HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 5:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
The project @ 10th & Mission <<< Still a parking lot on the south end and a hole in the ground on Market street, looking exactly the same.
Thanks for the effort but I think you're describing the 10th & MARKET project, which I figured was dormant. What I was wondering about was 10th & Mission--across 10th on a lot that doesn't go through to Market.

Quote:
Being quite familiar with Florida, I have to say that Orlando has a really cool downtown, small scale but much nice modern and older architecture; it's also very lively at night and a lot of fun. Jacksonville is rather dead downtown, but it has some great older architecture that has been preserved, including a beautiful movie palace. It's also very clean and pretty in a number of spots, especially along the Saint Johns River. Tampa has come a long way. It too has interesting architecture, a restored movie palace, Ybor City with it's night life, the University of Tampa and both the Hillsborough River and Tampa Bay. None of these compare to a San Francisco, Chicago, etc., but they beat the hell out of downtown Miami.
I lived in FL for 10 years (Winter Park) and partied in "downtown" Orlando and occasionally in Ybor City. I also worked at Duval County Hospital briefly in downtown JAX. I'm sure downtown Orlando, in particular, is better than it was (although I'm told Lake Eola is now homeless heaven)--it has highrises now at least--but all those places for many square miles are surrounded by sprawl and strip malls. You can drive from where my Mom lives in Ormond Beach to Tampa on I-4 and hardly be out of site of sprawl these days. I keep having random obsessive thoughts of taking advantage of the real estate slump to buy something near the family but if I did I'd try to find something out of the way of the I-95/I-4 axis--maybe around Palatka or Bunnel or somewhere north of Daytona, east of Gainesville. That area still seems most like the Florida I enjoy.

Last edited by BTinSF; Mar 21, 2008 at 5:47 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 5:40 PM

77 Van Ness is also still shrouded in black. There isn't much to see or photograph except it appears to be topped out at 9 levels. Exterior walls and framing is in place, but still waiting to receive exterior finishes. I believe 818 is also shrouded in black with white on the top like the Argenta is now. I concure with viewguysf on the status of the other projects BTinSF is asking for. Someone may want to photograph and post The Hayes on 55 Page Street though. The wraps have been recently taken down on that project.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 6:02 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks for the update on FSIII, BT. The Club NV building is no great loss (I have no opinion on the club itself). I assume they're still waiting for a tennant to begin construction.

Oh and thanks, viewguysf, for saving me the walk to the PUC site. I was going to head down there today.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 7:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Thanks for the update on FSIII, BT.
You're welcome. I'm just glad the building is still a go. We've been waiting a long time to see Foundry Square completed.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 9:17 PM

Quote:
The Club NV building is no great loss (I have no opinion on the club itself).
Club NV always struck me as a place that fits in better further west in SOMA. I do like Goat Hill Pizza and wish they could keep that in another building, but at least there still is the location on 3rd & Harrison.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2008, 9:28 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Maybe I should check it out. I see their "all you can eat" banner practically everyday, but I've never tried it. Not sure why...

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 1:08 AM
Only Mostly Dead

One Kearny update. They've poured the foundation, so it should start rising shortly. I imagine the rest of the tower crane will be delivered soon.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 8:25 PM
Sonoma Strong

Quote:
None of these compare to a San Francisco, Chicago, etc., but they beat the hell out of downtown Miami.
yea, i was seriously dissapointed in miami.

Quote:
Northbay420, I'm sure that you went over to Miami Beach and South Beach though...right?
of course!!!! it wasnt so bad there

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 9:17 PM

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the Renzo-Piano highrise proposal was ever released, or if it is even still on the table? With Millenium, 555 Mish and InfinityII topping out soon, I wanna see something something big going up soon, haha.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 11:55 PM
Pacific Wonderland

Refresh my memory, what is One Kearney again? I don't see it on the first page.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 12:28 AM
BANNED

Renzo Piano: His design wasn't released because it isn't done and can't be till he (and we) know the height limit on that lot which we won't until the Planning Department tells us what they want it to be this summer and the NIMBY's do what they can to lower it. All he has said is he wants it to be like stalks of bamboo or some such--the rest is guesswork.

One Kearny: This is not a new building, it's an addition to the savings and loan building on the northwest corner of that intersection, across from the Ritz Residences, intended to fill in the "gap-toothed" look one formerly saw looking north on 3rd St because the building next to One Kearny was shorter than the rest of the streetwall.

Here is the best rendering we have:

Source: http://www.archengine.com/resources/...-Primary-a.jpg

The architect also called the addition now under construction and the older addition on the corner "seismic bookends" for the historic part of the structure between them.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 4:29 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
One Kearny: This is not a new building, it's an addition to the savings and loan building on the northwest corner of that intersection, across from the Ritz Residences, intended to fill in the "gap-toothed" look one formerly saw looking north on 3rd St because the building next to One Kearny was shorter than the rest of the streetwall.

Here is the best rendering we have:

Source: http://www.archengine.com/resources/...-Primary-a.jpg

The architect also called the addition now under construction and the older addition on the corner "seismic bookends" for the historic part of the structure between them.
I've felt from the beginning that this is another piece of mediocre architecture for San Francisco, plus it will forever hide the one remaining beautiful dormer window on the old building. More schlock IMO, even if it does fill in the gap. It should have not risen above the main part of the old structure.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 7:19 AM
BANNED

^^^I'm not sure what you mean by "not rise above the main part of the old structure". It doesn't look to me like it does that--it stops at the cornice where the mansard begins and, unless my eyes deceive me, there's still a dormer window facing Market St. Still, I can't say I'm thrilled by the architecture of the new bit either, though. It looks very 1960's in the rendering.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 4:23 AM
BANNED

More on the Daniel Libeskind-designed Contemporary Jewish Museum of SF:

Quote:
Daniel Libeskind's buildings never fail to stir conversation—and even controversy—as his concept-heavy designs don't always translate smoothly into "civilian" life (the architect's perpetual challenge, no doubt). Libeskind was commissioned to design the new Contemporary Jewish Museum, an adaptive reuse of the Jessie Street PG&E Power Substation, after realizing the Denver Art Museum, his first project to be built in the United States. In traversing the new space— especially the main gallery on the second floor— we felt like Libeskind took more than a few notes from his experience with the DAM; the building was heavily criticized as being physically unconducive to hanging art work (not difficult to imagine given his propensity for angles of the anything-but-90-degree variety). Major problem, no? Here in San Francisco, however, we found a different story.

Conceptually speaking, Libeskind was inspired by the Hebrew phrase "L'Chiam," (To Life), and based his design on the two symbolic Hebrew letters of "chai"— the "chet" and "yud." The "yud" gallery (see the photogallery) is most reflective of this concept.

A variety of spaces, some skewed wildly and some less so were by and large conducive to their intended purposes (though we're a little fearful for the special events/ "yud" gallery, beautifully lit as it is); we saw a few superfluous nooks and an angle or two (or twelve) too many in spots, but at the risk of repeating ourselves— because we are, in fact, repeating ourselves) the second floor gallery is one of the better (or at least, more pleasant— large-scale spaces we've seen in San Francisco. (However, we're withholding our final judgment until we see how the space actually works once objects are installed— Libeskind's Berlin effort is a near disaster on that front, we think.)

Hope, people. Libeskind's building, Piano's CA Academy of Sciences— San Francisco just may be on an architectural upswing after all (if Gluckman Mayner behave themselves in the Presidio, of course).

The Facts:

· FACT: The building was designed by Daniel Libeskind; WRNS Studio Architectural Resources Group manned the preservation front.

· FACT: The museum contains 63,000 gross square feet of space; Exhibitions and Special Events galleries: 11,700 sq. ft. total; Education Center and gallery: 3,500k sq. ft. total; Grand Lobby: 2,500 sq. ft.; Multipurpose room: 3,300 sq. ft.; Museum Store: 2,000 sq. ft; Cafe: 2,100 sq. ft.

· FACT: The opening of the CJM marks the first time the PG&E substation will be accessible to the public in over one hundred years.

· FACT: Over 3,000 blue plates were installed on the outside. No, they will not fade or chalk given that no dyes or pigments were used to create the color. Instead, a procedure called "interface coating" was used to achieve their blue hue. Frank Gehry, take note: the cross-hatching of the panels is said to reduce glare on the building.

what the plans don't really communicate is the fact that there is only one single vertically straight wall in the entire building. Located in the first floor (lower image), this wall was DL's concession to the CJM staff. Almost everywhere else in the building, he's up to his usual spatially disorienting, curator-reviled trickery, albeit tempered in certain areas by the existing brick building. On the second floor, the larger main gallery highlights the intersection with the new building and the repurposed power station, and yes, while the walls are slightly askew, they're nothing like those in Libeskind's Berlin or Denver museums — buildings that make many less concessions.

Source of photos and text: http://sf.curbed.com/

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 4:37 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
One Kearny update. They've poured the foundation, so it should start rising shortly. I imagine the rest of the tower crane will be delivered soon.
Went by last night and the crane is now fully assembled.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 6:52 PM
Sonoma Strong

the jewish museum looks real good

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbay420 View Post
the jewish museum looks real good
Yes, I think so too. It must have been fun for the contractors to build. I wonder how they are going to keep people from putting their dirty shoes, etc. up on some of those leaning walls.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 6:29 PM
BANNED

Tidbit from Curbed SF: 766 Harrison St.

Quote:

Just checking in with 766 Harrison Street, SoMa's future high-end SRO. To recap: 98 incredibly tiny "studio" units, pricing not revealed yet, some of you love the idea and some of you hate it. The curtain hasn't risen yet, but some scaffolding has been removed and we can get an idea of what the finished facades will look like. After the jump: an early rendering / reality comparison.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Scheduled to open in June 2008, 766 Harrison Street is yet another contemporary residential building in SoMa. But there's something different about this one...what is it again? Oh right — The 98 studio units will be rentals. Rentals! In San Francisco! And with a convenient location right between a Whole Foods and a Mental Health Service Center, no less— it doesn't get any more "SoMa" than that. Each unit will come stacked with stainless fixture in concrete countertops, 8 data ports, in-floor radiant heating, and natural stone finishes in the bathroom. Not bad, 766. Not bad at all. Other perks include a planned ground floor cafe, 5 parking spaces for residents to fight over, and a public roof deck. Definitely worth keeping an eye on.
Source: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2008/0..._no_really.php

Personally, I love it. Much better than a cardboard box on Market St. Watcha all think?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Personally, I love it. Much better than a cardboard box on Market St. Watcha all think?
I love it as well. I really wish that we could get about 20-30 of this exact same type of building sprinkled in neighborhoods throughout the city.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2008, 5:44 PM
Sonoma Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
I love it as well. I really wish that we could get about 20-30 of this exact same type of building sprinkled in neighborhoods throughout the city.
i love how one wall (plus a little of the adjoining wall) is window. what a view that would be! the units do look pretty small tho, VERY SMALL - how much r these gonna cost? (do i even what to know? )

i think the city needs more than just even 30 to relieve the housing pressures. but progress is being made. this building is another good step in that process.
well..., maybe 30 is enough, i dont know, but we need A LOT of housing

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations