HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 10:34 PM

A major earthquake could hit the B.C. coast any day now or in hundreds of years, quak

must be that time of the month for the regular "quake" is going hit Vancouver story....

Quote:
A major earthquake could hit the B.C. coast any day now or in hundreds of years, quake expert from Washington state says

Doug Ward, Vancouver Sun
Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2007

WEST COAST - The Big One could hit the B.C. coast any day now or hundreds of years from now, says an earthquake expert from Washington state.

Major earthquakes registering about 9.0 on the Richter scale occur about every 500 years along the fault zone extending from mid-Vancouver Island to Northern California, geologist Tim Walsh told an emergency planning forum in Richmond.

The area, known as the Cascadia Subduction Zone, separates the Juan de Fuca and North American tectonic plates and is where the oceanic crust of the Pacific Ocean is pushed toward and beneath the continent at a rate of 40 millimetres per year -- the process that is called subduction.

The Cascadia subduction zone is a very long sloping fault that stretches from mid-Vancouver Island to northern California.

The last major subduction earthquake in the zone occurred in January, 1700 -- which means that a major earthquake is probable sometime between now and the next few hundred years, said Walsh, geologic hazards program manager of the Washington Department of Natural Resources.

Walsh said it is difficult to predict what impact a major earthquake would have on downtown Vancouver given that no modern city has been hit by a subduction earthquake.

"Certainly the Lower Mainland is a great distance from where the strongest ground-shaking would be," Walsh told reporters, after speaking to the Emergency Preparedness for Industry and Commerce Council forum.

Walsh said that a large subduction earthquake would cause a major tsunami and noted that the earthquake in 1700 generated a tsunami that travelled across the Pacific Ocean and hit Japan.

Geologist Tim Walsh says Arthur Laing Bridge among those vulnerable to a quake.
Photograph by : Stuart Davis, Vancouver Sun, files

Walsh said such a tsunami could send a three- or four-metre surge down the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

Walsh said areas with water-saturated sands such as Richmond and other municipalities in the Fraser Delta basin would be much more susceptible to ground-shaking than areas with bedrock.

Vancouver International Airport and connecting bridges would be vulnerable, he said.
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...c59e48&k=16492

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 11:00 PM

So, a major quake will happen some time between tomorrow and hundreds of years from now..

THANKS!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 11:50 PM

i know isn't that great!

they seem to do these stories once a month out here

its also all over the seattle news too

i guess its because of the quake in indonesia the other day

Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 11:54 PM
Cheers!

Got my flashlight sitting on my fridge, so I'm ready.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 1:30 AM
Change is good

rinse, lather, repeat...

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 1:36 AM
Briareos Hecatonchires

There was a similar sky-is-falling article like that in the Canada section - a month ago. I'm sure some of you remember that.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 1:44 AM

yup - they always do this when there is an earthquake anywhere in the world - telling us locals to expect it here...

my local (suburb) paper has an article on earthquake kits

they must just recylce the same article each time

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 1:52 AM

Cool, I can't wait to roast marshmellows over any open fissures or possible lava flows.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 3:00 AM
Im smasher000 xD

so either me or my kids will live to see a huge earthquake.. great!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 3:46 AM
I am a typical

Everyone move the Thunder Bay! It doesn't rain, it doesn't flood, it's only cold for two weeks! And there are no earthquakes!

(At least not ones you feel anyway)

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 4:21 AM
Kevin Folds Five

A giant tornado could hit Edmonton again any day or in a hundred years.

Hell - giant robot sharks with frickin' laser beams could also land their ships on the Leg Annex Building and use it as their hive! Any day! (one could only hope)

It's fear mongering. I'm sure the residents of Van are all very aware that the risks of a major Quake are there, and to prepare themselves for the worst. (one can only hope)

BTW - is there anything (besides insurance policies that may or may not respond...) the city has planned - as far as funds go - a disaster fund? I'm completely ignorant...

See Alberta has this "heritage fund" that will be there to provide the funds when the aforementioned sharkbots land.... or when the oilpatch dries up and we all need pogi.... etc.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 4:31 AM
I am a typical

It's spelled Pogie.

Thunder Bay is prepared incase of a Tsunami! Council held an emergency session in 2005 AND had a 120,000$ study put into it!

We also have preparedness plans should terorrists fly a plane into the skyscrapers we don't have, or we should have a major earthquake along the fault lines we don't have.

Thunder Bay: If it won't happen, we're ready for it!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 5:02 AM
David

it wasn't even a slow news day.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
It's spelled Pogie.
It's a point of provincial pride that we don't even know how to spell poggy or welfair.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 6:01 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
It's spelled Pogie.
Pogey.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 6:10 AM
I am a typical

Dammit!

Oh well. I don't even know where to go to sign up for it. Lately, every office building is "The Government Building".

Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 8:27 PM
Mac User

Why are they even trying to predict earthquakes? They can't even predict the weather properly.

Obviously it is a pretty safe bet that sometime between now and hundreds of years from now we will get an earthquake.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 8:50 PM
ILYR

It may seem silly that every month or two they have an article saying that a earthquake may hit tommorrow or a hundred years from today. But, I can tell you that if a earthquake does hit, say next year, everyone who survives will complain that they didn't have any warning and the city and government weren't perpared for the emergency.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 2:58 AM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
blah blah blah earthquake blah blah blah tsunami blah blah blah Mt Ranier blah blah blah second coming of Christ blah blah blah monkeys flying out of Coldrsx's butt...

things to add to the list of "any day now"

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 3:44 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
yup - they always do this when there is an earthquake anywhere in the world - telling us locals to expect it here...

my local (suburb) paper has an article on earthquake kits

they must just recylce the same article each time

do you have an earth quake kit? or some sorta kit incase of an emergency we all should have a kit of some sort you never know what will happen thats just part of life as they say in boy scouts be prepared!

its not a matter if one will happen its just a matter of when.......

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion