HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:18 AM

I can appreciate the spirit of the planning team, but honestly they shouldn't be limiting these other areas to only 7 stories. That's a very low height standard. I understand if you don't want a 100 story building poking out in one of these neighborhoods, but 7 floors max!?! Even 20 floor buildings aren't that significant in height relatively speaking. The Buckingham/West/Kimpton Hotel project is case in point that it doesn't look that significantly tall. With its setbacks it doesn't even look out of place by itself.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 1:19 PM
Nashville born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Nevergold View Post
I can appreciate the spirit of the planning team, but honestly they shouldn't be limiting these other areas to only 7 stories. That's a very low height standard. I understand if you don't want a 100 story building poking out in one of these neighborhoods, but 7 floors max!?! Even 20 floor buildings aren't that significant in height relatively speaking. The Buckingham/West/Kimpton Hotel project is case in point that it doesn't look that significantly tall. With its setbacks it doesn't even look out of place by itself.
Agreed! Especially at this location which is essentially along the bluffs over the river. That location seem to demand high rise density.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:06 PM

Image released for ballpark-area apartment building
https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2...ment_buildling

Giarratana Midtown project lands permits
https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/..._lands_permits

March start targeted for South Inglewood condo development
https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2...do_development

Council OKs lease for public art piece Stix
https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/...art_piece_stix

HSDA approves $96M Centennial project
https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2...ennial_project

Old Posted Oct 25, 2014, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
Developers of a proposed apartment for the SoBro/Rolling Hill Mill area are seeking a variance to build an 11 story building.

The apartments would rise uphill a few blocks from the Music City Center Convention Center and command a great view from its proposed location.

And that is this weeks project announcement.

But, the week's still young!
The skyline view from the proposed project would be awesome from that hill...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 3:04 PM

Alas....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
The latest Nashville Development news; from the Tennessean;

The 16 story building remark is just a snarky remark on my part. There is no information about the ultimate height and I doubt even the developer knows yet.
This proposal is now dead. Such a short life. We hardly knew, ye!

From the Tennessean...

Quote:
Houston-based Transwestern no longer has the roughly 3.3 acres on Church Street across from Nashville Electric Service’s main offices under contract.

Trent Germano, the real estate company’s Atlanta-based managing director of development for the Southeast, confirmed its contract had expired, but he declined to provide the reason. “We’re still interested in Nashville,” he said.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 12:06 AM

A small but important project in the Gulch as the infill and density increases.

From the Nashville Post...

Quote:
Nashville-based Mainland Urban Development is targeting a groundbreaking early next month for its mixed-used project planned for Division Street in The Gulch.

The developer has released a rendering of the five-story building, which will be called 1000 Division and feature 31 apartments, about 6,500 square feet of ground-level retail space and underground parking. The project is being backed by equity partner T2 Capital Management out of Chicago and Columbia-based First Farmers & Merchants Bank. It is expected to be completed in early 2016.

It will fill an empty lot in the lower right corner of the picture.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 1:39 PM

Must watch TV (actually YouTube) The Aertson

A well done promotion for the Aertson/West End/Buckingham project which broke ground yesterday.

Aertson is apparently the Dutch name of some of the Vanderbilt ancestors (really reaching for a catchy naming connection, I think).

Some impressive screen caps of this impressive project.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 8:23 PM

Today...
Strange goin'ons in the race to build the next high rise office building in the downtown area...

Things we know;

1. Developer Tony Giantarra had bought two pieces of land in SoBro and proposed, first, a 41 story mixed use building named Sheet Music...

....then a 36 story version..

2. The Bridgestone Corporation (National HQ located in suburban Nashville) revealed its desire to relocate downtown creating speculation that either the Sheet Music site or the old Convention Center site may be prime candidates for the company.

3. Giantarra recently brought Highwoods of Raleigh on board to apparently partner in his effort to lure Bridgestone to his project (which would be more 'shovel ready' than the Convention Center site).

4. And now, Highwoods has bought the property..per the Tennessean...

In my humble opinion....this is encouraging news. Highwoods apparently has a successful track record in leasing buildings and deep pockets. I am open to the possibility that....

a. Bridgestone is looking at the SoBro site closely, and Highwoods is eager to accomodate....

b. Tony G. now has additional funds to start his 5th and Church, 60 story apartment.

We may have seen the advancement of two new tallests, today.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 9:19 PM

MidTenn, I so hope you're right about Sheet Music and 505CST. I'm still hoping that Sheet Music will be 40+ but not bad if a 36 story office building is added to SoBro. That will expand the skyline significantly from the downtown core but within the loop.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 7:30 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Over in nearby Bellevue:
===============

Developer plans 322-unit apartment project in Bellevue

Quote:
An Atlanta-based real estate investment firm is eyeing 30.5 acres in Bellevue for its first apartment community in the Nashville area.

Westplan Investors Inc. plans a 322-unit project on the site, which is under contract for purchase. The site is currently owned by Cedar Hill Community Church.

That deal is contingent on Metro Council approving specific plan zoning for the site.

[...]
================================
http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...evue/16870745/

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 7:32 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

In response to post #1788, earlier I updated the thread in the proposal section with some recent info. For the Sheet Music Tower, they are currently looking for tenants, which the article mentions. I'll add the images above too. Exciting times for Nashville.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 11:34 PM

The plot thickens with the Sheet Music office tower.

Highwoods expands prime downtown office tower site
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...ower-site.html

Change requested for site planned for Gulch tower
https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/...or_gulch_tower

Nashville West developers pursue huge Antioch project
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...e-antioch.html

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 1:31 PM

New development with the old convention center site.

The price for this project is now reportedly $400M, has been redesigned and apartments have now been added. It seems there will be at least two towers, and work is said to begin next summer.

Some of the numbers...

215,000 sq ft of retail, entertainment, and dining space
-350 apartments
-300,000 sq ft office tower (up to 18 stories)
-60,000 sq ft of "creative offices"
-140,000 sq ft conference center
-40,000 sq ft National Museum of African American Music
-2,500 parking spaces

This project is going to be HUGE for Nashville.

Photo by Gensler

$400 million project reimagines Lower Broadway
http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...dway/18446115/

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 2:17 PM

An overall rendering from the 'Tennessean's subscription site....(hence, the large logo on the picture)

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 2:53 PM

^Thanks for posting that up Pete.

While the towers aren't quite as tall as I would have hoped, this is no doubt a HUGE improvement over the older design. Very excited about this project!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRYDI View Post
^Thanks for posting that up Pete.

While the towers aren't quite as tall as I would have hoped, this is no doubt a HUGE improvement over the older design. Very excited about this project!
I agree with the height of the towers. I'm disappointed if they are anything less than 25 stories for that site. I would have rather seen one taller tower than two towers that might end up looking squatty. I also think I would have liked to have seen one of the towers address Broadway a bit more. But, the positive is something other than a block of concrete will now occupy the space.

I do like the idea that they will add streets into the project. It appears one street will run east-west between a tower on each side and at opposite ends. The other street seems to run from Broadway and goes north into the complex. It does not appear to go up to Commerce. I'm assuming it will stop at the new east-west bound street. This could be where the retail shops are located to make it more of a street scape shopping center.

Last edited by PillowTalk4; Nov 4, 2014 at 5:51 PM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 5:40 PM
Future God

The height of the towers aside, this is going to be a major game-changer for downtown Nashville. It's too bad the NHL All-Star game will be here before this gets finished!

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 6:29 PM

Here's a larger render that has a better resolution to it.

As far as the office tower portion goes, there's always the chance that Emery could land a major office tenant who needs more space then what he has planned, and end up increasing the height. With as tight as demand is right now, I could easily see that happening. It's still early in the game and Emery probably doesn't have any tenants lined up yet, and may just be planning a spec office tower for right now. Once this thing starts, and the leases start piling up, we may see this grow taller. I know I'm being the optimist here, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited by MIRYDI; Nov 4, 2014 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 6:59 PM

I'll gladly sacrifice height for extending activity up Broadway and also potentially bring about the renaissance of downtown retail. This massive project could kick it all off.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 10:27 PM

Can't disagree with the overall impact lower Broadway project will have on downtown. It certainly will be one of the biggest economic impact projects for downtown especially if the retail element comes to fruition. I just hope the retail element will draw the general population as much as tourist because that's what's needed for it to be truly successful.

Reading about the proposed Antioch project gives me hope that major retail will return to that area. I've never understood how such a densely populated area could lose so much retail. I like that they are including class A office space in the proposed project. As much as I like the growth in Brentwood, I'd like to see growth of office space in suburbs leading into the city. I doubt that the Nashville area will ever see 20+ story buildings in the suburbs as other major cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, there would be just too much opposition for that, but it would be nice to see developments that include 10-15 story buildings for both office, hotel and residential use.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations