HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post
Took those ones today.

Century City - L.A. (from Baldwin Hills) by Sylvio Pinnow, on Flickr

Expo Line between Santa Monica and Downtown.

Expo Line & Canals by Sylvio Pinnow, on Flickr

Century City - L.A. by Sylvio Pinnow, on Flickr

Hollywood Sign by Sylvio Pinnow, on Flickr
Loving that first panoramic shot!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 2:49 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Speaking of Century City (and nearby naves), here are a couple of pictures from last Thursday, taken with my old AF iPhone, so bear with the lack of image quality...

Waldorf Astoria
Looking really good, and the finishes are real stone. Wishing this was white stone to go along with the streamline moderne design of this, but that is a nit-picky critique. This building is turning out great.

Image credit: Me and my old AF iPhone

Westfield Century City
Shot of Westfield Century City Phase 1 in the background nearing completion - Phase 2 is probably 6-9 months behind Phase 1), with a bonus of what appeared to be equipment for the Purple Line extension. After further review the following day, the crane may have been for the trees located right behind it. This is my office view - and the green pit is where the Century City Purple Line stop will eventually go, so I'll be able to update this construction as it progresses.

Image credit: Me and my old AF iPhone
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 8:27 PM

Well, removing those trees will be the first thing you do before excavating...

I'm not sure where Metro is in regards to timeline on Phase 2 of Purple Line extension. No mention from Metro on prep work or utility relocation.

CAA deathstar blocks my view of that parcel so I can't tell what exactly is going on.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 9:27 PM

Youre right on regarding the Waldorf.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 5:41 PM

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 8:23 PM

Some updates to the Westfield Topanga town center development, including some (likely very speculative) drawings - http://promenade2035.com/project.php

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargocultpants View Post
Some updates to the Westfield Topanga town center development, including some (likely very speculative) drawings - http://promenade2035.com/project.php
I believe this is at the site of the Westfield Promenade, not the Westfield Topanga.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 3:22 PM

Ah, you're right, it's right in the URL. All three of those malls are basically the same complex in my head.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargocultpants View Post
Ah, you're right, it's right in the URL. All three of those malls are basically the same complex in my head.
Agreed, just varying levels of tiredness (other than the new Village)

Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 4:52 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

I don't know how serious this proposal is, but I think it's beautiful and something we'd all love to see get built. It's a Brooks + Scarpa design for a new 250,000-SF office complex adjacent to the Expo Line Culver City station.

Larger renderings here.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 8:04 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ That's amazing and needs to be built. It would replace the existing FedEx shipping center and attached office building that used to (and may still) house adult film company Dani's Hard Drive.

In a nearby nave, here's a shot of the front of Westfield Century City from the last day of Q1 (Friday). The first phase, which will include Macy's, Equinox, Eataly, and a few other stores, looks to be pretty close to opening.

Image Source: Me and my old AF iPhone
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 11:28 PM

Expo Culver City Station is making me jealous. I commute via the Red Line almost everyday from Vermont/Sunset Station and the area around it hasn't changed much in over a decade. The hospitals are ok, but there are still all those pedestrian unfriendly banks, gas station, and the Barnsdall Square Shopping Center immediately north of the station. It's a really unpleasant walk to the station entrance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
I don't know how serious this proposal is, but I think it's beautiful and something we'd all love to see get built. It's a Brooks + Scarpa design for a new 250,000-SF office complex adjacent to the Expo Line Culver City station.

Larger renderings here.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Frangelino View Post
Expo Culver City Station is making me jealous. I commute via the Red Line almost everyday from Vermont/Sunset Station and the area around it hasn't changed much in over a decade. The hospitals are ok, but there are still all those pedestrian unfriendly banks, gas station, and the Barnsdall Square Shopping Center immediately north of the station. It's a really unpleasant walk to the station entrance.
Lol it's not that bad

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 4:17 PM

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 7:27 PM

Thought I would revisit this list now that the first Quarter of the year is over and the specter of Measure S dooming many projects has passed. Very little has changed but there are a few things of note. Please let me know if I missed anything.

Notably-

-Per Urbanize, the Hollywood Thompson Hotel has broken ground, that wasn't on the list previously and clocks in at 11 stories.

-As speculated below, 5901 Sunset (now known as "Epic") is showing signs of construction start.

-Century Plaza hotel hopefully has movement but I defer to Colemonkee for any progress update.

-9900 Wilshire continues to have people on site with the Santa Monica Blvd gate open during the day. I'm guessing they are doing utility work.

-Hotels on Sunset in Weho (House of Blues site, etc) that haven't started yet could be in trouble-
http://www.wehoville.com/2017/03/29/...-construction/

-All other project sites remain unchanged to the best of my knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve8263 View Post
In the spirit of the list created by forum member ConstructDTLA in the downtown thread of projects under construction and likely to break ground this year, I took a lap thru the first page of this thread as well as Urbanize to offer up a comparable compilation (10 floors or greater) with my own 2 cents worth of analysis-

Probable for starting this year (in no particular order)-

-Hollywood Thompson Hotel- 11 floors (Site cleared- https://aerial.live/cp1e1/ )

-(W)rapper at La Cienega/Jefferson Station- 17 floors (construction permit issues and site recently cleared)

-Former cement plant on Sepulveda and Pico- 13 Floors (Now owned by Carmel Partners, Could the final floor count have changed?)

-Century Plaza Hotel Redevelopment - 46 Floors x2 (supposedly broke ground back in March but only interior demo so far per colemonkee)

-Hollywood Palladium Towers - 27 Floors x2 (Developer has very deep pockets, see 10000 SM project)

-5901 Sunset Blvd. - 15 Floors (the Icon project across the street rented out overnight when Netflix leased the whole thing, bodes well for this one)

-9900 Wilshire (aka One Beverly Hills) - 11 Floors x2 (Chinese backers and city of BH approvals in hand)

-Academy Square Project (Supposedly had a 2016 start date)

-Wilshire Curson Office Building- 12 Floors (Spring 2017, reputable developer JH Snyder)

Doubtful-

-Millenium Hollywood - 39 and 35 Floors

-333 La Cienega Blvd. - 17 Floors (Caruso project suddenly coming under heavy fire from NIMBY's)

-8150 Sunset Blvd. - 15 Floors / 11 Floors (Still has NIMBY's fighting it and developer financing unknown)

-The Four Seasons Private Residences - 12 Floors (No financing regardless of the lot being cleared and fence up)

-Wilshire and La Jolla - 15 Floors (developer partners suing each other)

-6220 W. Yucca- 32 Floors (Supposedly 2017 groundbreaking per Urbanize)

-Former House of Blues site Hotel- 10 Floors (Site been a ghost town for months)

Unknown-

-The litany of recent Koreatown proposals, mostly Jameson Properties, a comprehensive list of those projects can be found here-

http://la.curbed.com/maps/koreatown-...-new-buildings

-Beverly Hilton condo towers- (project timeline unknown after redesign defeated at ballot box)

Last edited by Steve8263; Apr 19, 2017 at 4:36 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 7:30 PM
Paramoderator

You gotta hang it to Culver City - they sure are putting their money where their mouth is in terms of taking advantage of the new metro line.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 8:01 PM
Ascension

I used to live in Culver City. It was awesome even before the Expo Line. It's only going to get better. I miss Culver City. One of my favorite places in LA. Literally 15 minutes from everything.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
Lol it's not that bad
Yes it is. That whole area is severely underzoned thanks to the Vermont Western TOD specific plan. See for yourself http://cityplanning.lacity.org/compl...WestTODmap.pdf

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 5:12 PM

Drove past the site of 5750 Hollywood Blvd this weekend. The old building on that site is almost totally torn down now.
http://urbanize.la/post/proposed-eas...pushes-forward

Last edited by San Frangelino; Apr 4, 2017 at 5:31 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 6:27 PM
Paramoderator

Urbanized LA reporting that One Beverly Hills / 9900 Beverly Hills has started construction. Say what you will about the building, this is hands down my favorite lobby in LA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_6YeSAqH0U

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations