HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 4:02 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
For the direct connection from the Hub to the U, they should extend Trax down 4th South to 6th West and connect it to the current End of Line.

Then they can have the current Red Line continue it's current path, Green Line to the Airport, Blue Line running a through downtown to the Hub and then up to the U, following the same path back.

This would increase frequency along 4th South east of Main, provide a direct connection to the U from the Hub and would also provide the ability to have a Trax Loop within the Downtown area.

All this for approximately $32 Million using 2007 values. This means it could probably be cheaper now than before due to lower costs.

The extension on 4th S to the Hub has been on the list since the University Line was done and the Hub opened in 2006. Unfortunately, I don't know of the current status of the extension.
I think part of the issue regarding the 4th S extention to the hub is density. There aren't many neighborhoods or major businesses along 4th S between Main and 6th W. There is nothing over 3 stories once you get past the new court house. I think when the area around Central Station begins to redevelop with some density, particularly areas south of 200 S that the 4th S extension could be considered again.

Honestly I don't see that the daily usage on that line would justify the expense. Don't get me wrong I would love to see that extenstion, but I think it will be a few years. I wouldn't be surprised however if it was the next one completed.

When we (edited from "if we") get a MLB team and if the stadium is built in the Grainary District I would actually prefer the following Transit allignment.

At 700 S the Trax main line splits, with a new one heading west, to 600 W and north to Central Station, past the new stadium somewhere along the line, creating a downtown loop. A street car from Central Station to 400 S, to Main St, that either goes up Main St and connects with the 200 S downtown Streetcar or continues to 200 E and then north to the downtown Streetcar, creating an CBD streetcar loop.

I realize this doesn't address the direct Central Station to the U line, but it provide more options.

When we get our MLB team, if they choose to expand Spring Mobile in it's current location than I would like to see Trax from the Hub, to 400 S and connect to the U line. Call it the White Line. With a streetcar going through the Grainary District and connecting on 700 S to the main Trax line.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 9:12 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Sugarhouse Streetcar

The track between 800 E and 900 E is layed about 3/4 the way through the block. I took this looking east from 800 East

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 11:27 PM
The Drifter

If only they would put those power lines underground at the same time.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 1:28 AM
PSU MURP student

What's going on in the photo? Is the track making an S-bend there? It looks like it's hovering. Also, I've been a bit out of touch lately... did they decide on one track or two?

P.S. I will be returning to the United States on Tuesday. I can't wait to see how things are going in Salt Lake!!!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
What's going on in the photo? Is the track making an S-bend there? It looks like it's hovering. Also, I've been a bit out of touch lately... did they decide on one track or two?

P.S. I will be returning to the United States on Tuesday. I can't wait to see how things are going in Salt Lake!!!
Welcome home! I've arranged a big parade in your honor Tuesday in Salt Lake City. Some floats, marching bands, horse...things. It may happen before you actually arrive here, but whatever. It's all for you.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 3:07 PM

Wait, i thought that parade was in honor of Karl Malone's birthday!?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2012, 9:31 PM
West bench livin'

And here I thought it was the week-long celebration of my birth culminating in my bday party a week from Tuesday? I guess I can return the party favors...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 5:39 AM

The canopies (with solar panels on top) have been installed at the 1950 West Airport TRAX Station.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 7:50 PM

Those look great IMO!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 4:05 AM

This is unfortunate. According the Brookings Institute, almost 65 percent of the Wasatch Front have a mass transit connection to jobs, but only 2.9 percent are using it.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home3/5...t-uta.html.csp

I think switching to a distance-based fare, and decreasing the excessive parking lots downtown would help bring that figure up considerably.
I wonder what percentage of students use public transit. I'm guessing it's much higher.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
I wonder what percentage of students use public transit. I'm guessing it's much higher.
The article states that thirty percent of U students utilize transit.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2012, 12:44 AM
PSU MURP student

State Decision Making in the Context of Federal Transportation Funding
Yonah Freemark July 26th 2012
The Transport Politic

"On the other hand, Utah is only expected to receive about $62 million in transit in FY 2013, compared to $312 million in highway funding. But its large transit capital program, involving the construction of new light rail and commuter rail lines in and around Salt Lake City, means that it will actually distribute a far larger share of its received federal funds on public transportation."

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...ation-funding/

Old Posted Jul 27, 2012, 12:28 PM

...that's an interesting way to look at it. So is our big red bar there (the new road/bridge capacity)...is that mostly the CORE project on I-15 in Utah County + the Mountain View Corridor? Those are the only things I can think of that are top dollar projects right now that are really expanding capacity. But I never know what's going on if people don't complain about it on here.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2012, 10:32 PM
The Drifter

Have they begun working on a new segment of the Mountain View Corridor yet?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2012, 6:06 PM
The Drifter

Never mind on that last comment. I ended up Googling Mountain View Corridor and finding the information I was looking for. Didn't realize the section in Herriman was just a small section of it that was currently being constructed. That by the end of the year they plan on having it run from Redwood Rd in the south all the way to 5400 South to the north.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 1:34 PM

The December 2012 route proposals have been released. These route changes coincide with the opening of FrontRunner South, and also modify routing in preparation for the opening of the Green Line extension to the airport. Note that there are several new routes in Utah County, which I find good. Routing along the west side of Salt Lake City (Rose Park area) is also to change pretty dramatically.

But the real question is—will night service suffer further?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountyLemonade View Post
The December 2012 route proposals have been released. These route changes coincide with the opening of FrontRunner South, and also modify routing in preparation for the opening of the Green Line extension to the airport. Note that there are several new routes in Utah County, which I find good. Routing along the west side of Salt Lake City (Rose Park area) is also to change pretty dramatically.

But the real question is—will night service suffer further?
Why are they changing the routes along North Temple for the Airport TRAX line months before that line will open. Does this mean that they may be considering an earlier opening for the airport line? The new alignments will leave a lot of people in Rose Park/Fairpark in a lurch if the new alignments and the TRAX line opening do not coincide.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
Why are they changing the routes along North Temple for the Airport TRAX line months before that line will open. Does this mean that they may be considering an earlier opening for the airport line? The new alignments will leave a lot of people in Rose Park/Fairpark in a lurch if the new alignments and the TRAX line opening do not coincide.
The 550 (Airport–Central Station) will be modified to, in the words of the UTA, "replicate the service that the Airport TRAX line will be providing in the future. The stops for this route will coincide with the stations along North Temple." So, the 550 will essentially be a limited-stop route between December 2012 and April 2013. Wonder if that means it'll run every fifteen minutes. In any case, that's how the UTA expects passengers to connect from these truncated bus routes to downtown.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 3:50 PM

I saw Frontrunner test trains running near the 10600 stop yesterday. I know they have been testing in Utah County for a while but this was the first time i saw one in Salt Lake County

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 6:05 AM

I am thoroughly excited for April 2013.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West