HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
THIS. WVC is exploding and really doing a great job on its core and 56th west flank. Its crime levels are dropping and it's a natural ally being a blue town. Here is some of the core work: https://fox13now.com/2019/01/31/west-valley-city-leaders-discuss-plans-to-renovate-and-reimagine-downtown-west-valley-city/
No one wants to be annexed. The way to go about this is through a campaign extolling the benefits of unifying the cities and then a public vote.

#Onecity

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
No one wants to be annexed. The way to go about this is through a campaign extolling the benefits of unifying the cities and then a public vote.

#Onecity
Such a bill would make Salt Lake City the 10th largest city in the United States.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post

#Onecity
I would like to see a study on this. I wonder what the tax implications and quality of service would be for the average Salt Laker.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 9:43 PM
They all float down here

There have been attempts in the past to unify Salt Lake County - or some semblance of it - and it's failed each time. It will fail again. This topic seems to come up every year and it's just a pointless discussion - it's not going to happen.

I've written about the proposals in the past - including one that would have unified all the unincorporated areas of Salt Lake County at the time (this was when WVC was just Granger and Hunter), which would've created the state's largest city. But I am not going to wade through my post history to find 'em.

Still, it's something no one probably wants, anyway. I like the uniqueness of Salt Lake, and its culture, and frankly, a lot of that would be lost if we absorbed every other city in the county.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 5:12 AM

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 5:52 AM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig View Post
I better not have gotten a virus after clicking on that...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 5:53 AM

Quote:
OMG!!!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 5:53 AM

Quote:
What’s great about having a new tallest in this location is there are quite a few surface parking lots right around this location, and if we were to get a couple more 40 story towers built on those nearby lots, we could have a skyline similar to Minneapolis. Would also bring the center of development out of the historic core, preserving more existing buildings, and filling up more surface parking lots (I’m assuming this development is for the nw corner lot of 400 S. and West Temple?).

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 8:50 AM
Let It Rise!

Wow, I like it, but I'm still waiting for all the other "Salt Lake is Going to get" Proposals. I can still hope I guess.

"What’s great about having a new tallest in this location is there are quite a few surface parking lots right around this location, and if we were to get a couple more 40 story towers built on those nearby lots, we could have a skyline similar to Minneapolis. Would also bring the center of development out of the historic core, preserving more existing buildings, and filling up more surface parking lots (I’m assuming this development is for the nw corner lot of 400 S. and West Temple?)."

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 9:04 AM
Let It Rise!

https://channel45news.com/2019/02/sa...s-new-tallest/

Salt Lake taller than tallest, even taller than Twigs post of Salt Lakes New Tallest.

Who is this Twig, another ass?

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com

Last edited by ctobsl; Feb 10, 2019 at 9:17 AM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctobsl View Post
https://channel45news.com/2019/02/sa...s-new-tallest/

Salt Lake taller than tallest, even taller than Twigs post of Salt Lakes New Tallest.

Who is this Twig, another ass?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 3:14 PM
Engineer

Quote:
I believed this for a good two minutes. So cruel. It’s not even April 1.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
I believed this for a good two minutes. So cruel. It’s not even April 1.
Looks like some Salt Lake City buildings are being reflected off the glass?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 5:00 PM

He pranked us.... scroll down and read some more of his post

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 6:16 PM

This tower appears to be in China. If you zoom in, you can see Chinese text. Also, I did a google search of Bellands Bay Company and Richard Mymens and found nothing.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 11:29 PM

"We do NOT support FAKE NEWS!!! This is a Prank website that is intended for Fun. Bullying, Violent Threats or posts that Violate Public Order are NOT permitted on this Website."

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 5:21 AM

Utah could soon house the only Olympic-grade skateboard park in North America

https://www.ksl.com/article/46486741...-north-america

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 5:42 AM

Interesting. The first time I clicked on it, I scrolled down, and there was nothing. Then I tried it after Wrendog's post and I saw the "prank" info.

Last edited by Orlando; Feb 11, 2019 at 4:57 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
Ha! But you made them much more thoroughly. I think the regulation aspect is interesting. If this article is from a libertarian think tank, then yeah, it would seem that them arguing against a developer's preference to build densely would be internally inconsistent. But is there a case here for a less regulated approach to density in cities? By which I mean, clearly it is more difficult to go through the planning and approval process for a midrise downtown than it is for a cul de sac in Eagle Mountain, which would raise the costs for the downtown development, and therefor drive up the housing prices for the individuals renting/buying in the downtown property. Of course, lack of regulation can lead to more chaotic/inappropriate development, so there's a trade off. Hypothetically, the market could dictate that if developers built shabby, inappropriate, or otherwise undesirable developments then people won't live there, but often people in the real world will take whatever housing they can get, so it seems to me that there is a pretty reasonable argument for at least some regulation. Does anyone know of real world examples of cities with very strict zoning and cumbersome regulation versus a more laissez faire paradigm? Is one cheaper than the other, and also is one a more "livable" city than the other?
Yes, there is a correlation between restrictive zoning and housing affordability and cost. The website Market Urbanism tracks that here.

As for changing how we zone I love form based zoning. I don't get the impression there is much love for this kind of zoning on this forum, but from what I see it has way more upside than down.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 12:23 AM

Salt Lake Convention Center Hotel Renderings

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West