HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
According to the FAA, SAN is indeed a "major" airport.

https://www.faa.gov/airports/plannin...planements.pdf
Indeed-- San Diego is a Core 30 airport. The Core 30 airports are the largest and most significant airports nationwide.

http://aspmhelp.faa.gov/index.php/Core_30

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
According to the FAA, SAN is indeed a "major" airport.

https://www.faa.gov/airports/plannin...planements.pdf
Of course it is.

Don't take the bait next time.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Indeed-- San Diego is a Core 30 airport. The Core 30 airports are the largest and most significant airports nationwide.

We are on the "major airports" list, but of that list we are one of the least globally connected. In terms of Amazon's consideration, I'm not sure how much international travel their corporate employees do, but I tend to agree with eburress that our airport is more of a minus than a plus in any consideration of a company moving here. Granted, we are improving and I think the Lufthansa flight next year will help tremendously. On the very, very, very off chance Amazon did pick us for HQ2, I imagine that might spur more routes both domestic and international.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post

Out of that list of 30, where does San Diego International rank? 27. Again, does that sound "major" to you?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 11:59 PM

It doesn't matter what it sounds like, it's a fact lol

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 1:46 AM

Quote:

You're about to get a million reasons including the size of our airport about why SD is such a hot mess and a minor league city that probably doesn't deserve to exist and why Dallas is where it's at (and the rest of Texas) and how that's really the center of the universe. Lol

You've been warned...

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 3:31 AM

Quote:
I'll leave it at that and let Amazon give you and SD the bad news.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 3:37 AM

I didn't say anything about Amazon, I was just providing a fact about the airport directly from the FAA's website.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 4:29 AM

Does this affect anything this Amazon situation?

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...913-story.html

If they've decided to rent out some office space in San Diego already, I can't imagine them opening up even more, let alone their secondary HQ.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 8:18 AM

What's with the Texas trolls? Lol take your negativity elsewhere

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerellO View Post
What's with the Texas trolls? Lol take your negativity elsewhere
It would be more accurate to say, take my objectivity elsewhere. People in SD don't want to build a new airport but then wonder why things like Amazon HQ2 won't happen here. It's not trolling to point out the causality of San Diego's NIMBYism.

The reality is that Amazon has created a bidding war between viable cities...the usual suspects of Chicago, DC, Dallas, Atlanta...to get the richest possible incentive package. The going rate on relocation incentives is $10K per job, so one could imagine Amazon is going to receive $100M+ in cash from one of these places. Objectively speaking, do you think San Diego can compete with that? Do you think San Diego's NIMBYs would allow it to compete with that?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 9:14 PM
Registered San Diegan

Seattle builds more homes than SD does and they're still struggling affordability wise. I can't imagine what a tech boom would do to SD if there wasn't significant housing construction to go with it. Honestly, I'm okay with SD passing on the application until we get our shiza together. We need more homes, before more jobs.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburress View Post
It would be more accurate to say, take my objectivity elsewhere. People in SD don't want to build a new airport but then wonder why things like Amazon HQ2 won't happen here. It's not trolling to point out the causality of San Diego's NIMBYism.

The reality is that Amazon has created a bidding war between viable cities...the usual suspects of Chicago, DC, Dallas, Atlanta...to get the richest possible incentive package. The going rate on relocation incentives is $10K per job, so one could imagine Amazon is going to receive $100M+ in cash from one of these places. Objectively speaking, do you think San Diego can compete with that? Do you think San Diego's NIMBYs would allow it to compete with that?

He's exactly right. Boo Hoo to everyone who must endure living in such a terrible city in America like San Diego. The weather sucks, there's never anything to do, no jobs, life here is such a hardship.

I mean the city just isn't viable. We should all pick up and move to a real viable city like cowtown where we can enjoy lousy weather, be bored and have a viable life in a viable city.

I'm pretty sure one day all these dumb people in places like San Diego throughout California will realize what a big mistake we all made ever thinking to pick such a terrible place to live.

I'm glad we have such an objective voice here to tell us all the errors of our ways in thinking there is anything good about San Diego.

Bless your candid but certainly not trolling viewpoint....

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfan View Post
Seattle builds more homes than SD does and they're still struggling affordability wise. I can't imagine what a tech boom would do to SD if there wasn't significant housing construction to go with it. Honestly, I'm okay with SD passing on the application until we get our shiza together. We need more homes, before more jobs.

The article I posted on Amazon (which clearly wasn't local nor any of the other various business stories on the subject) had that as one of the negative impacts that would come with their HQ deal.

The housing crisis although pretty bad here is not just a San Diego problem. It extends into any number of other cities in the state and I've yet to see a silver bullet fix. San Francisco, Los Angeles, OC all are feeling the housing crunch that is a part of the high costs of housing and living here.

A lot of it comes down to how you feel. Do you like sprawl? Maybe you do but a number of other people don't. Do you want to see building like the east coast? Maybe you like that but a lot of people don't. Maybe you like the idea of high rises on the beach like Miami? Well there's even more that don't.

I'm not sure how every city is going to "solve" its housing problem (or not) but I don't see anything on the horizon for anything but a short term fix. A lot of economist have the US economy headed to recession in the next few years (2020 gets used a lot) with even the most optimistic seeing a pretty good slow down ahead so that should level off home values for a time.

I would expect every time home prices in the state start rising you are going to see regular dialogue on the need for new housing though. This is not a problem going away anytime soon.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv View Post
He's exactly right. Boo Hoo to everyone who must endure living in such a terrible city in America like San Diego. The weather sucks, there's never anything to do, no jobs, life here is such a hardship.

I mean the city just isn't viable. We should all pick up and move to a real viable city like cowtown where we can enjoy lousy weather, be bored and have a viable life in a viable city.

I'm pretty sure one day all these dumb people in places like San Diego throughout California will realize what a big mistake we all made ever thinking to pick such a terrible place to live.

I'm glad we have such an objective voice here to tell us all the errors of our ways in thinking there is anything good about San Diego.

Bless your candid but certainly not trolling viewpoint....

...San Diego is objectively not viable for Amazon HQ2, based on the requirements they stated.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 10:22 PM
Downtowner

SD's Amazing Airport

I have flown non stop from SD to Tokyo and London, easy in and out quick customs, amazing experience. I have flown many time in to DTW and been delayed hours to days because of weather and congestion.

I would say when everything is considered SD's International is among the top airports in the nation.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 3:55 PM

They should just ban the word 'Amazon' on this website until the announcement so people like eburress above can stop having hissy fits.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 10:09 PM
Registered San Diegan

So I don't think the proposed Pinnacle twins are out of the picture. The proposal for a single 40+ Pinnacle tower in the EV appears to be in-addition to them, not a replacement of them. Renderings and link to the Civic SD item below.

PS the FAR on this one is amazing. Max 20 allowed, and they're at 19.18!

http://civicsd.com/wp-content/upload...E-Drawings.pdf

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 5:33 AM
Category Five

I like the height but it looks similar to all the other glass boxes we have

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 6:05 PM
Registered San Diegan

Renders of 6th & A, 43-stories, 389' tall. Max FAR on site is 12.0, they are proposing 14.32 with bonuses.

http://civicsd.com/wp-content/upload...A-Drawings.pdf

Last edited by SDfan; Sep 19, 2017 at 6:21 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations