HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
We'll find out soon just how much the Liberals believed in that throne speech. The NDP are bound to try to do something of theirs from it and it'll be interesting to see how the Liberals react.
They'll vote against everything the NDP brings forward. It doesn't matter if it was in the Liberal throne speech or not.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 12:17 AM

Perhaps obliquely related, but related nevertheless, I think: Someone said that the NDP would NIX the Broadway subway extension, even to Arbutus. Any ideas or info on this?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Perhaps obliquely related, but related nevertheless, I think: Someone said that the NDP would NIX the Broadway subway extension, even to Arbutus. Any ideas or info on this?
God I hope not. That'd be horrible

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 1:12 AM

Quote:
I have seen nothing to support that claim whatsoever - "B.C. NDP have also committed to funding 40 per cent of the mayors' transit plan, which on top of the two transit projects includes a new Pattullo Bridge, if they win the election."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...-lrt-1.4049350

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 1:20 AM

Yeah, not sure where you heard that one.

I really hope they have balls with Surrey though and don't just rubber stamp that currently terrible LRT plan. ( if Surrey seriously wants to be seen as a second downtown you would think that they would want at least the most urban portion to be a Subway ).

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 1:23 AM

Quote:
I've never heard anything like that, esp as the NDP are pro-transit.

BC NDP transit funding plan pleases Metro Vancouver mayors, riles CTF - Apr 13, 2017

Quote:
Metro Vancouver mayors say they remain concerned about the BC NDP and BC Liberal’s commitments to either scrap or cap bridge tolls, but are much happier with the NDP’s transit funding commitments.

The mayors have struggled for years to see eye to eye with the BC Liberal government on how to pay for a transit expansion, including major rapid transit projects such as light rail for Surrey and a subway along part of the Broadway Corridor for Vancouver.

“Today’s announcement suggests the BC NDP is prepared to make the investments and work in partnership with the Mayors’ Council to move forward with the full, comprehensive region-wide transportation strategy that’s needed to reduce congestion on our roads and overcrowding on our transit system,” said Jonathan Cote, mayor of New Westminster, in a statement.

Both the BC Liberals and BC NDP have committed to match federal funding, committing to pay for 40 per cent of the total capital costs of the mayors’ 10-year transportation plan, which was estimated to cost $7.5 billion when it was first proposed in 2014.

Where the parties differ is in the specifics: the mayors say the Liberals haven’t committed to several asks, including more funding for HandDART service for people with disabilities and a bus service expansion. Also missing from the Liberal platform is a funding committment to replace New Westminster’s aging Patullo Bridge.

The NDP, which last held power in 2001, are promising to fund all of those items. That includes $2.2 billion for rapid transit improvements and to begin construction on the Surrey and Vancouver rail projects, $360 million to go towards new rail cars for existing Skytrain lines, and a third of the $100 million cost of replacing the Patullo Bridge.

Jordan Bateman, spokesman for the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, isn’t happy with the NDP’s plan however. While the Liberals have remained committed to holding a referendum before municipal government can introduce any new form of tax or fee to raise money for transportation, the NDP say they would scrap that requirement.

“NDP make it official: they don't care if mayors invent new TransLink taxes,” Bateman tweeted. “Huge tax grab coming!”
I had to leave Jordan Bateman's quote in there.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 3:39 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
The only place I've heard that previously is from you. The NDP has stated that they support the Mayor's plan in its entirety, for better or for worse. I'll be e-mailing them about Surrey's LRT to try and fix the "for worse" part.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 4:47 PM

Quote:
The last time you said this you were roundly shot down, why would you think that somehow it might be true this time around?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
The last time you said this you were roundly shot down, why would you think that somehow it might be true this time around?
This trollish behaviour surprises you?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 10:25 PM

Arrow Please, it was an honest mistake

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
God I hope not. That'd be horrible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcair View Post
I have seen nothing to support that claim whatsoever - "B.C. NDP have also committed to funding 40 per cent of the mayors' transit plan, which on top of the two transit projects includes a new Pattullo Bridge, if they win the election."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...-lrt-1.4049350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Yeah, not sure where you heard that one.

I really hope they have balls with Surrey though and don't just rubber stamp that currently terrible LRT plan. ( if Surrey seriously wants to be seen as a second downtown you would think that they would want at least the most urban portion to be a Subway ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
The only place I've heard that previously is from you. The NDP has stated that they support the Mayor's plan in its entirety, for better or for worse. I'll be e-mailing them about Surrey's LRT to try and fix the "for worse" part.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
This trollish behaviour surprises you?

OUF!!!
I really goofed up on this one. Please excuse me, but I seriously recall reading it somewhere ... at least I'm pretty sure I did. But I was obviously - and thankfully - wrong.
However, I am not a troll, so please don't pin insulting labels on me. Thank you.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 10:46 PM

Interestingly, almost immediately after Horgan (guy with strong ties to big labour) hires Meggs (guy with strong ties to big labour), the Greens come out and announce that none of them will support the NDP's campaign platform item that would eliminate the secret ballot for union certification.

So, while the Greens were signalling that position earlier, this statement in no uncertain terms kills that policy piece.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveston View Post
Interestingly, almost immediately after Horgan (guy with strong ties to big labour) hires Meggs (guy with strong ties to big labour), the Greens come out and announce that none of them will support the NDP's campaign platform item that would eliminate the secret ballot for union certification.

So, while the Greens were signalling that position earlier, this statement in no uncertain terms kills that policy piece.
The greens did say that a couple weeks ago. I hope the NDP gets the message and doesn't try anything funny which could jeopardize the green-NDP agreement.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2017, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
The greens did say that a couple weeks ago. I hope the NDP gets the message and doesn't try anything funny which could jeopardize the green-NDP agreement.
Let's wait 10 days before we start assuming what the NDP is going to do.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 6:56 PM

As a Liberal supporter, I worry about the economy. However with that being said,

I almost wish we could have the NDP for just metro Vancouver and the Liberals for everywhere else. One part of the province will get screwed over either way.

Also, didnt the NDP also say they arent neccesarily in favour of Road Pricing while the Greens are?

Im still against road pricing, but curious how that’ll play out.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 10:10 PM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
I thought this new page was supposed to heighten the level of discourse from the last one.
It can be surprising how a little diplomacy can go a long way. So far so good!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 4:31 PM

Quote:
They'll vote against everything the NDP brings forward. It doesn't matter if it was in the Liberal throne speech or not.
The NDP and Greens already voted against their own policies in the throne speech, just to seize power for themselves. I don't see why we should hold the Liberals to a higher standard than that.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
The NDP and Greens already voted against their own policies in the throne speech, just to seize power for themselves. I don't see why we should hold the Liberals to a higher standard than that.
That was obviously a cheap Liberal trick. Easily seen through by just about everybody.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 6:14 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
That was obviously a cheap Liberal trick. Easily seen through by just about everybody.
Exactly. Clark flip-flopped on her party's core principles as a last ditch attempt to stay in power. Letting her stay in power after adopting popular NDP policies would be a betrayal to the majority of voters who wanted her out.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Exactly. Clark flip-flopped on her party's core principles as a last ditch attempt to stay in power. Letting her stay in power after adopting popular NDP policies would be a betrayal to the majority of voters who wanted her out.
Not to mention a betrayal of Liberal party voters, who didn't vote for the NDP platform. It was a cynical trick, they're betting voters don't remember.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
It's almost a shame the LG didn't dissolve the Legislature and trigger an election; perhaps CC and the BC Liberals would have been handed a large defeat for their flip-flopping tactics.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics