HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 3:16 PM
Busy Beaver

Top 5 Shawarma in Ottawa

OK, this being Ottawa, you simply can't say "where's the best shawarma". So if I were to take visitors on the quintessential 'city-wide shawarma tour', what should my route and destinations be? I figure on bikes, and half a sandwich per person in each location, it could make a fun 'full-filling' half day activity in the summer.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 4:45 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Civic Shawarma in the Glebe, Shawarma King in Centretown (Across from James Street Feed Company or whatever it's called), Marroush in the Market.

Those are three that I think could make up a nice little afternoon tour of central Ottawa.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 5:43 PM
Busy Beaver

Is there one in Hull that's good? The tour does not have to stick to the Ontario side exclusively, in fact it's good that it crosses the river and has a bit of distance to burn calories.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 6:13 PM
Highrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Is there one in Hull that's good? The tour does not have to stick to the Ontario side exclusively, in fact it's good that it crosses the river and has a bit of distance to burn calories.
Some people swear by 'Arz' at St. Laurent shopping centre. I remember a good shawarma at the place on the east side of Bank, just north of Staples....I had to wait for printing to be done at Staples and had their lunch platter with garlic potatoes...it was short on potatoes and heavy heavy on the garlic.

Love shawarma but do not like the pickled turnips or whatever they are.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 8:00 PM

Not sure if they would be the best, but the most popular would be shawarma city on rideau, it's always packed. When I went to Marroush on elgin a couple years ago, they have their own theme song and it was very catchy. Andalos inside rideau is good as well. Mangoes has the best fruit cocktails and smoothies in the city to go along with your shawarmas, with locations on st. laurant and the other on bank/alta vista.
Throw in shawarma city to round out the list.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 8:11 PM
you know my steez

My faves:

-Shawarma Deluxe (on Dalhousie): Excellent garlic sauce and a wide selection of toppings. Added bonus in that the owner looks like the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld.
-Really Lebanese (on St. Joseph in Orleans): Pricey, but delicious.
-Shawarma Palace (on Rideau): In my opinion, the most "legit" shawarma in Ottawa. Whereas many places in the market cater to office workers and drunken revellers, the majority of the clientele here are from the middle east.
-Andalos (on Rideau): Unbeatable value.

As for Marroush, I'm turned off every time I watch them microwave my chicken...it should be fresh off the rotisserie!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 8:13 PM
I'm just joking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I figure on bikes, and half a sandwich per person in each location, it could make a fun 'full-filling' half day activity in the summer.

Try not to spend an extended period of time in the same room after eating all that Shawarma....

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 8:19 PM
Highrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathgrith View Post
Try not to spend an extended period of time in the same room after eating all that Shawarma....
Good point....shawarma is usually best eaten by both consenting parties of a relationship. My worst experience that way was curried eggplant which was still giving off odours 72 hours after I ate it according to my wife. She was not amused.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 8:24 PM
Busy Beaver

I'll make sure I stay in front of the peloton, too

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 8:32 PM

I've always wondered why there are so many shawarma joints in the city. Still have no idea...

Old Posted Feb 20, 2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor2Ott View Post
I've always wondered why there are so many shawarma joints in the city. Still have no idea...
Ottawa has a very large Lebanese community, the second-largest in Canada behind Montreal.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 12:02 AM

Ah I see. I am assuming because many Lebanese know French?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 2:54 AM

I have literally only been to Garlic Corner (aka Joey's Corner, or something like that), in that Union building on the corner of Dalhousie and York, since I moved to Ottawa in the summer, and it's fantastic.

The owner (I assume) is always there late at night and is extremely friendly, handing me coupons, asking how I'm doing, etc. He recognizes me as being from the neighborhood even if I've only ventured the block from my condo a half-dozen times or so.

The food is fantastic, although, I haven't had any other Shawarma in the city.

They are open long hours, until 3 am, and deliver for free on orders over $8, which is just a regular combo, maybe an extra soda or something, and are quite fast.

The garlic potatoes are amazing.

Mmmmmmmmmmm. I'm in St. Pete, FL right now, but I'm going to get a shawarma very soon upon landing back in O-Town after this thread really got me craving one, lol.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 3:08 AM

You can go to whichever shawarma resaurants you want, but the tour has to end with Maroush on Elgin street. The tour should end around 1-2am to experience the pure ridiculousness of this restaurant. Here's one of many YouTube videos featuring their nightly shinanigans.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 3:39 AM

Also rumour is at Marroush, if you're a female and you flash some skin, you don't have to pay.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 5:59 AM

Marroush is definitely where to go downtown. There are other good places, but I find they aren't as consistent as Marroush. Elgin's lost quite a number of the so-so places in the last months.

A probably unknown diamond in the rough tho is Darvish Butchery at 4055 Carling Avenue (between March Road and Hertzberg) out in the Kanata high-tech area. Whenever business takes me out to that end of the city I make it an absolute must to eat lunch there. I can't speak for evenings and weekends, but their business day lunch hour is usually full and for good reason.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2009, 3:39 PM
20 Stories Tall

I've heard a commercial for the Garlic King out in Orleans. Never tried it though. Anyone?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 2:05 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdensitysprawl View Post
Some people swear by 'Arz' at St. Laurent shopping centre. I remember a good shawarma at the place on the east side of Bank, just north of Staples....I had to wait for printing to be done at Staples and had their lunch platter with garlic potatoes...it was short on potatoes and heavy heavy on the garlic.

Love shawarma but do not like the pickled turnips or whatever they are.
You ate at Shawarma King then. They make pretty good Shawarma.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2009, 2:06 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indescribable View Post
I've heard a commercial for the Garlic King out in Orleans. Never tried it though. Anyone?
There's also a Garlic King in Old Ottawa South I think. I've seen the "Garlic King" riding around in his kingly garments and car. It's awesome.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 7:28 PM

Are we at 5 yet?

La Shish on Clyde near Baseline, in the same building as CD Warehouse (across form Dennys).

If you get a chance, try the pies too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation