HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
Some of the siding is now visible at 545 Broadway. There's been workers there doing the interior all winter. The building must be getting close to finished now.

The coloured balconies look kinda cool. Niche but interesting concept in this building. I live up the road so I hope the restaurant that ends in there is good haha.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
The coloured balconies look kinda cool. Niche but interesting concept in this building. I live up the road so I hope the restaurant that ends in there is good haha.
Where did you hear there is going to be a restaurant? I wasn't aware that it was a mixed-use building.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 4:13 PM
the first stamp is free

^ main floor is mostly commercial. However I don't believe a restaurant was ever considered (or possible given it's additional HVAC requirements). It would be for an office or similar.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Where did you hear there is going to be a restaurant? I wasn't aware that it was a mixed-use building.
It's in their renders that they envisioned a café or some other restaurant. https://themanitoban.com/2023/04/rai...th-year/45188/

Also, it's referenced in several news articles when it was announced that they intend to have a leasable CRU on the main floor.
"On Broadway, Mian said that will not be an issue. The hub will be resource centre’s first “purpose-built” home in its history, and will include the resource centre’s offices, a community space, affordable seniors’ housing, and a main level commercial space of some kind." (FREEP, https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...pride-of-place) ]

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ main floor is mostly commercial. However I don't believe a restaurant was ever considered (or possible given it's additional HVAC requirements). It would be for an office or similar.
Ah, I must have misinterpreted the intent.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 4:18 PM

Cafe and restaurant aren't the same. A cafe could serve coffee and muffins.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Cafe and restaurant aren't the same. A cafe could serve coffee and muffins.
Good point.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 5:05 PM

A cafe would seem to be an odd choice, given that Harrison's is right there.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 5:50 PM

Looks like Paragon is moving forward with 126-140 Sherbrook St. Meeting date is April 4, so we should be able to see some drawings on DMIS on March 29.

https://legacy.winnipeg.ca/ppd/Publi...-23-237179%2FD

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Looks like Paragon is moving forward with 126-140 Sherbrook St. Meeting date is April 4, so we should be able to see some drawings on DMIS on March 29.

https://legacy.winnipeg.ca/ppd/Publi...-23-237179%2FD
Great to see! There are some rough houses along Sherbrook and redevelopment will help give it that neighbourhood high street vibe.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 9:37 PM

Roughage Eatery (vegan restaurant) is in 126 Sherbrook, one of the houses being torn down for Paragon's project. Sounds like the building is in poor shape due to a negligent landlord (refusing to fix broken furnace, etc) and they're planning to move anyway because of that and the social problems:

"Things have been tough with the current location and all its issues, rising costs of everything and folks spending less money." - https://roughageeatery.ca

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleb View Post
Roughage Eatery (vegan restaurant) is in 126 Sherbrook, one of the houses being torn down for Paragon's project. Sounds like the building is in poor shape due to a negligent landlord (refusing to fix broken furnace, etc) and they're planning to move anyway because of that and the social problems:

"Things have been tough with the current location and all its issues, rising costs of everything and folks spending less money." - https://roughageeatery.ca
That's shitty. I suppose somewhere on Corydon, Osborne or maybe somewhere near the university would be prime location to them.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 4:37 PM

Ah yes, the classical rhetorical technique, argumentum ab vegetābilis

https://globalnews.ca/news/10404040/...es-neighbours/

Quote:
The Westminster Housing Co-op also voiced concerns at the meeting, saying the building’s shadow would block sunlight that some residents rely on to grow food.

“We have a lot of concerns about how much sunlight those vegetables will actually have access to, particularly on the lower floors and in the north yard,” said Chandra Mayor, the co-op board’s president.

Paragon has submitted a shadow study, and says it meets city requirements.
So odd that these community organizations seem so concerned with keep the neighbourhood economically depressed. Perhaps by introducing a mix of incomes the neighbourhood will flourish much like Wolseley. Bloody nimbys haha.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Ah yes, the classical rhetorical technique, argumentum ab vegetābilis

https://globalnews.ca/news/10404040/...es-neighbours/

So odd that these community organizations seem so concerned with keep the neighbourhood economically depressed. Perhaps by introducing a mix of incomes the neighbourhood will flourish much like Wolseley. Bloody nimbys haha.
This project is such as no-brainer. Paragon was even nice enough to include some affordable units. Can't believe there are some many people from the neighbourhood making such a fuss about it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan