 2006 at 5:23 AM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2006, 2:27 AM
I am a typical

They're everywhere. They're called 'Camouflaged Cell Towers'

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/faketree.htm
http://danbricklin.com/log/celltowers.htm
http://www.utilitycamo.com/sites.html

There is one that I seem to remember for some reason, that looked like a giant petunia? I think it was in Jersey..

Old Posted Dec 22, 2006, 2:35 AM

Thats sorta cool, I guess they are better than regular cell towers, but not really.

And Yogiderek, if you cant learn to laugh a bit about a few trees being knocked down in a natural windstorm what the hell are you going to do when there is a real tragedy in your life? grow up man.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2006, 2:42 AM
I am a typical

They're what sparked my interest with utility towers, aside from the 300 metre tower standing in my back yard as a kid. It was actually 5 blocks away, and I didn't see it up close until High school. (It's beside the high school)

Some of them are pretty good, like the ones in Italy in one link, you can't tell its a tower. The palm tree ones are terrible, though. I hate both palm trees and ugly things, and that's both combined!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2006, 6:39 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Thats sorta cool, I guess they are better than regular cell towers, but not really.

And Yogiderek, if you cant learn to laugh a bit about a few trees being knocked down in a natural windstorm what the hell are you going to do when there is a real tragedy in your life? grow up man.
I laughed out loud when I saw the Synthetic Trees comment.
Oh man... now I've got Radiohead's "Fake Plastic Trees" in my head.

Last edited by twoNeurons; Dec 22, 2006 at 6:41 PM. Reason: added quote

Old Posted Dec 23, 2006, 8:20 PM

Police rescue man trapped in Stanley Park
Updated Thu. Dec. 21 2006 11:06 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Vancouver police have rescued a man who had been trapped in Stanley Park since last Friday's brutal wind storm.

The storm uprooted, toppled and damaged an estimated 1,000 trees in the park. Some of those trees apparently prevented the 59-year-old man from fleeing for safety.

"He was basically penned in by the fallen trees," said Supt. Steve Sweeney.

"He wasn't crushed by them or stuck under them. He was weak and frail and unable to climb out and extricate himself from the situation."

The man was able to call 911 using a cellphone, and managed to give officials enough directions that they were able to find him in the sprawling, 400-hectare park.

Police were stunned that the man had survived for five days with little food.

"He had a little bit of food in his backpack and survived from rainwater and what he had with him. It's amazing," said Sweeney.

The man's cellphone provider had cancelled his service almost a year ago, but he was still able to contact emergency services.

Doctors treated him at St. Paul's Hospital for exposure and dehydration.

Police are unsure if he's one of about 15 homeless people who live in the park. Officials had thought they were all accounted for, although Vancouver Mayor Sam Sullivan said Wednesday that two could still be missing.

One homeless man, Laurence, told CTV Vancouver that he barely survived Friday's storm, after a tree crashed down right beside his tent.

"I was kind of like, God must love me because he let me live through it," he said with a grin.

Just to make sure no one else may have been trapped in the park, police used two helicopters with infrared cameras to scour the area for any signs of human life, but found nothing.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...hub=TopStories

Old Posted Dec 23, 2006, 10:36 PM

An estimated 3,000 trees were blown down in Vancouver's Stanley Park during a fierce windstorm on Dec. 15. The west side of the park is still closed as crews continue their cleanup efforts.

Damage to Stanley Park is shocking
'It looks like a bomb went off,' as Province team tours site of devastation

Kent Spencer, The Province
Published: Friday, December 22, 2006

The damage to Stanley Park is shocking.

Province photographer Sam Leung and I had our first look behind the barricades yesterday.

The trees are gone along Park Drive at Prospect Point. Remember the pleasant green light falling through the overhead canopy during the summer? It was like a magic kingdom.

No more. That quaint tree-covered lane is now a useless mass of junk, good only for firewood.

Where there was a closed-in feeling, now there is only sky, giving an unwanted feeling of openness.

Chainsaw crews have cleared the road, doing an amazing job of climbing up bent-over timbers and sawing them off partway up without harming themselves.

At eye-level one senses the enormity of the carnage rather than taking it all in.

In its utter destruction, it is impressive. Thirty-metre timbers snapped off in midsection; four-metre-high chunks of mud and root from the base of fallen-over giants, which lie invisible among the mass of brush; four-metre strips of bark ripped off in the death throes.

"It looks like a bomb went off," said Sam.

Saws have been going full-time to reopen the road, but trees are still hung up and ready to go. It looks like it will be dangerous for some time to come.

At one point, a pair of bald eagles circled high above. They were making odd "ooh-ooh-ooh" sounds, like distress calls. Sam explained why. The park's ecology society told him the eagles had lost their homes. Two of four nests, which can weigh up to 500 kilograms, were blown down.

We weren't the only curious ones.

Helicopters buzzed overhead. One circled a dozen times, the people inside no doubt as amazed as we were by the scene of destruction.

Occasionally, a person appeared, silently taking pictures, like they were looking at a grave. No words were exchanged. It wasn't a place for conversation.

kspencer@png.canwest.com
© The Vancouver Province 2006

not much i can say.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 8:18 PM

wow

seems the expected christmas storm is hitting the island - some areas are having category 2 hurricane winds

the cam they showed on the news in victoria was shaking pretty wildly

Old Posted Dec 24, 2006, 10:20 PM
Website Manager

reading that Province article reminds me how pampered city slickers are

Old Posted Dec 25, 2006, 12:53 AM
samsonyuen

What a shame

Old Posted Dec 25, 2006, 8:43 PM

Regarding the question of cleaning up the debris or not that’s on the ground. I heard that if they leave it the way it is that it will be a high risk for a forest fire to occur in the dry months. I say clean it up! I don’t want a fire burning everything down even if that would be part of a natural process. Stanley Park has always received special care. We have to remember that it’s not some wild rugged forest, rather it’s an urban park.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2006, 12:09 AM

Took the bike out for a ride around the seawall today. Couldn't get all the way round, so I took some of the trails that were "shut". It's pretty bad. Lots of fallen trees.

I just hope they plant more trees than were blown down so that in a 100 years time or so it looks even better than today. We are never going to see it looking so good again though.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2006, 1:09 AM

according to the news i saw the otehr day they haven been getting a lot of money but it doesn't seem that much really - something like $125,000 $75,000 of that coming from corporate donations

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 5:25 AM
blog this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post
reading that Province article reminds me how pampered city slickers are
Why did you type this? I don't get it - how are we city slickers 'pampered' because of these few simple paragraphs in the Province? Am I so pampered that I don't get your point? Please explain.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 5:32 AM
I am a typical

You're pampered because if a tree blows down, people are on it like THAT *snaps fingers simultaneously with the word 'THAT'*. When you live out in the sticks, it would be days, or even weeks before trees are cleared and power is restored. City's always have priority. Yes, they do deserve it, but still. That counts as pampered.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 10:01 PM

well they had to clear the trees that fell in teh causeway and roadways - it snarled traffic for hours

otehr than that most of the park hasn't been cleared yet apparentyl

Old Posted Dec 30, 2006, 1:21 AM
Cheers!

Pampered? You get what you pay for.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion