HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 7:07 PM
BANNED

Thanks, Gordo. As you may know, I'm now in AZ but that building is only a block from my SF condo and I'm very interested in it.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 7:34 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
^I ride by that site on my way home every day. It would be a nice addition in terms of additional housing and in terms of re-establishing the streetwall, but this particular rendering seems sterile and oddly blank.
My first impression as well. If they use the right material, like a nice stone, it would really help though.

And "Yeah!" to the PUC building getting started next week.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Thanks, Gordo. As you may know, I'm now in AZ but that building is only a block from my SF condo and I'm very interested in it.
I'll try to get some pics of it for you next month. I haven't mentioned this on here yet, but my wedding is this weekend followed by a two week honeymoon, so this past weekend my fiancée and I bought a fancy new camera to learn how to use in Australia

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 7:54 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

^The excavation has been happening over there for quite some time.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 8:22 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Congratulations, Gordo! That's great news, and a 2-week vacation in Australia sounds like a perfect way to start your marriage. Have a good trip!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 1:27 AM

Thanks pg. We picked Australia because it's the only continent (well, aside from Antarctica) that neither of us had been to. Should be fun

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 4:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
^The excavation has been happening over there for quite some time.

Yeah, I've posted pics of that. But in mid-September they finished digging and kind of mothballed the job, removing all the heavy equipment. I actually had walked by and asked some of the Webcor workers if they were doing more than excavation and they said, "No"--only the hole.

I read and posted that the Supervisors approved construction of the new building but it wasn't clear WHEN they would start it. So it's nice to know that apparently they will start building soon.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 4:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
Thanks pg. We picked Australia because it's the only continent (well, aside from Antarctica) that neither of us had been to. Should be fun
It's not a continent but I can't imagine going to Australia and just flying over New Zealand. Per square mile, New Zealand has got to be the most beautiful place on earth.

But Australia is big and there's a lot to see in 2 weeks, so maybe you better plan another trip to the Antipodes soon.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
It's not a continent but I can't imagine going to Australia and just flying over New Zealand. Per square mile, New Zealand has got to be the most beautiful place on earth.

But Australia is big and there's a lot to see in 2 weeks, so maybe you better plan another trip to the Antipodes soon.
Yeah, New Zealand's definitely on the list for a future trip. My parents visited some friends down there a couple years ago and never seem to stop talking about it.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 9:57 AM

Gordo - Wish you a very happy & long marriage and a great trip to the Australian continent! Antartica is one continent I definetely do not want to visit. I've been to eastern Australia and enjoyed. They do not talk like Croker Dundee in the big cities! Some interesing architecture to see.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 5:56 PM
BANNED

Could this ( http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MN0H1A8PEI.DTL ) be why nothing seems to be happening at the CCSF Chinatown Campus site?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 3:54 AM
BANNED

This may not be a historic construction project but I think it's great news for the City:

Quote:
Lowe's Has Finalized A Lease And Broken Ground On Bayshore

The tentative lease signed by Lowe's for the old Goodman Lumber Bayshore Boulevard site early this year has been finalized. And construction on the 107,000-square-foot store should start soon has begun with an expected opening as early as August 2010.
Source: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...nd_on_bay.html

Finally San Franciscans doing significant renovation projects don't have to give their business (and sales tax dollars) to a store in the suburbs.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 3:57 AM
BANNED

And the news that matters most to me:

Source: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2009/1...arters.php?o=5

Quote:
525 Golden Gate Avenue "Officially" Breaks Ground

Put on hold in 2008 due to rising costs and lower than expected efficiencies, earlier this year a plugged-in tipster caught the crews laying the foundation for the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission’s new "Ultra-Green" headquarters at 525 Golden Gate Avenue.

Yesterday the ceremonial "ground breaking" took place. Expect an opening early 2012.
Source: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...ks_ground.html

PS: I think that "plugged-in tipster" was moi.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 4:16 AM

Thanks Jerry

BT - Yeah, I'm glad to see the Lowe's break ground too. It's still surprising to me that Home Depot walked away from it after all of the work they did. I expect this location to be an absolute gold mine for Lowe's.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 4:35 AM
BANNED

I recently read Lowe's too is cutting back their expansion plans. I was afraid the SF store might have hit the cutting room floor. But we lucked out.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 2:58 PM
BANNED

YES!!

Quote:
Friday, October 23, 2009
Target could be bull’s-eye for Metreon
Retailer takes aim at San Francisco
San Francisco Business Times - by Sarah Duxbury

Metreon owners Westfield and Forest City have recently pulled back on several preliminary lease deals at the center and are said to be negotiating to lease an entire floor to Target.

“Westfield has gone silent on numerous deals on the second floor to make way for a single tenant,” said Matt Holmes of brokerage Retail West.

Westfield is in the process of a much-anticipated repositioning of the retail center at Fifth and Mission streets, after buying the struggling project in 2006. The new Metreon is a key part of the revitalized Yerba Buena culture district.

If the Metreon lands Target, it would be a coup after planned headliner Tavern on the Green filed Chapter 11 last month. It would also mark a stark departure from their stated reimagining of the Metreon as a food and culture-centric locale dominated by local stores rather than chains.

Holmes said his firm was working with the Museum of Craft + Design to lease space at the Metreon, but was told two weeks ago that Westfield would not sign a lease. The founders of the Pop Art Museum, which had a signed letter of intent to take up to 50,000 square feet of the second floor, said Westfield halted lease discussions in July. And Rhonda Diaz, a broker with Terranomics, said that preliminary negotiations between Westfield and an entertainment client interested in over 25,000 square feet fell apart in recent weeks.

Target interested in San Francisco

Target has had an on-again, off-again quest for a downtown San Francisco store site for several years. A party with direct knowledge of their search confirmed the discussions with the Metreon and said “they are further along than they have been.” But the source cautioned that there is no deal yet. Target said in an email that “at this time, it would be premature to confirm any specific plans.”

Westfield declined comment on the terminated lease discussions, or its negotiations with Target or other prospective tenants.

Rumors of Target’s interest are circulating widely among retailers who have signed up for space at the reworked Metreon, where Westfield plans to break ground on an extensive renovation in January.

“As far as bringing people to the center, of course, it’s hard to beat,” said Thomas Lefort, an owner of Bay Bread, which will open one of its popular Boulanges in the Metreon. “But it’s not what we were told to expect for that space. I’m not sure what I think about it.”

The roughly 70,000-square-foot second floor of the four-story, 360,000-square-foot structure had been designated by Westfield for primarily cultural uses.

“It’s disappointing because Westfield went so over the top, in my opinion, on selling their merchandising plans and a point of differentiation for the Metreon, and what comes out of it is really a big box and an extension of San Francisco Centre,” said Holmes. “We have the mall moving south right now.”

Part of redevelopment area

The Metreon’s land is owned by the San Francisco Redevelopment Agency. Bringing in a big box retailer wasn’t what the agency expected under Westfield’s lease, but it would probably be permissible, said Amy Neches, manager of project area planning and development at the redevelopment agency.

Westfield and Forest City bought the Metreon in 2006, months before they completed their expansion of San Francisco Centre. Metreon had struggled since opening in 1999; only its movie theaters ever succeeded. In 2008, the owners said they would bring in up to 165,000 square feet of new retail, move the main entrance to the middle of Fourth Street and redesign the building to make it more open and customer-friendly. Tavern on the Green would have taken the fourth floor for a 40,000-square-foot restaurant. The redevelopment agency approved those plans in March 2009.

“They talked about how different they were going to be … but at the same time, I understand it,” Holmes said of going with a blue-chip tenant in this economic climate.

Prospective tenants disappointed

Some of the thwarted tenants who thought they had a lock on the Metreon are less sanguine.

John Atanasio and Robert Imber, co-founders of the Pop Art Museum, started looking at the Metreon in February for a museum they conceived as up to 50,000 square feet of gallery space for artists like Warhol, Haring and Rauschenberg, as well as space for up-and-coming contemporary artists, classrooms, interactive studios and a retail store.

The Pop Art Museum got a signed letter of intent just after receiving its nonprofit 501(c)(3) status on May 29, Imber said, but a lease never followed.

Westfield and Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi were critical to obtaining that 501(c)(3) status. Atanasio and Imber said that Westfield wrote two letters to the IRS on the Pop Museum’s behalf, including one dated May 15 that urged the federal agency to grant the museum nonprofit status no later than June 1, “or the museum may lose the opportunity to secure the Museum’s flagship location at Westfield Metreon,” according to a copy of the letter viewed by the Business Times. Westfield also wrote an earlier letter April 8 that said it was working on a lease with the museum.

“The meetings we had, we met their criteria, we fully believed we had the space,” Atanasio said.

In July, Westfield suddenly changed what it said it was looking for, Imber said.

“Things were promised and pretty much at the 12th hour were grossly changed,” Imber said.

sduxbury@bizjournals.com / (415) 288-4963
Source: http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...26/story2.html

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 3:19 PM

^Interesting. That would be a pretty small Target if it's only the full second floor. I guess some type of "mini-Target" concept. I'll take it, but I guess a part of me is still hoping that we get a full-size Target in that potential new development between 5th and 6th on Market.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 7:01 PM
BANNED

According to Socketsite ( http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...al_additi.html ), the new SF General broke ground yesterday:

Completion expected in 2015.

More:

Quote:
S.F. breaks ground on new General Hospital
Heather Knight, John Coté
Friday, October 23, 2009

Less than a year after 84 percent of city voters passed a bond measure authorizing the $887 million to rebuild San Francisco General Hospital, the city's only trauma center, ground was broken on the project Thursday.

Those wielding the fancy gold shovels to mark the occasion included Mayor Gavin Newsom, Public Health Chief Mitch Katz and hospital CEO Sue Currin. The latter addressed a large crowd of hospital staff including rows of doctors in white coats beforehand, saying the 125-year-old institution that was founded to address the city's tuberculosis crisis would be around for decades to come.

"We've been here for AIDS, we've been here for swine flu, and we'll be here for every other crisis," she said, adding she has a unique perspective on the place since she first entered its doors as a trauma patient injured in a mugging. "And now I'm the CEO, and I'm so glad to be here."

But not everybody at the gathering was happy. Dozens of Service Employees International Union Local 1021 members who work at the hospital showed up in their purple shirts handing out information about their recent layoffs and pay cuts. According to their flyers, they want people to call the mayor and supervisors and "tell them you care about patient care at San Francisco General Hospital ... not just new buildings!"

The new, nine-story hospital with 284 acute-care beds will be built amid the hospital's historic red brick buildings along Potrero Avenue. It is expected to open in time for the 2015 deadline set by the state for hospitals to meet seismic requirements.

- Heather Knight
Source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...type=printable

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 10:56 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I knew you'd be excited by that Target news, BT.

Lowes recently opened a store in SSF just off 101. With the location of this new one, it seems they are slowly creeping into the city.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 10:58 PM
BANNED

Creeping? Lowes is building the SF store now. See above (or maybe I'm just not getting what you are saying).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations