HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daud View Post
was driving terry fox this weekend and saw an billboard for metric homes development at Trail View:

http://www.metrichomes.com/project.php?id=17

The billboard immediately caught my eye for the tag line "No Vinyl Siding!".

I just wanted to commend that approach as I personally can't stand vinyl siding and i wish the city would really limit the amount of it used in suburban developments. I know the alternatives can be more expensive but that siding can really look awful over time and whole neighbourhoods of vinyl siding built in the 80s don't look good at all.
clicked through and they are also advertising their income/secondary suites "Home within a home" ... progress

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 2:16 PM

Double Post...

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
clicked through and they are also advertising their income/secondary suites "Home within a home" ... progress
So... its a duplex?

"No No, its two separate units with different entrances in the same house, NOT a duplex."

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
This seems to be a trend... Phoenix Homes has a similar series of models with income suites.

http://www.phoenixhomes.ca/homes/incomeseries/

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 5:46 PM

Secondary suits are also attractive to people who are trying to house their aging parents.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 3:56 PM
National Capital Region

Urbandale buying up land between Barrhaven and Manotick... Minto owns a lot around there as well.

http://www.juteaujohnsoncomba.com/ne...2017_Sales.pdf

4174 Rideau Valley Drive North was
purchased by Urbandale Corporation
from named individuals for
$4,378,990 or $47,091 per acre. It is
improved with a two-storey dwelling
and three farm use buildings. James
Kenny of RE/MAX Hallmark and
Philip Zunder of Decathalon
Commerical Realty Corp. were the
agents involved in this sale.
4065 Prince of Whales Drive was
from Limerick Farms Ltd. for
$3,006,885 or $48,087 per acre. It is
improved with a three-storey
dwelling. The property was listed by
Commercial Realty Corp.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Urbandale buying up land between Barrhaven and Manotick... Minto owns a lot around there as well.

http://www.juteaujohnsoncomba.com/ne...2017_Sales.pdf

4174 Rideau Valley Drive North was
from named individuals for
$4,378,990 or $47,091 per acre. It is
improved with a two-storey dwelling
and three farm use buildings. James
Kenny of RE/MAX Hallmark and
Commerical Realty Corp. were the
agents involved in this sale.
4065 Prince of Whales Drive was
from Limerick Farms Ltd. for
$3,006,885 or $48,087 per acre. It is
improved with a three-storey
dwelling. The property was listed by
Commercial Realty Corp.
These lots back onto each other and combined would make up a big chunk of the land between Prince of Wales and Rideau Valley. I think its inevitable that Barrhaven will expand into Manotick. Its already more or less happened. Same with the other side of the river. Riverside south is moving southward pretty much to Rideau Road based on the latest Dev apps.

Since the opening of that bridge, Barrhaven, RSS and Manotick increasingly are becoming a large single area.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 8:34 PM

A friend in the know has stated that Riverside is going to be expanding southward and eastward at a rapid pace. In 30 or so years Barrhaven, Riverside South and Manotick very likely will feel as one large, continuous area.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 10:46 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixx View Post
A friend in the know has stated that Riverside is going to be expanding southward and eastward at a rapid pace. In 30 or so years Barrhaven, Riverside South and Manotick very likely will feel as one large, continuous area.
Lots of development coming forward; there was a meeting a couple of months ago for several of the applications
https://ottawa.ca/en/riverside-south...cation#1122738

Mattamy just got approval for Half Moon Bay West 1002 new units in Barrhaven South, mainly northwest of Cambrian and the new Greenbank
https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__0FUX7O

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Mattamy just got approval for Half Moon Bay West 1002 new units in Barrhaven South, mainly northwest of Cambrian and the new Greenbank
That's getting awfully close to the dump!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Lots of development coming forward; there was a meeting a couple of months ago for several of the applications
https://ottawa.ca/en/riverside-south...cation#1122738

These locations south of Riverside South are beyond the original community plan. I guess we should expect an explosion of growth in the not too distant future. Likely, as soon as the Trillium Line gets past the Greenbelt.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
These locations south of Riverside South are beyond the original community plan. I guess we should expect an explosion of growth in the not too distant future. Likely, as soon as the Trillium Line gets past the Greenbelt.
Nope same plan.. since at least 2010 (oldest copy of the CDP I have)

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caetura View Post
Nope same plan.. since at least 2010 (oldest copy of the CDP I have)
https://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/do...uth_cdp_en.pdf

Here is the latest 2016 Riverside South plan, which was immediately made out-of-date by the changes to the Trillium Line alignment.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
https://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/do...uth_cdp_en.pdf

Here is the latest 2016 Riverside South plan, which was immediately made out-of-date by the changes to the Trillium Line alignment.
Right but the comment from lrt's friend about this new Cardel/Claridge/Richcraft/Urbandale/HN development extending further south than the original CDP is not new & has not changed. The CDPs since at least 2010 have shown residential between River & Spratt all the way down to Rideau.

So much residential & no space for even a single convenience store. All those people will have to drive 10 minutes just to grab a bag of milk. The streets particularly in the south west corner have no quick connection to a main street.. it's almost labyrinth like.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 10:08 PM
National Capital Region

The Riverside South CDP is being updated for 2018 to reflect the new Leitrim/Trillium Line alignments
https://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/publi...an-2018-update

Found this presentation showing the pre-2006 N-S LRT planning for Riverside South
http://www.valueanalysis.ca/upload/p...ilinOttawa.pdf

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Right but the comment from lrt's friend about this new Cardel/Claridge/Richcraft/Urbandale/HN development extending further south than the original CDP is not new & has not changed. The CDPs since at least 2010 have shown residential between River & Spratt all the way down to Rideau.

So much residential & no space for even a single convenience store. All those people will have to drive 10 minutes just to grab a bag of milk. The streets particularly in the south west corner have no quick connection to a main street.. it's almost labyrinth like.
Agree and that's the biggest downside to living in RSS. I actually really love that area and if I do move back to Ottawa and am in a position to buy, RSS will be one of the areas I'll be considering and would enjoy living in.

I just hate how little retail is immediately available. I mean, sure it's nice that Gabriel's, RBC, LCBO, Plyomax etc are located together off of Limebank, but it's nothing big. The only grocery store close by is Independent and that's not the kind of place I (nor would most) get all of their grocery needs. RSS does not have any major retail like South Keys or Rio Can and its going to bite the area in the ass big time.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Agree and that's the biggest downside to living in RSS. I actually really love that area and if I do move back to Ottawa and am in a position to buy, RSS will be one of the areas I'll be considering and would enjoy living in.

I just hate how little retail is immediately available. I mean, sure it's nice that Gabriel's, RBC, LCBO, Plyomax etc are located together off of Limebank, but it's nothing big. The only grocery store close by is Independent and that's not the kind of place I (nor would most) get all of their grocery needs. RSS does not have any major retail like South Keys or Rio Can and its going to bite the area in the ass big time.
The Town Centre has not yet been built yet. It will come in time, as the community gets big enough to support it and if the Trillium Line can provide service there as the city is hoping.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 1:40 AM

Quote:
The CDP called for small commercial next to all the LRT stations, but with no LRT that clearly won't be happening.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
The Town Centre has not yet been built yet. It will come in time, as the community gets big enough to support it and if the Trillium Line can provide service there as the city is hoping.
Getting the Trillium line out there would do wonders, but it might be years away and I believe RSS is at the point, or very close to it, where it could support decently sized retail in the immediate vicinity.

Just hoping there are plans in the not to distant future to get the town centre going.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Getting the Trillium line out there would do wonders, but it might be years away and I believe RSS is at the point, or very close to it, where it could support decently sized retail in the immediate vicinity.

Just hoping there are plans in the not to distant future to get the town centre going.
By 2021, we should see robust retail development happening and some built up. I was very recently told "a couple of years" for all this to happen by a city official. It seems the arrival of LRT will be complemented with the arrival of the town centre.

Barrhaven is 5 minutes away by bridge and the lines are quite blurred between RSS and Barrhaven from a residents point of view. I shop in barrhaven all the time.

Development is very steady and the neighbourhood keeps growing. Driving down Earl Armstrong now from Limebank to the Vimy bridge is almost fully developed on both sides. Builders are pushing southward currently down river road and down Ralph Hennessy as opposed to eastward where the town centre will eventually go.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs