HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 3:38 AM

Wholesale Club Ottawa

Look like it just opened in the East End (1435 Cyrville Road). Has anyone shopped here yet? Do you have to own a business to be a member?

They carry quite a bit of ethnic food as well.

http://wholesaleclub.ca/LCLOnline/wh...ub_members.jsp

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
Look like it just opened in the East End (1435 Cyrville Road). Has anyone shopped here yet? Do you have to own a business to be a member?

They carry quite a bit of ethnic food as well.

http://wholesaleclub.ca/LCLOnline/wh...ub_members.jsp
I've been to wholesale club in other cities. You don't need a membership for regular purchases (I would assume this one is the same).

It is sort of like Costco, but with fewer durable goods and more emphasis on restaurants.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 11:15 AM

Thanks. Bit out of my way from Barrhaven but will def. check it out if I were in the vicinity.

Always good to have more competition!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 1:20 PM
National Capital Region

Is this basically a re-branded National Grocers?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Is this basically a re-branded National Grocers?
Exactly. It's been there for as long as I can remember. Google Street View shows it there in 2007.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 10:12 PM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHeadroom View Post
Exactly. It's been there for as long as I can remember. Google Street View shows it there in 2007.
I remember it being there in the late '70s. My father was a heavy user of Beaver Lumber and Bytowne (Bonhomme) lumber yard that were adjacent to National Grocers on Star Top Road.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 10:22 PM
I am a typical

Wholesale Club is currently selling ground beef in 10 pound tubes for only $30!! It's an awesome deal if you like your beef tubular and unable to fit in a conventional fridge. The gallon of salad dressing is also a very good deal, as are the 48-packs of Pillsbury Pizza Pops.

As for the environment: How does "bare concrete floor with sodium arc lighting" sound? They don't take VISA because it costs too much. The interior is better than No Frills though: Olive green instead of yellow.

If you own a small business, this kind of place is indispensable. For the average person, many things come in quantities that you won't be able to use up before the product expires. It's a great place for toilet paper, not so much for carrots unless you're eating 12 of them every day for a month. The first time I went to one, I was blown away at the quantities some products were offered in. You can get a six kilogram box of ketchup packets for only $148! That's less than 7 cents per packet!!

Here is the actual, non-hyperbolic flyer.

http://eflyer.wholesaleclub.ca/cache...annerName=wclb

The first thing on the Western Canada/Thunder Bay flyer is 40-count boxes of hamburgers for 22.97 if you buy two. That's 80 burgers for 57 cents each! No limit! Buy 12! Gallon of pepper rings? 7.97. It's, like, 4.97 for half a litre of them at Superstore. A 2kg bag of cheese curds! 5 kilograms (That's 11 pounds) of Potato Salad in a plastic pail! 50 pound bags of onions, carrots and cabbage. A 4.2kg crate of tortilla chips. Buy 3 or more gallon jugs of bleach, save 10 cents on each one! A 1.5kg brick of cream cheese. A gallon of Sriracha. 3 kilos of hot pepper paste, whatever that even is.

There are memberships for regular customers. One deal advertised is a 9 kilogram box of pasta for only 13.97. Non-member price is 14.97.

I've been to it lots of times and work for a business that occasionally buys stuff from them, but it never ceases to amaze me at the quantities of some things. But then I have unloaded an entire tractor trailer full of just water bottle caps before so I guess everything is relative in the food production industry.

Last edited by vid; Aug 19, 2014 at 10:43 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation