HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 7:49 PM

Gdynia - This White, Modern City

Hi everyone!

After more than 2 years from promise to do this thread and 4 years of my photography adventure, I feel more than verry happy that this is the time to make a new thread!

This thread is about Gdynia, Poland. One of the youngest cities (established on 02/10/26) in country. Known for Opener Festival. Although my city is not well known even in my Middle-Eastern European region it's not a debut here on SSP. First time when you probably saw it was this thread made by Boroda 2 years ago. On his photos you saw emtpy city with grey skies, no people and none of green trees. It wasn't his fault that he had this type of weather. But it wouldn't be fair to not show the real side of my city which is best to see and experience through spring and summer months and this kind of weather conditions. And I will do my best to show it

The thread is concerned about Gdynia's finest: modern architecture of 20s/30s and today, lots of green spaces, sea type of things such as boats or cranes and more. Of course it's still only a small part of what is interesting in my city and whole region, including Trojmiasto (Threecity, Tricity). Gdynia is a part of it with Sopot and Gdansk (we have a interesting Hel Peninsula in Pomorskie voivodeship too). I guess I'm gonna show both of them in the future (those are much more older and touristy in european and non-european minds), but no more promises from me this time

What more for introduction to my debut thread? I highly recommend to listen music put below. I think it is the best choice for the couple of reasons. I think you will know

Video Link

I hope you like it and feel free to post comments and ask about everything what there is to ask about my hometown Of course all theses photos are mine and they are 100% subjective. They show how I see Gdynia.

So, here it is:

Last edited by thomas_zul; Jul 12, 2013 at 8:04 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 7:50 PM

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 8:05 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

I like Gdynia, though I had never heard about it. It looks a nice city, yes. Thanks for the pictures, very good quality and great variety. Fantastic debut, thomas_zul!

Looking forward to see more threads from you...

Congratulations and greetings from Madrid, Spain!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 10:41 PM
not a NIMBY

fascinating to see

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 4:41 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Thanks!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 10:44 AM

Nice shots.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 8:35 PM

Thank you all for your comments!

Danny - It's not surprising that you haven't heard of it until now. Compared to most of the cities shown in here Gdynia is not that big with only circa 250 thousands inhabitants in it's borders. But whole Trojmiasto metro area (with Sopot and Gdansk and without other small towns around) has way more than 700 thousands of inhabitants. With those towns it's more than one million.

Gdynia is known for hosting Open'er Festival. This year's edition ended just a couple of days ago Who played here in our festival history? Snoop Dogg, Kanye West, Bloc Party, The Chemical Brothers, Cool Kids of Death, Sex Pistols, Arctic Monkeys, The Cardigans, Janelle Monáe, Public Enemy, Kings of Leon... list goes on and on. I just want to name a few Open'er is well known in this part of Europe and judging by nationality of "music tourists" it's getting bigger and bigger every year So it's already huge.

I'm glad that you liked it 'cause Gdynia is the most unknown and underrated city of Trojmiasto (3city). And I live here from day one, so I know almost every aspect of my city and I want to show it here in most interesting way.

I don't know when and how will look like my next thread but there's a chance I do the next one!

Thanks and greetings to you from modernism pearl of Gdynia, Poland!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 9:10 PM
Red October standing by

interesting and i see a beach. i think i'll go and bring my wife since she's pining for the beach.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jul 14, 2013, 12:30 PM

Most of the tourist (at least from Poland) doesn't come to Gdynia to see modernism, which is shameful. They come for Open'er Festival or to lay at beach. Ironically the best beaches in Pomorze/Pomorskie Voivodeship are those in Hel Peninsula (Polwysep Helski). There you can see Gdynia (down) and Hel Peninsula (up). Beach in Gdynia Center is pretty small (click), so I would suggest you to come here and sightsee all the Trojmiasto (with Sopot and Gdansk of course) and then ride from Gdynia directly to Hel Peninsula (click)with use of a car or train.

Of course you're welcome

Old Posted Jul 14, 2013, 6:32 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

You're a beautiful photographer.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 2:22 AM

Great photos of an interesting city and also great music selection. I am very fond of Bloc Party. I was listening to Skeleton as I opened the thread!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 4:31 PM

Thank you SignalHillHiker and FerrariEnzo for kind words! I appreciate it!

And by the way, Bloc Party is also a favourite band of mine, so I'm glad that I'm not alone

PS. I wonder if you guys would like to check some vintage shots from 20s and 30s when Gdynia grew up from small fish village to pretty big and modern city. Of course I don't have personal photos but I know some in the web. What would you say?

All my photos/pictures are taken by me. Please do not post any of them without my written permission. All rights reserved.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 10:28 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Thanks for the interesting tour! Never saw pics of this city or its 2 neighbors that you referenced. I really like your two new waterfront towers. Looks similar in style to the unique port/harbor city highrises being built in different cities in the Netherlands, specifically Rotterdam, Hague, Amsterdam. Maybe Scandinavia as well?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_zul View Post
Thank you SignalHillHiker and FerrariEnzo for kind words! I appreciate it!

And by the way, Bloc Party is also a favourite band of mine, so I'm glad that I'm not alone

PS. I wonder if you guys would like to check some vintage shots from 20s and 30s when Gdynia grew up from small fish village to pretty big and modern city. Of course I don't have personal photos but I know some in the web. What would you say?
Sure, it can only add to the further enriching experience of the thread. Why not?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 3:02 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

why have i heard of sopot and of course gdansk, but not this big city? looks just fine. i like the style of some of those later deco period bldgs. the beach is very nice, too. thanks for this!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 5:11 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Thanks for the photos, this is interesting because most of us in the "west" are not familiar with it or have not heard of it. I enjoyed seeing the nice examples of early modern buildings.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_zul View Post
Hi everyone!

After more than 2 years from promise to do this thread and 4 years of my photography adventure, I feel more than verry happy that this is the time to make a new thread!

This thread is about Gdynia, Poland. One of the youngest cities (established on 02/10/26) in country. Known for Opener Festival. Although my city is not well known even in my Middle-Eastern European region it's not a debut here on SSP. First time when you probably saw it was this thread made by Boroda 2 years ago. On his photos you saw emtpy city with grey skies, no people and none of green trees. It wasn't his fault that he had this type of weather. But it wouldn't be fair to not show the real side of my city which is best to see and experience through spring and summer months and this kind of weather conditions. And I will do my best to show it

The thread is concerned about Gdynia's finest: modern architecture of 20s/30s and today, lots of green spaces, sea type of things such as boats or cranes and more. Of course it's still only a small part of what is interesting in my city and whole region, including Trojmiasto (Threecity, Tricity). Gdynia is a part of it with Sopot and Gdansk (we have a interesting Hel Peninsula in Pomorskie voivodeship too). I guess I'm gonna show both of them in the future (those are much more older and touristy in european and non-european minds), but no more promises from me this time
Tomek, I've waited for this your thread really for a long time (hope you remember our chatting )
It's great that you kept your promise nevertheless.
Nice pics, bro! So colorful! Your camera is very nice.
Your photos reminds me about my visiting of Gdynia two years ago! Wanna go there again! ))) Please invite me! Hahaha!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 7:53 AM

Austinlee - I'm happy you like it. These towers are called Sea Towers and they're the most controversial project in recent years. I don't know why, because they are very good in term of architecture. But you know - some of these people will never like something what's new and brings freshness. They would rather like to see there some low blocks or "better" - grass with trees Well, I don't and I'm glad that this building was finished years ago

FerrariEnzo - So, here they are (not mine!):

Market Hall (Hala Targowa), built in 1936-38. As you can see this shot is from WWII time.

http://www.gotenhafen.pl/112markthalle2.html

Main street 10 Lutego in 1914.

http://www.gdynia.pl/zdjecia/?page=11&kategoria=47

Maritime Station (Dworzec Morski). Built in 1933.

http://fotopolska.eu/zdjecia,200,40/...=dataWykonania

Polish Ocean Lines. Built in 1936.

http://fotopolska.eu/zdjecia,280,40/...=dataWykonania

And last but not least. Check this old photo. It's too big to post it here.

PS. Of course all these old photos aren't mine and they're just a very small part of what we've got from this period of time. I put them here only for historical and educational purposes. Links to orginal sites are available

Mrnyc - Thanks! I think the reason is Gdansk and Sopot are more touristy in sense of old architecture and XIX-th century (or even middleage) vibe. Especially Gdansk is the main place where tourists heads up from trains or ships. Gdynia is a young and fine city to see and live. For sure my city deserves more attention, so this is why this thread is here.

Btw. Most of these buildings are from 30s so this is more typical modernist style than Art-Deco. Of course we have some Art-Deco but not much. For Gdynia streamline shapes and white elevations are most common

Architype - Thanks and there are of course much and much more of them And we can't forget about beautifull modernist staircases like this (photo not mine).

Boroda - I finally made it

I remember our chatting and your thread about Gdynia

Yeah my camera is nice but I need better lens.

You're welcome here! It would be nice to see each other and maybe I could take you on a trip through most interesting parts of the city

PS. If you guys enjoy this thread please let it make to second page, so I can put some shots of Gdynia (and maybe Sopot) from my cellphone! Thanks!

All my photos/pictures are taken by me. Please do not post any of them without my written permission. All rights reserved.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 3:59 PM
International

Thanks for sharing! I love the Interwar architecture found in various German and Polish cities.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 1:20 PM

Thanks man I love it too. Gdynia is somewhat a capital of modernist style buildings in Poland because in XXth century the city was built in this one style. Back then whole city was modernist. Of course now we also have newer buildings which some of them are cool, but some are not worth of mentioning.

But if you're interested in modernism I recommend you to check out also Warszawa (Warsaw - the capital of Poland), Katowice (there's alot of interwar modernism here) and maybe Lodz if we're talking only about big cities, not those smaller.

PS. Soon on the next page I'll show you some cellphone photos worth of watching I think I hope you're still interested!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos