HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
A few good ones actually.
I’d love to hear them... Im always curious why one chooses not to share.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 12:25 AM

I’m curious what the trouble is. Individual problems or economic headwinds? I keep thinking tariffs and/or interest rate increases have to bite at some point.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
A few good ones actually.
Few good reasons? Or a few good properties?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 1:52 AM

I would assume StoOge is talking about 185 or 6XGuad.

I don't understand why it's necessary to withhold the rumor though
It's an anonymous post on a message board about the state of a development... Just spill the beans!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 3:15 AM

Tonight, I will light a candle that they may save 185 and 6X and take 405 Colorado. The timing of a potential major fallout seems quite coincidental to Amazon's choice awards. We have had about 26 years of nice proposals and many fallouts, but most of them were not the same caliber as the newest ones we are seeing now. You'd think we would be used to it by now, but the prize that is dangling before us is no longer chopped liver but prime rib. It will be harder to accept the best ones being cancelled and to not be pessimistic about future proposals unless its on the same level of the Paisley Tower or 405 Colorado. Without knowing the facts, I'm just bracing myself for the news. I just wish they would stop announcing projects that are not imminent or give us the odds of probability, 20:1, 15% ect... for or against.

Last edited by the Genral; Nov 15, 2018 at 3:30 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 3:25 AM

I could sacrifice Block 185 for 6xGuad... Sure hope it doesn't come to that, though.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 3:53 AM

The proposed project list has steadily grown longer with taller towers over the past few years despite everything that has been built or is still U/C. Sooner or later some projects will start falling by the wayside just because financing will be drying up more so than a lack of demand. I think we are already seeing that, and I have my doubts about 6X and the Republic. The high end residential units on 6X has always worried me. I can see the residential units being dropped in favor of a ~500' office tower. But I think Block 185 is a go because it is Trammell Crow and the bid for excavation and slurry walls went out in late October.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 4:31 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
I could sacrifice Block 185 for 6xGuad... Sure hope it doesn't come to that, though.
That's how I feel about it. I like the direction the design is going for Block 185, but with the site plan being pulled, it's likely the design is being tweaked in a major way. If there are rumors out there about us being let down, I would think the change might not be a good one. Also, we almost never see built what was advertised in renderings. We're almost always let down in some way. So I would expect the design to be less wow than more. My take is that something will happen on that lot, but with it being the last waterfront lot we have on that side of downtown, I want it to be something special. No settling.

Also, my inner skyscraper geek is telling me that if I had to choose, I'd want whatever project is the taller one to be built. This is because if they're going to cancel a design/project, I'd want it to be the shorter one that has less impact on the skyline from afar. 6 X Guadalupe and The Republic are both very important projects because of the height barrier they'd be breaking and will have more of an impact than any building here so far. Losing one of them would be a major blow. Also, even if Block 185 is canceled, something bigger and taller might come along there later. Downtown is only getting more dense and we're running out of buildable sites. At a later date, there would be more incentive/legitimacy to building tall on the Block 185 site. And with the site constraints, the design will still have to be different from the same old same old.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I like the direction the design is going for Block 185, but with the site plan being pulled, it's likely the design is being tweaked in a major way.
Huh? The site plan is under review. In fact it was fast tracked with one site plan for excavation and a second one for tower.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 5:45 AM

Amazon coming here would have locked down The Republic for sure, probably 185 as well if they had opted for a downtown campus like in Nashville. Goes without saying that the highend condos at 6X would have been more attractive to build as well. So maybe they were betting on that.. these two are the same developers, so maybe it’s no coincidence that they’re scaling back. I thought 6X was on track for a December groundbreaking with general contractors already lined up, so I’d be surprised if that fell through.. but maybe the residential will be scrapped. I’m least confident about this one though - at least in its current design. Big blow.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 5:51 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Huh? The site plan is under review. In fact it was fast tracked with one site plan for excavation and a second one for tower.
I was talking about it going inactive back in August, though, another one was filed in October. I'd forgotten they had.

By the way, the Republic is the one I want to see built more than the other two.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 3:58 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

These proposals could not have been only banking on "a possibility only" that Amazon would come. There's obviously demand for office space. There has to be other indicators that may signal trouble ahead if suddenly these projects are on hold. For now it's only speculation, unless otherwise factual information is presented here.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
These proposals could not have been only banking on "a possibility only" that Amazon would come. There's obviously demand for office space. There has to be other indicators that may signal trouble ahead if suddenly these projects are on hold. For now it's only speculation, unless otherwise factual information is presented here.
agreed.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 4:15 PM

I really love this building. It stands proud in the center of the city overlooking the smaller buildings towards the lake, surveying south Austin. I like the way it commands attention. All eyes will be drawn to it, regardless of 6X.

I hope on hope that the Republic stays in its current configuration.

Now, block 185 should be the Belle of the Ball. That position on the lake deserves to be respected and gifted with our city's most beautiful building. Something that makes you beam with civic pride. Thank God for setbacks, or we could wind up with another glass box.

We have certainly been spoiled recently, and I'll take the rest of the day to just be thankful....but then tomorrow, back to high expectations. I can't help it.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 4:54 PM

These are the rumors I've heard. These are just rumors going around and I didn't hear them from anyone directly involved with the projects, so take them for what they are.

6thxGuad - they are negotiating with a couple of office tenants for preleasing. However, even if those two deals don't happen they are willing to start construction because they expect the residential to be successful and help carry the building until the office space becomes income-producing.

The Republic - this may be put on hold so the developers can focus on 6thxGuad.

Block 185 - the full building tenant they were negotiating a lease with has pulled back but the deal isn't dead. This one has a longer runway so it might slow down a little but everyone expects the building to eventually go forward.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 7:05 PM

Honestly want to see 6X get the axe (for now) and Republic & 185 go up asap.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 8:14 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I can see your point however, I think we need to break a new height barrier now rather than later. Once 6XGuad goes up, I think we have a better chance in seeing others in the 700-900 foot range. It may not be the fanciest design but I say build it then we can see the others go up in a couple of years.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 10:09 PM

Agreed, we need to get taller towers soon to fill out that 700'> range. 6XGuad could kickstart that growth.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I can see your point however, I think we need to break a new height barrier now rather than later. Once 6XGuad goes up, I think we have a better chance in seeing others in the 700-900 foot range. It may not be the fanciest design but I say build it then we can see the others go up in a couple of years.
I also see ahealy's point but agree with jdawgboy. Even if we don't ever see another 800 + foot tower, we need this one now fancy or not because it may be our best chance while I'm alive. The impact to the skyline cannot be over hyped, and everything else while amazing, are.....considerably, shorter. In this case, size does matter.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Honestly want to see 6X get the axe (for now) and Republic & 185 go up asap.
I agree here. Design and style over heigth and size. 6 X Guadalupe is elegant, but does not have a wow factor. Big, but not panache. Both Republic & 185 add uniqueness to the skyline which Austin needs more than size, IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin