HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 8:39 PM

900 Albert St | 234/203/105m | 65/56/23fl | Approved

EDIT: 2018 updated renders

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Latest renders and height increase for Trinity Centre at Bayview Station (900 Albert) in Ottawa. Preliminary sewer relocation underway and zoning going to Council next month.

232.5m / 65 fl (was 230.9m/65fl)
204.4m / 56 fl (was 192.7m/52fl)
130.7m / 27 fl (was 130.1m/32 fl)

Architect is GGLO from Seattle
http://www.gglo.com/

Thread
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...164924&page=23

Latest drawings June 2018
http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...une%202018.PDF

Formerly known as 801 Albert | 140.4m & 130.9m | 33 fl & 30 fl | Approved
and 900 Albert

Quote:
Phoenix proposes two 31-storey residential towers
By Peter Kovessy, Ottawa Business Journal Staff
Tue, Feb 10, 2009 4:00 PM EST

An Ottawa developer has reactivated its plans for a residential development just east of the Bayview Transitway station, but has returned with a significantly taller proposal.

DCR Phoenix has submitted a site plan application to build a pair of 31-storey, 338-feet high-rise apartment buildings and a four-storey office building on a 5.35-acre site at 801 Albert St. (map), formerly known as 801 Wellington St., according to city documents.

The proposed development would create 466 dwelling units and 478 surface and underground parking spaces. The property would have to be rezoned to accommodate the increased density.

A rezoning application was initially submitted in 2003 to allow for a residential development consisting of townhouses, stacked townhouses and an apartment.

The development was to be incorporated into a light rail station as part of Ottawa's since-cancelled north-south rapid transit line, an individual familiar with the file said on background.

"It all came to a halt with the death of the north-south light rail and then it got put on hold for two or three years as water mains were being built through the site," he said.

In September 2007, the developer requested its application be reactivated and proposed two 19-storey towers.

The developer's most recent application has not yet been deemed complete by city planners, but is being circulated for early public review.

DCR Phoenix's manager of planning could not be immediately reached for comment.

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Jun 23, 2018 at 4:14 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 9:05 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

"Surface and underground parking" already reeks of a tower-in-the-park type of garbage. I'll wait to see renderings, but it would make me smile more if I had also seen the words "retail podium" and "Integrated with a transfer station".

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 10:00 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 12:44 AM

It'd be awesome to ANYTHING built west of Lebreton near Bayview/Scott Streets...would add some much needed rejuvination to the northern section of the city...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 2:26 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
I quite liked that proposal.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 2:14 PM

I live on Preston,these towers rise up quite close to my house.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 2:52 PM
Mooderator

The views would be phenomenal....

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 4:40 PM

what are the chances of this thing actually getting built at 31 stories? did they make it taller so they have room to negotiate with the city on height?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 6:56 PM

^that's what I'm thinking.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 7:00 PM

Well, the elevation at Bayview is substantially lower than that of the CBD. I don't think it would obstruct any views of Parliament....

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 7:12 PM
Highrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
what are the chances of this thing actually getting built at 31 stories? did they make it taller so they have room to negotiate with the city on height?
Happens all the time...it is rare that the public or councillors ask the developer to increase the height/density. City Planners do, but I've never known the public or the elected officials.

Its called the art of the negotiation.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 4:10 AM
National Capital Region

application page (site plan)

To construct 2- 31 storey apartment buildings. + 2 storeys of mechanical equipment and 3-4 storeys of office building.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 5:02 AM
you know my steez

bahaha.

This thing is an absolute abomination of urbanism...some of which is the City's fault and some the developer's.

First of all...why on earth are the property lines set so frigging far back from Scott (Albert?)? This development is steps from the CBD yet the setbacks are similar to new single family home subdivisions in Avalon. And what abuts the property line? A surface lot? At the intersection of what could be an N-S-E-W transit transfer location? Give me a break.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 12:29 PM

I guess you would have too see the site,the property lines are set far back because of steep terrain.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 1:00 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy View Post
I guess you would have too see the site,the property lines are set far back because of steep terrain.
Usually they would just zone it Hazard or something similar to prevent development on that part of the land (at least where I work). Obviously the road ROW is particularly wide along Scott Street/Wellington in that area. I'd be curious to find out why.

It seems a little bit premature to begin developing Bayview. There should really be a more comprehensive plan for the area before development should proceed.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 2:31 PM
Mooderator

You can see the hatch marks along Scott street on the left hand side, but that's the only place where steep terrain is shown.

the drawing makes me think of Place Champlain in Hull with its parking lot along Taché.. it has a similar type of drop-off from the street.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez View Post
First of all...why on earth are the property lines set so frigging far back from Scott (Albert?)? This development is steps from the CBD yet the setbacks are similar to new single family home subdivisions in Avalon. And what abuts the property line? A surface lot? At the intersection of what could be an N-S-E-W transit transfer location? Give me a break.
You can see from the site plan that this site is criss-crossed with sewer easements. If the buildings were brought any closer to Scott/Albert, they would be encroaching on the easement.

I don't think there's any other alternative in this case.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 5:01 PM
National Capital Region

The residential buildings have about 50% more resident parking spaces than required (although based on the numbers it is probably all underground and visitors is above ground)

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 8:07 PM

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw this plan was the grouping of all the Alta Vista apartments and condos (in the vicinity of the Canada Post depot). I agree, this is a joke.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 12:03 PM
you know my steez

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
You can see from the site plan that this site is criss-crossed with sewer easements. If the buildings were brought any closer to Scott/Albert, they would be encroaching on the easement.

I don't think there's any other alternative in this case.
I guess that shows how much I know about reading site plans.

Would these sewers predate the current Scott St. alignment? I wonder if there are plans to move them...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa