HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 8:02 PM

Mayfair Theatre Orleans

The Mayfair theatre is opening a second location with 3 screens in Orleans on December 2nd

http://www.yourottawaregion.com/news...ion-in-orleans

http://mayfairtheatre.ca/mayfair-new...orleans-dec-2/

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 3:05 AM

I think the central part of Orleans has so much potential to become a massive office/commercial node. I would like to see a full/partial redevelopment of Place d'Orleans, perhaps with a shared ownership with Orleans Centre, and new stores/offices fronting St. Joseph.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 3:23 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

This is great news for Orleans! I can't believe there is going to be a cinema in Orleans with a (partial) repertory program!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 7:31 PM

Even though I live in the East, I will not get to excited about this. These are the same guys that held fundraising events for FOl, at their original location, and helped cause the delay in getting Lansdowne rebuilt.(And wasting taxpayers money to conduct a defense} Not likely to get much support from me.

Last edited by LeadingEdgeBoomer; Nov 17, 2011 at 7:52 PM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 7:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadingEdgeBoomer View Post
Even though I live in the East, I will not get to excited about this. These are the same guys that held fundraising events for FOl, at their original location, and helped cause the delay in getting Lansdowne rebuilt.(And wasting taxpayers money to conduct a defense} Not likely to get much support from me.
I know, but you can't really blame them - I know I wouldn't want a multi-plex cinema going in just across the bridge from me if I owned a small theatre...

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 9:28 PM

Quote:
I know, but you can't really blame them - I know I wouldn't want a multi-plex cinema going in just across the bridge from me if I owned a small theatre...
!--all business is a risk--they can not really be sure a bigger theater will not move in across the street in Orlenas a few years from now.

2--we all have our special interests and they often conflict---my desire is seeing LP redeveloped ASAP and it conflicts with the Mayfairs desire--so I did not like them supporting FOl, delaying things and forcing the city to spend tax dollars on legal fees. Therefore I will exercise the right not to support them. I have plenty of other options for my entertainment dollars, including lots of movie options.

3--The owners can not be too badly off if they have the wherewithall to swing a deal for a 3-screen complex---Yet they expressed distress over their one screen theater and helped delay LP and spend tax dollars on legal fees

4--they probably had this deal in the works while they were crying crocodile tears and helping delay LP. They will probably make more money with three screens than one. In fact they may end up with both theaters as it is not certain that the old one will fold as the empire theater and the mayfair cater to different niches of the movie market. All in all I have little sympathy for them.

Ps-I think the Glebe ad OOS BIAs have been wrong all along . The new Lansdowne will bring more people and business to everyone in the area. The Glebe even got a bonus as the City accelerated the reconstruction of bank st to get it done before Lansdowne . The BIAs in the other sections of Bank St had to put up with disruption for a lot longer than the Glebe did. The other sections of Bank st did not get such fancy street scaping (e.g. - interlock instead of concrete side walks). The Glebe BIA can thank the LP redevelopemnt deal for the city's desire to make the whole area a place people from afar will want to go to.

Last edited by LeadingEdgeBoomer; Nov 17, 2011 at 9:46 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 1:21 AM

LEB just doesn't like alt cinema. You're spitting in the wind.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 3:08 AM

Quote:
LEB just doesn't like alt cinema. You're spitting in the wind
I do.I will get my fill at the ByTowne. Although next week I will go and see Sarah's Key at the Rainbow

.As I wrote --there are other options---and I will take them rather than patronize FOL, who are still fighting the city in court over LP----the appeal hearing starts on Nov 28.

Last edited by LeadingEdgeBoomer; Nov 18, 2011 at 4:41 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 3:51 PM

If we boycotted every business or organization that did something once in the past that we kind of disagreed with, we'd never shop anywhere.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 4:05 PM

Quote:
If we boycotted every business or organization that did something once in the past that we kind of disagreed with, we'd never shop anywhere.
1) Some truth to this. However, we can pick and choose which business we will boycott and for how long. It depends on how strongly we feel on a given issue.

2) The Mayfair situation is not in the past, but the present. The funds raised at the Mayfair fundraisers is fueling the court case this year, and the appeal which is still ongoing. The delay in getting LP done is happening now because of this appeal. I choose to boycott a business that supported this appeal and that may help collect future funds for a further appeal. based on their actions this year.I do not wish to contribute to supporting FOL, directly or indirectly.

Last edited by LeadingEdgeBoomer; Nov 18, 2011 at 4:16 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 2:08 PM

An article on The Citizen web site says that Mayfair Orleans is in financial trouble. It may shut down as early as the end of this month.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 3:39 PM

Quote:
An article on The Citizen web site says that Mayfair Orleans is in financial trouble. It may shut down as early as the end of this month.
Perhaps the owner should refrain from punching patrons in the face.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 7:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Having lived in Orleans for quite a few years and having many friends and family there, I hate to say it but it does not do much to dispel the perception that people there aren't interested in anything other than mainstream Hollywood blockbusters.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
Perhaps the owner should refrain from punching patrons in the face.
Evidence or it's a libel lawsuit for you, good sir/ma'am.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 2:41 PM

As a resident of Orleans I'm happy to have an alternative theatre.

They have done a real nice job with this updated theatre and it would be a shame to see it go. The facility itself is really quite nice and has the potential to serve as an anchor to a growing Orleans Town Centre.

I think that this part of Orleans has so much potential, but it has for a long time and we are still waiting for it to really take-off.

Maybe the coming hotel and potenial office tower will be the catalyst it needs...

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 2:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

On Radio-Canada this morning there was a report about the cinema's imminent closure. They billed it as Orleans' francophone cinema, which it is isn't really (at least not exclusively - though it is about the only place in Orleans where you can see films in French).

They did man-on-the-street interviews in Orleans and the francophones they spoke to weren't even aware of the Mayfair's existence in the community.

I don't think things are boding well for this endeavour, unfortunately.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Having lived in Orleans for quite a few years and having many friends and family there, I hate to say it but it does not do much to dispel the perception that people there aren't interested in anything other than mainstream Hollywood blockbusters.
Perhaps people in the suburbs aren't interested in anything but the blockbusters, but the Mayfair DT often has lines down Rideau St for people waiting to get in! The indie film is far from dead.. some may even say it's having a renaissance!

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 3:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by teej1984 View Post
Perhaps people in the suburbs aren't interested in anything but the blockbusters, but the Mayfair DT often has lines down Rideau St for people waiting to get in! The indie film is far from dead.. some may even say it's having a renaissance!
I think you mean the Bytowne, which is on Rideau. The downtown Mayfair is on Bank.

And no I do not think that this type of cinema is dead. My comment was more about the artistic pursuits and interests of people in Orleans than about the viability of repertory cinema.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 6:50 PM

Having lived in the east end before there is room for this type of cinema, provided it is marketed right (the number of people that have never heard of this place is a bit alarming to me) and to the right type of people.

I think out in Orleans you need a much greater family focus - probably much less focus on artsy movie purist types. For instance the Rainbow at St. Laurent does a Moms and strollers day (or some name name to that effect). He definitely needs to ramp up the number of kids movies shown. Even his membership model is probably a fair bit different than people are used to.

The suburbs are definitely a very different market than downtown and you need to treat it as such.. Even in the retail world, you go out to for example grocery stores and you find them busy much earlier on say a Saturday morning, but not busy as late as the downtown ones are. The mall is full of families whereas a mall like Rideau tends to more full of young/university aged types, singles etc..

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 7:40 PM

Indie films??? When i check cinemaclock.com most of the movies playing at this theater are movies that just got taken down from the major other cinemas. Looks like a rainbow cinema. I dunno who would go there??

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation