HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 7:48 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
What is a 'TPS' report?
it's just a made up name for a menial job - I was referencing the movie Office Space (Waterloowarrior posted a clip from it)

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 9:19 PM

Quote:
What is a 'TPS' report? That design of the business park near Scotiabank Place looks like some sort of alien spacecraft.
Rent/download/steal Office Space immediately.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 10:54 PM
Awesome!

Orville Station in Stittsville update

Quote:
Confused council committee rejects appeal of Stittsville development plan

By Patrick Dare , The Ottawa CitizenSeptember 8, 2009 5:02 PMComments (2)

OTTAWA — Capital Councillor Clive Doucet voted one way, then another, on the same issue Tuesday at a meeting of council’s planning and environment committee.

It was an unusual procedural misstep for Doucet, who initially voted to proceed with an appeal of a proposed Stittsville development, Orville Station, to the Ontario Municipal Board. That appeal is on the grounds that the property involved should be rezoned, rather than having 15 minor variances allowed — as was permitted by the committee of adjustment, which oversees minor planning issues for specific sites. The appeal will cost the city $25,000.

The vote was 5-3 on the planning committee, with councillors Diane Holmes, Gord Hunter and Peggy Feltmate opposed to sending the matter to the board.

People started to walk out of the council chamber and then Doucet said: “I got my vote wrong on that.” Doucet said he had not wanted to send the issue to the municipal board. If he switched his vote, the tie would mean the motion failed.

Councillor Peter Hume, chairman of the committee, said Doucet would be able to change his vote if the rules of procedure were waived. While Councillor Shad Qadri, who represents Stittsville, voted against the waiving of the rules, the rest of the committee voted to allow it and Doucet was able to change his vote.

The change meant the vote was 4-4, which means the motion failed. The matter will now go to full city council for a decision without any committee recommendation.
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 12:37 AM
National Capital Region

Land sale approved for Barrhaven rec centre
Harder thanks Monarch for keeping price in check
September 08, 2009
BY JENNIFER MCINTOSH
http://www.yournepean.com/article/15757

Another piece of the puzzle fell into place for the long-awaited recreation centre in Barrhaven.

The City of Ottawa’s community and protective services committee approved the purchase of the land situated on the western side of Greenbank Road near the intersection with Cambrian Road on Sept. 3.

Barrhaven Coun. Jan Harder and city staff have had their eye on the 9.45-hectare piece of land for a number of years now as they planned for the development of a new sports centre for Barrhaven.

The price tag of the land owned by the Monarch Corporation is just shy of $4.4 million, a price that the company has held for the last few years over several discussions with Harder.

“I would just like to thank Monarch for their integrity in keeping the price where it is,” she said. “As prices go up, I am sure they could have tacked on another $75,000.”

The recreation centre would be part of an integrated campus with a Catholic elementary school, a fire station and sports fields.

At the announcement of the concept on Aug. 28, Harder said it is likely the that construction of the facility wouldn’t be complete until at least 2013, around the same time the widening of Greenbank Road is set to be completed.

Now that the land sale has been approved by the committee, the next step is for it to go to council, then on to the design stage and cost analysis. The council decision was scheduled for Sept. 9, after Nepean-Barrhaven This Week went to press.

“I know many residents of Barrhaven are looking forward to this sports complex,” Gloucester-South Nepean Coun. Steve Desroches said. “It would serve many areas of South Ottawa as well.”

With the Walter Baker Centre about to celebrate its 30th birthday and 50,000 new residents expected in Barrhaven in the next decade, the recreation centre will be a welcome addition.

“This project is a stunning example of the community coming together,” Harder said.

jennifer.mcintosh@nepeanthisweek.com

A copy of the site plan for the proposed integrated campus at the intersection of Greenbank and Cambrian roads. Special to This Week

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 5:48 PM

Turkish Community Centre in Kanata

http://www.yourkanata.com/KanataKourier/article/15850

I'm not sure if there is a formal application on this or not yet....looks like they have Councillor and community association buy in.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 6:02 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
http://www.yourkanata.com/KanataKourier/article/15850

I'm not sure if there is a formal application on this or not yet....looks like they have Councillor and community association buy in.
These guys have been really active in preconsulting with the community... there may be some concern about the potential issue of the loss of industrial/employment land, but institutional uses are permitted in employment and enterprise areas in the OP. The site is right beside a school anyways, and previously got approvals for a school and day nursery

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
These guys have been really active in preconsulting with the community... there may be some concern about the potential issue of the loss of industrial/employment land, but institutional uses are permitted in employment and enterprise areas in the OP. The site is right beside a school anyways, and previously got approvals for a school and day nursery
I now know exactly where the site is...thanks....the KSBP is not the most vibrant BP in the City and it has been a hard sell in terms of development for years. A community centre like this may bring some evening and weekend life into the area.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2009, 8:59 PM
National Capital Region

This is the Crossroads of Barrhaven by Tega Homes

First shot is along Claridge Drive

Second shot is it looks like from the corner of Claridge Drive and Strandherd .. (stopped at the red light)

Old Posted Sep 13, 2009, 8:59 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Making the grade: new high school in Barrhaven

By MARIACOOK 03-01-2009 COMMENTS(1) DESIGNING OTTAWA

Filed under: Longfields Davidson Heights school
The Ottawa-Carleton District School Board opens its first new high school in 10 years in September. Located at the corner of Longfields Drive and Berrigan Drive in Barrhaven, it looks like it will be a fine building and an excellent school.

Trades and technology, music and drama, computers and science, and, more unexpectedly, culinary arts will all have special facilities.

In making the case to the Legislature for the school, MPP Lisa MacLeod pointed out that the area has the highest birthrate in Canada, is the fastest growing community in Ottawa and is home to many new Canadians.

Classrooms for teaching 1400 students, grades 7 to 12, are complemented by four gyms and a 500-seat auditorium, a feature important to its role as a community centre. The construction cost of the three-storey, 186,000-square-foot building is about $33 million.

Schools have not typically included auditoriums for years, making do with portable stages and bleachers in the gym.

A sign of the times is the concern for security, which happily supports the open day-lit atrium and interior "street" around which the building is organized. Social visibility also helps to reduce antisocial threats.

The design by Edward J. Cuhaci and Associates of Ottawa is a handsome welcoming building, generous with glass and colour.

Provisionally called Longfields Davidson Heights school, it is expected to get a new name soon.

Building new schools is as much to do with where people live as population growth. For example, while this school was being planned, Laurentian High School on Baseline Road closed.

New neighbourhoods need new schools. Old neighbourhoods need families. What to do? Start with better transit and a more equitable property tax structure.

Got a great project to share? Please send info and jpegs to mariacookottawa@gmail.com

http://www.ocdsb.edu.on.ca/cc_NewSchools_Additions.asp
scroll to the bottom for floorplans

Here's the finished product

Old Posted Sep 16, 2009, 11:36 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Shenkman rezoning Orleans industrial land to kick-start 'prestige' uses
By Peter Kovessy, Ottawa Business Journal Staff

Wed, Sep 16, 2009 12:00 AM EST

Formerly touted as possible DND HQ site, property could accommodate three million square feet of office space

The owner of approximately 173 acres of undeveloped land in the Orleans Industrial Park is hoping a pending rezoning, combined with the increased commercial activity in the area, will help finally turn the area into a major employment node.

The land in the Innes and Mer Bleue roads area has been owned by Shenkman Group and its subsidiaries for the last eight years. Currently zoned for light industrial uses and a maximum building heights of between 11 and 14 metres, a rezoning application going before council later this month would allow greater flexibility to build large offices of up to 21 metres, or approximately five to seven storeys.

"Up until recently, the lands ... were not very well situated from a transportation perspective," says Shenkman president Kevin McCrann.

"But with the (Innes Road expansion) and the recent intensification of the area, in terms of residential and lots more commercial (and) retail, those lands have more or less come of age."

Immediately north of Shenkman's lands are the Innes Shopping Centre, anchored by a Wal-Mart and Canadian Tire, and the RioCan/Trinity commercial development under construction that will feature an Empire Theatres, Lowe's and fitness club.

Mr. McCrann says these shopping centres will heighten the exposure of the adjacent vacant land and offer amenities to prospective office workers.

The Orleans Industrial Park, which includes the Shenkman lands, was designated for industrial uses by the former city of Gloucester more than 25 years ago, according to a city staff report.

However, industrial users have shown little interest in using the park for warehouse, assembly or manufacturing operations. To date, there is not a single industrial user in the park, the report says.

In 2001, Shenkman Corp. unveiled plans for an office complex of up to three million square feet. The six-phase development, dubbed Eden Park, was to take a decade to build.

A few years later, in 2005, the developer revealed concept plans for a one-million-square-foot office complex that it hoped would become the new home of the Department of National Defence.

Mr. McCrann says his company is holding the land for larger institutional users and is not looking to divide it into smaller parcels. Optimally, he says, the site would be turned into a business campus with about three million square feet of "prestige" office space.

Mr. McCrann adds it would represent a great opportunity for the federal government, given the large number of public servants living in the area.

"I don't think we are well represented in terms of office space in the east end," he says.

It is a sentiment also felt by the Orleans business community, which has been clamouring for additional office space for years.

Peter Stewart, the executive director of the Orleans Chamber of Commerce, says growing small businesses in the area don't have many office options, which prevents the community from establishing a solid employment base.

"You either build your own facility or you have to go back towards St. Laurent Boulevard. We need somewhere for these people to grow and go from a couple thousand square feet to five or 10,000 square feet."

---

COMMERCIAL MARKET Q2 SNAPSHOT

East-end office:

Vacancy rate: 2.8%

Total inventory: 3.31 million square feet

Average net rent: $14.78 per square foot

Source: Colliers International

East-end industrial:

Availability rate: 4.6%

Total inventory: 13.57 million square feet

Asking net rent: $7.68 per square foot

Source: CB Richard Ellis

Orleans retail:

Vacancy rate: 4.3%

Total inventory: 819,980 square feet

Average net rent: $20.22 per square foot

Source: Cushman & Wakefield LePage

http://www.ottawabusinessjournal.com...3349685517.php

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 8:58 PM
Awesome!

Any idea what it is building in/near the Bridlewood area since I've seen a crane on CBC at 5 last night?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 2:20 PM

Does anyone know what they're building at the corner of Montreal Road and Shefford Road, right next to the 174?

A crane went up there a couple of weeks ago but I haven't seen any sign indicating what's going up. Just a Pomerleau construction sign.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakche View Post
Does anyone know what they're building at the corner of Montreal Road and Shefford Road, right next to the 174?

A crane went up there a couple of weeks ago but I haven't seen any sign indicating what's going up. Just a Pomerleau construction sign.
There was a request for proposal sign from the city and it was saying that a retirement home was planned for that location.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1992 View Post
There was a request for proposal sign from the city and it was saying that a retirement home was planned for that location.
The sign was probably a notice of a proposal being contemplated...a standard City sign. I seem to recall it was going to be a privately built retirement home in the land north of Montreal west of 174 and east of Shefford.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 11:20 PM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakche View Post

About thirty years ago I remember that there was a rumour that there was radioactive waste buried at that corner. As a kid I even recall a young reporter from the Citizen coming to check it out.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
Any idea what it is building in/near the Bridlewood area since I've seen a crane on CBC at 5 last night?
where in Bridlewood do you mean...at 70 Stonehaven there is a crane for an addition to a retirement home..is that where you mean

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 10:47 PM
Awesome!

Not sure because 70 Stonehaven gave me this; a wooded area

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...259.08,,1,7.22

Speaking of retirement homes, here are a couple of images from recently build retirement homes

Eagleson Road (yeah I know it's completely out of place)

http://maps.google.ca/maps/mm?client...12,301.48,,0,5

And this too on Campeau Drive (I believe it's another one)

http://maps.google.ca/maps/mm?client...00.74,,1,-3.48

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Not sure because 70 Stonehaven gave me this; a wooded area

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...259.08,,1,7.22

Speaking of retirement homes, here are a couple of images from recently build retirement homes

Eagleson Road (yeah I know it's completely out of place)

http://maps.google.ca/maps/mm?client...12,301.48,,0,5

And this too on Campeau Drive (I believe it's another one)

http://maps.google.ca/maps/mm?client...00.74,,1,-3.48
70 Stonehaven is actually to the west of that location...north side of Stonehaven and to the east of a plaza.

That retirement home on Eagleson is like a building located on the edge of the steppe.

The one on Campeau has been u/c for ages...since at least March of 2008.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 11:23 PM
Awesome!

This I guess

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...,0.017982&z=15

I had the impression they were building something much taller

Also might be another one of those recent multi-story retirement homes. This was under construction in June 2008 based on the bing.com Map

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...,0.071926&z=13

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
This I guess

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...,0.017982&z=15

I had the impression they were building something much taller
The actual expansion at the retirement home is 4 storeys and is located in the NW corner of the site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs