HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 5:14 PM

Why Does NIMBYism Suck?

Economics!

http://www.vox.com/2014/7/15/5901041...onomy-billions

Thought you guys might enjoy this article.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArconio View Post
Economics!

http://www.vox.com/2014/7/15/5901041...onomy-billions

Thought you guys might enjoy this article.
I'm not sure that article contains a fully-formed argument. It seems to jump from general principles to blaming NIMBYs without making a logical connection.

I think that they do have the right idea in looking at the NIMBY issue on a macro scale, rather than getting into the weeds on each project. What I'd really like to see is a comprehensive study of the types of projects that neighbours oppose, the types of arguments made, and the result of the opposition. I think that type of study would go a long way to identifying trends that are harmful to urban development.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 7:22 PM
Busy Beaver

I don't agree with that article entirely either. The higher living costs in larger cites actually give a leg up to smaller cities, spreading out opportunity to other regions other than the established ones. If housing and living costs in Silicon Valley were equal to that of Ottawa, there wouldn't be much of a high tech sector here or anywhere else. Another example is the high cost of movie making in Hollywood has been a boon to the film industry in Vancouver and Toronto.

A bit of NIMBYism, although annoying at times, is actually healthy instead of letting development go unchecked. It shows that residents are engaged in their community. If developers had carte blanche during the light-headed days of the dot com boom, we would have been left with a lot of surplus space. On the flip side to this opinion piece, inappropriate development has also cost the economy billions in waste, probably much more than NIMBY intervention has.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 7:53 PM

Recently read this article: http://sustainablecitiescollective.c...re-affordable? which sticks some holes in the original argument as well. Is it axiomatic that greater density lowers prices? Not always seems to be the answer.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 8:33 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Yeah, that article started off really well (calling for affordable housing) but fell flat after that.

In my opinion, NIMBYism often sucks because it is mostly based off of fear and ignorance of change, and simply delays projects rather than criticize and improve them. This adds extra time and money when it's unnecessary. This makes them annoying, and does impact the local economy in a small way.

I remember going to the Western LRT expansion Open House at City Hall, and I had to continually stifle laughter at how dumb, misinformed, and inane the vast majority of the comments and "concerns" were. Some of my absolute favourites were:

- "Children play around this area, and could easily lose a ball over the fence."
- "I live in a million dollar home, and this development will probably make my property worthless!"
- "I'm concerned because children could fall into the construction site."
- "What is the city going to do about the noise and the dust?"

I damn near died of having to prevent myself from bursting out laughing at those and several others. All the above is nothing more than fear or ignorance, as well as looking for something to complain about. Children lose playable projectiles all the time. Lost balls and Frisbees were a regular occurrence in the childhoods of my friends and I. It happens. The city is not responsible for a child's clumsiness and personal property. The woman who suggested a soon-to-be-worthless house has no basis for her exaggerated claim. No one can fall into a construction site because they are colourfully marked and blocked off from pedestrian traffic for pedestrian safety. Noise and dust are the side effects of construction. Little can be done to change that.

It's this kind of NIMBYism based on fear of change and simple ignorance that I have the greatest problem with. After all, very few people asked more relevant questions such as:

- "Why does/should the LRT route go through our neighbourhood?"
- "Can the city provide us with concrete benefits of having such a system in our neighbourhood?"
- "In exchange for letting this happen, can we at least feature local artists and/or a more 'traditional' architecture for the stations and route so it blends with the surroundings better?"
- "Which areas will be most affected by the construction and supply drop sites, and how will the city mitigate this?"
- "What is the NCC's role in this/What is the NCC's problem?"
- "Would/does such a system eliminate usable greenspace and/or impede pedestrian traffic and accessibility in any way?"

Nearly no pertinent, sharp, relevant, and topical questions such as the above were asked. Additionally, the whole damned affair went on far longer than it should have, costing people time and money and with nothing to show for it at the end.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Last edited by Jamaican-Phoenix; Jul 16, 2014 at 1:41 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 12:26 PM

Queen's gets a load of grief from Nimbys.

Quote:
Noise bylaw exemption granted

By Ian MacAlpine, Kingston Whig-Standard

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 11:55:22 EDT PM

Noise emanating from the Queen's West Campus fields will be allowed to continue until next June.

City councillors voted 12-0 on Tuesday night to allow Queen's an exemption to the Kingston noise bylaw for its west campus fields including Richardson Stadium where it has played football games on Saturday afternoons for more than 40 years.

But the university may lose council's support when the exemption expires on June 30, 2015, if Queen's is unable to suppress the excessive noise coming from the fields.

Mayor Mark Gerretsen argued during the debate that the exemption will give a chance for Queen's to figure everything out when it comes to noise mitigation.

Councillor Rick Downes agreed with the mayor.

“You're going to get my vote now but not on June 30th if changes arn't made.”

Queen's applied for an exemption to the noise bylaw after getting complaints from people living in the surrounding area about excessive noise from games and practices including yelling, cheering, whistles and amplified sound.

The city received 43 letters and a petition containing more than 100 signatures from concerned citizens opposing the noise exemption.

Queen's vice-principal Caroline Davis spoke on behalf of the bylaw exemption at the council meeting.

She admitted that the issue has been adversarial between the university and surrounding neighbours. She also regretted the fact that city councillors were inundated with emails and Tweets from supporters of the exemption that were rude and disrespectful.

"We're committed to working with the neighbours to find a solution that works," she said.

Davis added that the university made changes to their noise bylaw exemption proposal after consulting with neighbours and significantly scaled back their application.

"We're open and willing to hear about any further concerns," she said.

Donald Mitchell, a nearby resident of west campus and opponent of the exemption, said Queen's cannot contain noise from games at the fields.

"The more intense the field use the more the residents are impacted."

Another opponent, Susan Reid, quoted the World Health Organization when she called noise an "environmental contaminant."

She added that homes in the area are filled with young school-age children and the noise from evening games keeps them up at night.

She also said that Queen's has yet to invest in light and sound barriers.

"They need to build facilities that can co-exist with neighbourhoods," she said.

The temporary exemption is to permit intermittent noise from whistles and amplified sound for the playing of the national anthem and occasional public address announcements at its West Campus sports fields between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m., Monday to Sunday, including statutory holidays.

Queen's is asking that they also be allowed to play amplified music during their inter-collegiate football games at Richardson Stadium only.

A staff report to city council last week recommended that the temporary application be granted with some conditions including; making sure user groups keep sound to a minimum and posting signs at the fields and put the noise restrictions in contracts with the user groups, establish a call-in number for noise complaints, which Queen's staff will have to deal with within 24 hours and the city's bylaw enforcement department must be informed of the complaint. The city also wants to see the results of Queen's noise mitigation study.

The university as well is obligated to inform the bylaw and enforcement department of their field schedules from March 15 to Dec. 10.

Gerretsen sent out a news release on Friday putting his support and that of councillor Sandy Berg behind the temporary exemption, but wants the end date moved up six months. He wants the temporary exemption to expire by June 2015 rather than the end of 2015 as Queen's had first asked for.

After the decision Queen's director of athletics and recreation got the message that Queen's has some work to do over the next 11 months to reduce sound from West Campus.

"What we we given is the opportunity to continue to understand and work toward addressing the concerns of the neighbours, understanding that we still have to allow those activities to take place on the field, we still have to do more work. To me this is very much the next step in the process that will allow us to try and resolve those concerns so we can achieve that we're looking for."

Opponents against the exemption were unavailable for comment after the council meeting Tuesday night.

ian.macalpine@sunmedia.ca

twitter.com/IanMacAlpine

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 1:34 PM

Ah, the regular town-gown fights. One of the joys of Kingston.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy