HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 5:26 PM
National Capital Region

The Galleria II | 42.5 m | 14 fl | Completed

Update: March 2010 new renders

Proposal to construct a 14-storey residential condominium building at 234 Besserer Street. Shared parking and amenities with 200 Besserer Street.

Development application page

Site plan

ground floor commercial space.. nice!

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Mar 30, 2010 at 7:14 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 5:56 PM
Mooderator

Two 819 sq. ft commecial spaces, one on each corner. I'm thinking coffee shop and convenience store.

Where's the decorative metal screen going?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 4:33 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 9:57 PM

Density is density...hope this gets the green light...

Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 10:25 PM
Busy Beaver

So are they calling this Galleria Phase 2? I hope they have better luck excavating this pit. Note to self: do not park a car near there while they are digging

Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 12:41 PM
Mooderator

Hehehe...

Or maybe, if you're looking to get a new car, parking near here could be an option

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 3:59 PM

Looking at the rendering...I like, I like...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 2:21 AM
Busy Beaver

Hey, this could be like one of those progression questions on an IQ test

If there were to be a third tower it would be:

A)

B)

C)

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Hey, this could be like one of those progression questions on an IQ test

If there were to be a third tower it would be:

A)

B)

C)

Well, that's a question with two answers:
rationally, B)
but in reality, with the NIMBY factor accounted for, A)

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 8:39 AM

Second phase looks good, Rideau Street is really developing its own skyline.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 5:31 PM
National Capital Region

richcraft has the status of this project on its website (application)
http://www.richcraft.com/234besserer.htm

Location Rideau-Vanier Ward
Floors 14
Unit Types condominium suites
Proposed No. of Units 103
Date Available To be determined

Overview The proposed condominium at 234 Besserer Street is located at the corner of Besserer and King Edward Street, immediately left of, and attached to The Galleria, Richcraft's new condominium in downtown Ottawa, steps from the ByWard Market. Both buildings will share similar exterior architecture.

Current Status 234 Besserer Street is at the application stage.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 12:04 AM

Approval stage:

"Richcraft has received approval from the City to proceed with the development."

Construction stage:

"Construction has started for this new project. Further information can be obtained from the associated sales centre."

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 10:22 PM
National Capital Region

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Nov 22, 2009 at 5:33 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 10:10 PM

Cool, at this rate, the East Market and Sandy hill is going to end up as dense as the CBD in about 10 years...

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 10:55 PM

I have no doubt that the people that buy in this building will be very happy with their purchase but it's going to be a bumpy ride getting there (approximately 50% sold now).
  1. Everyone involved with Galleria I from the labourers to the project manager has either quite or been laid off leaving no one in Richcraft familiar with high rise construction. The new building will be a whole new team - for better or worse.
  2. There's a majour communications cable running through the site and all kinds of consultants are being hired to figure out how and how much $ to move it.
  3. No budget has yet been drafted (according to my latest info) so I have no idea how they determined a selling cost.
  4. The floor plans used by the sales department do not comply with minimum set back rules so your apartment can not legally be like it is on paper.
  5. Galleria I is already getting ready for battle over the use of the pool and fitness room by Galleria II residents.

It will be a nice building but fun to watch the growing (building) pains me thinks. BTW... the two retail spots have been sold rather than leased. One is proposed to be a doctor's office with the other as a... wait for it... drug store. Mind you at 800+ sq/ft it's likely to be a small independent hawking prescriptions along with a limited number of snake oils rather than a Shoppers supper store.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 2:10 AM

It could be just me, but I wouldnt want to live in building with a doctors office in it. I know nothing will probably be shared, but the idea of sick people always congregating outside the building just kind of makes me more paranoid ... lol ... Sorry I swear I'm just slightly germ-o-phobic ...

And is a small independant pharmacy a great idea for that owner, there's a PharmaPlus in the CPI and CPII building ... (I believe they have a pharmacy in there, no?)

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServiceGuy View Post
  1. Everyone involved with Galleria I from the labourers to the project manager has either quite or been laid off leaving no one in Richcraft familiar with high rise construction. The new building will be a whole new team - for better or worse.
So would it be safe to assume that Richcraft won't be doing anything with 255 Bay until Galleria II is complete? Sounds like they're overstretched as it is.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodionx View Post
So would it be safe to assume that Richcraft won't be doing anything with 255 Bay until Galleria II is complete? Sounds like they're overstretched as it is.
I'll reply to that in the 255 thread but my info is about 6 months out of date given there are no trades involved with the site.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodionx View Post

Just found some info about this Bay Street project...

Quote:
Four years later, Bay Street wrecks still await demolition
Friday, 11 December 2009
By Kathryn Parkinson

Published in : Centretown News, News

Yun Wu, Centretown News
These dilapitated Bay Street properties have been waiting for redevelopment since 2005.The onset of winter weather is causing Bay Street residents and business owners to worry that the street’s dilapidated properties are more than just an eyesore – they are a fire hazard.

Redevelopment plans remain at a standstill, but over the past year firefighters visiting the property for training have given locals a glimpse of a safer neighbourhood.

A sign promoting the “Lifestyle Condos Coming Soon with Richcraft Group of Companies” has been stuck in front of five vacant houses from 249 to 259 Bay Street, across from Centennial school, since the properties were slated for redevelopment in 2005.

But the picturesque 15-storey dream condominium is still nowhere near being realized, says Richcraft planner Kevin Yemm.

“There’s so much up in the air. We thought it would be on the go by now but it just doesn’t seem to be the right time,” says Yemm. “This project is an exceptional case for Richcraft.”

Rotting pumpkins from Halloween, innumerable piles of Tim Horton’s coffee cups and beer bottles pepper the vacant properties. The buildings attract spray-painting vandals, who have decorated the walls with letters, symbols, and other types of graffiti.

The only real homeowners are super-sized squirrels that bounce around their lot of hidden treasures. They scurry through the shattered windows and feed off the garbage that is scattered around the building’s shared backyard – a marshy ecosystem of waste.

One of the buildings still advertises the former Bay Guest House Finest Bed & Breakfast, with a deal for $49 per night. But nearby business owners say it’s clear that the only people residing in these buildings are staying for free. The unsightly houses are a convenient hub for homeless people.

“Basically they were shut down and boarded up,” Yemm says. “But the buildings get broken into occasionally so we have to check up on it regularly.”

Yemm says Richcraft sends a maintenance person to the buildings a few times each week to ensure that no one can access them.

But the manager of the Bayscorner convenience store, Suk, who did not disclose his first name, says he worries that with freezing temperatures looming, homeless people will break in and build fires for warmth, putting nearby buildings in jeopardy.

“Sometimes firefighters come to the building because they worry about the fire,” says Suk. “It’s very dangerous.” He says it’s a good idea to have the fire fighters in and out of the properties to make sure they are safe.

Yemm says the police and fire department were called to the property so many times, they asked for permission to conduct fire fighter training there last winter and spring.

“They had thought it was a good spot to do training, so they did several exercises in anticipation that we would be demolishing the buildings,” says Yemm. It is unknown as to whether the firefighters will return this winter.

While neighbouring businesses like Bayscorner remain in the dark as to when the buildings might reach the construction phase, area residents soon enter their fifth year of dealing with the repercussions of the stalled condo construction plan.

“It’s taking too long for the authorities or the professionals to come in and deal with the eyesores that are left in the downtown area,” says Jean Powell, who works in a nearby apartment building. “They are infested with animals and are hoarding places for homeless people.”

“It’s a serious case of neglect and complacency,” says Powell.

Yemm says that Richcraft’s design has been site-plan approved, but the demolition won’t happen until they are issued a building permit by the city.

“The company has decided to not go through with any construction at this point,” he says.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2010, 11:54 PM

Not from my regular source but... rumour has it that Richcraft is interested in acquiring the low-rise rental properties that front onto King Edward so that they can expand Galleria II. If that happens it will mean delays while they get the new site plan approved not to mention the purchase of the properties. A smart move in my opinion but can they afford the wait with Plaza III scheduled to break ground this spring? Either way, Besserer Street will be a tight squeeze to get through from Cumberland to King Edward with all the construction equipment in the area. Galleria I residents are likely looking at living in a construction zone for the next five years at least.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa