HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

1090 West Pender Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
The rumours have this being Bentall 6, and 745 Thurlow won't be labeled as such. I'm sure someone can confirm or deny shortly.
You will note that BK never called 745 Thurlow Bentall 6. Only the market did that.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 1:12 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post

I don't like the podium, either - the closely spaced mullions look like venting grilles, which does nothing to improve upon the neighbouring concrete podium facade (1050 Pender) or the Bentall parkade entrance further 2 doors down.
Also, the horizontal fins up the tower look a little like balconies (at least in the renders), giving the building a residential appearance from some angles.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 6:13 PM

retail on that corner will be great!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 8:32 PM

The floorplans show the lobby on the corner and retail flanking it on Pender and on Thurlow.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 2:24 AM
ON3P Skis

Meant to say Bentall 6. Whoops.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenegade View Post
Meant to say Bentall 6. Whoops.
Will this be Bentall 6?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thousands Wouldn't View Post
Will this be Bentall 6?
It has no connection whatsoever, financial or physical, with Bentall Centre, so only an uninformed market would call it so.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
It has no connection whatsoever, financial or physical, with Bentall Centre, so only an uninformed market would call it so.
It's a shame there is the above ground parkade next to 1050 West Pender (on the East) otherwise I bet they would be able to incorporate some form of indoor covered walkway to connect both 1050 W Pender and this building to the Bentall Centre.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 10:36 PM

BTW, the retail space fronting Pender is large
- 10,639 sq ft at grade and 18,575 sq ft on the 2nd floor, with an escalator shown connecting the two.

Could be a supermarket, but I wonder if any big box stores would venture over that way? (Marshall's, Winners, HomeSense?)
Shoppers Drug Mart is already down the road at The Ritz, which had/has a large vacant 2nd floor retail space.
This location is closer to the core and could attract a number of downtown office workers to shop.

Hopefully the 2nd floor won't be converted to office space (as has been done at the Telus Garden condo).

Old Posted Dec 11, 2013, 11:14 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I'd rather have the 2nd floor converted to office space then house marginal retail space. I imagine that's what will end up happening. The location doesn't have synergy to warrant much retail, perhaps a restaurant could work on the second floor though.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
I'd rather have the 2nd floor converted to office space then house marginal retail space. I imagine that's what will end up happening. The location doesn't have synergy to warrant much retail, perhaps a restaurant could work on the second floor though.
Synergy has to start from somewhere. I think it would propel the neighbouring owners/retailers to improve when a competition comes in the neighbourhood. Urban renewal on the retail front is critical. Hopefully one day Thurlow can tie the busy Robson/Alberni streets area to the waterfront convention centre.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 4:01 AM

I much prefer my design from over a year ago lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
It's actually 31 stories ON TOP of the 11 stories in the existing building, for a total height of 42 stories and 540 feet, which is perfect for the location. Floorplates range from 14,000sf to 9000sf at the top, which is still larger than at MNP tower. The bulk of the new tower structure will replace the parkade next to 1090, but regular office floors don't begin until level 12. The existing building will undergo a seismic upgrade, with the first 2 floors (where Purolator is) reclad in spider-glass curtain wall to suit high end retail. It's a similar type building to 900 Hastings where Chanel is, and so will go through a similar upgrade.

It's the best of all worlds!

concept design images
They don't make precast concrete cladding like they used to!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 5:27 AM

I prefer dleung's design too. Come on, surely we aren't the only forumers that have some love for the existing building?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 6:49 AM

Chalk it up to another 60s-ish modernist building with precast concrete detailing that's being wiped out ffrom the landscape.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 8:08 AM

Ditto that!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 12:37 AM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Bentall Centre 5 doesn't have connection to Bentall Centre, yet it's name remains. Perhaps only because that's the way it was built?

I speculated Bentall 6 mainly because of proximity but I didn't realize that not only does Bentall Kennedy no longer own Bentall Centre, but they don't manage it either. So 1090 West Pender it is!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenegade View Post
Bentall Centre 5 doesn't have connection to Bentall Centre, yet it's name remains. Perhaps only because that's the way it was built?

I speculated Bentall 6 mainly because of proximity but I didn't realize that not only does Bentall Kennedy no longer own Bentall Centre, but they don't manage it either. So 1090 West Pender it is!
Correct, althought Bentall still property manages B5 and one of its funds bought B5 a short while ago.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 11:34 AM
Reason and Freedom

If it makes sense to tear down 1090 West Pender for a taller office tower, then what about 1155 West Pender? It is an even shorter office building than the current 1090 West Pender (and looks about the same age too). And, most intriguingly, the infernal viewcones actually allow for 600 feet (183 metres) there.

Last edited by Prometheus; Dec 16, 2013 at 1:09 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
If it makes sense to tear down 1090 West Pender for a taller office tower, then what about 1155 West Pender? It is an even shorter office building than the current 1090 West Pender (and looks about the same age too). And, most intriguingly, the infernal viewcones actually allow for 600 feet (183 metres) there.

WHAT?
That's dumb, bizarre, shortsighted, and somehow dishonest (on their part, not yours.....)
Good thing you brought this to the public attention.
WTF !!

Somebody should be hollering about this, and get those greenies
at City Hall to shape up and allow Vancouver the dynamic downtown urban landscape it deserves !!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 4:59 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Trofirhen instead of flying of the handle maybe you should be asking why 1050 is staying and 1090 is going. Do you really think the people that own the properties aren't aware of what can and can't be built? Do you think they don't have a long term plans? What is it that you expect the city to do? Obligate property owners to develop because someone at the city wants them to? Give your head a shake man and relax.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver