HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Loop by Claridge I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 28, 2010, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOttTor View Post
A start of a couple of 35-40 story modern looking towers would do wonders for the most boring skyline in Canada and the 3rd most boring skyline of any north American city with a population of 1 million plus.
Its not the most borig sky line in canada not even close is it great no .I get people want a few tall towers and yes that would be nice but a tall skyline does not make it exciting as for ottawa's skyline now yes it could be better but don't think just having tall towers makes it exciting.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2010, 2:42 PM

Hey everyone, happy holidays! Just dropping by this forum and see what's up since I've moved back to TO.

As I am reading the posts from reidjr, he/she continuously reiterated that having many tall buildings decrease the quality of life. I'd just like to provide my two cents. I am living in downtown and am loving it here. Yes, there are many highrises and many more are proposed/under construction, but I don't find that they decrease quality of life in any sense. People choose to live here for different reasons (night life, shopping, close proximity to everything), just like in Ottawa. And like myself, most tend to stay in downtown once they know what it is like to live here. Therefore there must be a good reason why downtown has many inhabitants. If done and planned right, having many high-rises is not inferior to having many low/mid-rises. It is the infrastructure around the buildings that need to be right. Traffic congestion is of course the biggest concern, therefore good subway and public transit is essential. There are times that traffic can be a problem in downtown TO, but what city doesn't? At least there are no 18-wheelers running on downtown streets. In addition, there needs to be many places such as parks and waterfront amenities that sometimes allow you to forget you're in a city, likewise in Ottawa.

And I totally agree that Ottawa needs to ease up on its height restriction. Having a few slender taller buildings will break up the stumpy feel and do wonders to the skyline. Bringing more residents to the core will make the city more vibrant and create more competition for downtown businesses.

Cheers.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2010, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor2Ott View Post
Hey everyone, happy holidays! Just dropping by this forum and see what's up since I've moved back to TO.

As I am reading the posts from reidjr, he/she continuously reiterated that having many tall buildings decrease the quality of life. I'd just like to provide my two cents. I am living in downtown and am loving it here. Yes, there are many highrises and many more are proposed/under construction, but I don't find that they decrease quality of life in any sense. People choose to live here for different reasons (night life, shopping, close proximity to everything), just like in Ottawa. And like myself, most tend to stay in downtown once they know what it is like to live here. Therefore there must be a good reason why downtown has many inhabitants. If done and planned right, having many high-rises is not inferior to having many low/mid-rises. It is the infrastructure around the buildings that need to be right. Traffic congestion is of course the biggest concern, therefore good subway and public transit is essential. There are times that traffic can be a problem in downtown TO, but what city doesn't? At least there are no 18-wheelers running on downtown streets. In addition, there needs to be many places such as parks and waterfront amenities that sometimes allow you to forget you're in a city, likewise in Ottawa.

And I totally agree that Ottawa needs to ease up on its height restriction. Having a few slender taller buildings will break up the stumpy feel and do wonders to the skyline. Bringing more residents to the core will make the city more vibrant and create more competition for downtown businesses.

Cheers.
I don't know how many times i have to say this i will say it again i am not aginst tall buildings i am aginst alot of tall buildings the idea it increase the quality of life is false.Yes in some cities tall buildings is not greatest is having just shorter buildings the way to go no you need a even balance.As for parks in ottawa thats not a issue ottawa has tons of parks and green space you could say there is close to heeing to much.In toronto don't forget they have one downtown and yes its smart in ottawa's case things are spread all acrosse the city.As for more companys and people living downtown again the issue is so much is spread city wide in toronto for the most part offices etc are in the downtown core thats not the case with ottawa.Ottawa is a bit unique because of its land size one if not the biggest city in the country.Again i am not aginst tall buildings i am just against mass taller buildings there has to be a even balance.Just to add don't forget in toronto you have you ways meaning you don't need to drive every where etc in ottawa thats not the case the road downtown are very important.I am all for a few 40 story buildings no question about that.

Last edited by reidjr; Dec 28, 2010 at 6:05 PM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
I don't know how many times i have to say this i will say it again i am not aginst tall buildings i am aginst alot of tall buildings the idea it increase the quality of life is false.Yes in some cities tall buildings is not greatest is having just shorter buildings the way to go no you need a even balance.As for parks in ottawa thats not a issue ottawa has tons of parks and green space you could say there is close to heeing to much.In toronto don't forget they have one downtown and yes its smart in ottawa's case things are spread all acrosse the city.As for more companys and people living downtown again the issue is so much is spread city wide in toronto for the most part offices etc are in the downtown core thats not the case with ottawa.Ottawa is a bit unique because of its land size one if not the biggest city in the country.Again i am not aginst tall buildings i am just against mass taller buildings there has to be a even balance.Just to add don't forget in toronto you have you ways meaning you don't need to drive every where etc in ottawa thats not the case the road downtown are very important.I am all for a few 40 story buildings no question about that.

I believe that the point people are making is that taller buildings can be preferable in the sense that they make it possible to get the same density with a smaller footprint - i.e. leaving more space for plazas, squares and open space. Since developers always look to maximize floorspace, the effect of the height restriction is that buildings become chunky monoliths filling every square foot of the site. By allowing taller, slender buildings, Ottawa could actually increase the amount of open space in the core. That generally makes it a more pleasant place for pedestrians, residents etc.

That is how taller buildings can increase the quality of life for those living and working in the area.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I believe that the point people are making is that taller buildings can be preferable in the sense that they make it possible to get the same density with a smaller footprint - i.e. leaving more space for plazas, squares and open space. Since developers always look to maximize floorspace, the effect of the height restriction is that buildings become chunky monoliths filling every square foot of the site. By allowing taller, slender buildings, Ottawa could actually increase the amount of open space in the core. That generally makes it a more pleasant place for pedestrians, residents etc.

That is how taller buildings can increase the quality of life for those living and working in the area.
I agree with that with some taller buildings it would have a cleaner look.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 3:25 PM

At least all of these new buildings going up will increase the overall size of the downtown and centertown skylines, and add some more street canyons, which will eventually look nice when more of it's done...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
At least all of these new buildings going up will increase the overall size of the downtown and centertown skylines, and add some more street canyons, which will eventually look nice when more of it's done...
I am excited about what donwntown will look like in the next few years.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 5:35 PM

Crossposted from General Updates.

Developer presses forward with Centretown tower

Local developer Claridge Homes says it won’t wait for the completion of a community planning initiative before it moves forward with a new 27-storey condominium in Centretown.

Claridge recently submitted an application to amend zoning bylaws that would let the proposed apartment tower grow taller and wider than current rules allow.

If approved, the tower would span 89 and 91 Nepean Street (between Metcalfe and O’Connor streets), and it would sit beside a nine-storey apartment building and seven-storey office building.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 7:59 PM

dianne holmes is piping up about a building being too tall for centretown? will wonders never cease? i sincerely wonder if, in her head, she imagines ottawa will have no buildings in centretown over 30 stories in 2050 when we have 2 million people.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
dianne holmes is piping up about a building being too tall for centretown? will wonders never cease? i sincerely wonder if, in her head, she imagines ottawa will have no buildings in centretown over 30 stories in 2050 when we have 2 million people.
do you really believe that Ottawa's population will continue to grow at 2% a year (average) indefinitely? I wonder what industry all of those new people would be working in?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
do you really believe that Ottawa's population will continue to grow at 2% a year (average) indefinitely? I wonder what industry all of those new people would be working in?
Ottawa is a fast growing city and there are no signs it will slow down any time soon 3-5 years down the road who knows if we will keep growing at this pace.There are some pushing for mass immergration some have said they would like canada to bring in 100 million new canadians over the next 20 years so if that did happen ottawa would be a fair size.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I can easily imagine that... as long as we allow other areas of town to grow to 20 storeys (or above).

There are about five cities in the world that are what they are because they have tall buildings. Ottawa is not, and never will be, one of them.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Ottawa is a fast growing city and there are no signs it will slow down any time soon 3-5 years down the road who knows if we will keep growing at this pace.
We are a one industry town, that industry has been growing very quickly over the past ten years, and Ottawa's population has grown quickly at the same time. But that period of growth in the federal public service is coming to an end. Unless we develop new industries, I don't see where the jobs will come from to to support continued population growth.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Ottawa is a fast growing city and there are no signs it will slow down any time soon 3-5 years down the road who knows if we will keep growing at this pace.There are some pushing for mass immergration some have said they would like canada to bring in 100 million new canadians over the next 20 years so if that did happen ottawa would be a fair size.
I'm not sure I would agree with those demographics. Even if ottawa can keep up its 1.5% growth, it would take along time before there was any particular need to build significantly higher buildings. Personally I think the opposite is probably more likely - that a shrinking federal workforce and aging population would force down the prices of the overbuilding of recent years. The 100M immigrant thing was one guy's opinion - there doesn't seem to be a particular pressure for such a policy.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I'm not sure I would agree with those demographics. Even if ottawa can keep up its 1.5% growth, it would take along time before there was any particular need to build significantly higher buildings. Personally I think the opposite is probably more likely - that a shrinking federal workforce and aging population would force down the prices of the overbuilding of recent years. The 100M immigrant thing was one guy's opinion - there doesn't seem to be a particular pressure for such a policy.
What you say make sense. I would add the consideration that th retiring demographic will be looking to downsize, and have a property which allows them to exercise freedom in their lifestyles. Based upon the concerns which you've presented, I would say that the suburban market are at the greatest risk while the core actually and the condo market stands to benefit from this shift.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 11:01 PM
National Capital Region

staff report
http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/cit...n%20Street.htm

height request is now 83.0 m

Quote:
Summary

In summary, the proposed increase in height to 83.0 metres (27 storeys) supports the direction of the Planning Act, Provincial Policy Statement and Strategic Directions of the Official Plan. The high-density residential development, which is located close to a transit station and in an area designated for high-profile residential buildings, will contribute to a greater housing mix and satisfies density targets for the City. Compatibility and design criteria, transportation and servicing have been addressed satisfactorily. The requirement for a holding provision will enable the provision of facilities that will benefit the greater community that can be secured in a site plan agreement for the development. The holding provision can be lifted once the requirements of the Site Plan Control are met and the monies for community benefits are secured. In light of the discussion above, the Department recommends approval of the Zoning By-law amendment application.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 5:18 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

(Unless I'm mistaking the project) I just heard on the news that the city's planning committee has approved this project at the proposed height.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac888yow View Post
(Unless I'm mistaking the project) I just heard on the news that the city's planning committee has approved this project at the proposed height.
Just heard this too.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
Just heard this too.
Wow if thats true thats a shock.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 8:02 PM

Looks like Claridge wants to bulit a second one right behind it too. They do love there twin's.

Cheers,
Josh

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa