HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 7:07 PM

Regular was yesterday $1.41 on Granview Highway Husky. Filled up in anticipation of long weekend.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Sweet time for my weekly fix of gas to Blaine. Love Nexus even if it gets a little busier. Satisfying feeling just driving right by all the people that are too lazy to fill out the online application. A little victory in life.
I also have NEXUS but I would say there is a fair bit of paperwork when first applying. It's also less convenient without Canadian passport and it is often unclear how to get Pre-TSA printed on your tickets when flying. Still worth the money.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Sweet time for my weekly fix of gas to Blaine. Love Nexus even if it gets a little busier. Satisfying feeling just driving right by all the people that are too lazy to fill out the online application. A little victory in life.
Ya this x100. Went down a few weeks ago with advertised 2h waits in the regular line. Was back well into Highway 99. Best $80 spent.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 8:42 PM
D-Class Suburbanite

Quote:
No shit, Sherlock. Unfortunately, my mom is WAY too stubborn to even apply for Nexus. ಠ_ಠ

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Ya this x100. Went down a few weeks ago with advertised 2h waits in the regular line. Was back well into Highway 99. Best $80 spent.
Mine was 63 CAD with the exchange rate. Why was yours 80?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Mine was 63 CAD with the exchange rate. Why was yours 80?
Oops maybe I was thinking of my passport. Even better.

I've been a Nexus member ever since it was a "pilot" program at the airport, maybe 2004 or so. It's great and only gotten better.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 5:17 PM
D-Class Suburbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Oops maybe I was thinking of my passport. Even better.

I've been a Nexus member ever since it was a "pilot" program at the airport, maybe 2004 or so. It's great and only gotten better.
If only my mom can apply for Nexus if she quits acting like a fucking mule.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 6:13 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post

thanks for letting us know

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
If your mom did have nexus she'd be an awesome mule. A drug mule.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 7:41 AM
D-Class Suburbanite

Quote:
If your mom did have nexus she'd be an awesome mule. A drug mule.
Nah. She's more of a "I'm too cheap to apply" mule. She also has an irrational hate for Americans for some reason. She hasn't crossed the border for gas since 2014.

If I have my own car, I would've applied for Nexus, but I'm still living with her until I'm able to get a job to look after myself. (Being a Gen Z millennial sucks, especially with Vancouver's housing train wreck.) She can only afford one vehicle.

Last edited by Firebrand; Sep 1, 2018 at 7:51 AM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 6:57 PM

I get a bit annoyed and depressed when people will bitch about having to wait 4 hours in Emergency, or not being able to find a family doctor, or that their kid doesn't get enough of their teacher's time, and then will blithely cross the border to save literally a few dollars in tax. Or those who bitched about having to pay tolls on the Port Mann or Golden Ears but will spend the equivalent in gas to get a "deal" across the border. Where do people think the money for those services come from? Some magical unicorn?

Even worse is seeing all those cars stream across the border this ling weekend even though the livelihood of their fellow Canadians is literally being threatened by the idiot in the White House. Too many Canadians apparently don't value Canada very highly.

I hope if Canada does end up doing a hard exit out of NAFTA, the CBSA gets strict orders to begin collecting every cent in duty owed from purchases in the USA.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 8:22 PM

Have we done enough venting and ranting or does someone still have some steam left?

I wonder what Alberta's announcement on Thursday may mean for our gas prices. I have a feeling $2 gas is coming quickly our way...

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 10:25 PM

Nothing to do with gas but applies to cross border online shopping, there was an article a couple days ago I was reading that says the states wants Canada to allow $800 US to be duty free limit as that is what they have, Mexico in this last deal bumped theirs to $100, Australia bumped theirs to $1000 and are regretting it apparently. The article said if Canada did agree to $800 USD, 300,000 jobs would be affected in Canada. And they were speculating even if it was raised to $100 it would have a big impact here, they would aim for a cautious $80, it's currently at $20.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Nothing to do with gas but applies to cross border online shopping, there was an article a couple days ago I was reading that says the states wants Canada to allow $800 US to be duty free limit as that is what they have, Mexico in this last deal bumped theirs to $100, Australia bumped theirs to $1000 and are regretting it apparently. The article said if Canada did agree to $800 USD, 300,000 jobs would be affected in Canada. And they were speculating even if it was raised to $100 it would have a big impact here, they would aim for a cautious $80, it's currently at $20.
It's actually zero, but you have to remember there are a ton of goods where duty doesn't apply anyway (Hello NAFTA). I suppose GST/PST could apply on anything they want it to.

https://travel.gc.ca/returning/custo...ons-mini-guide

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 11:35 PM

it's for online shopping, I don't really order anything from online that much these days, I wonder how much of an affect it would have on parcels getting delivered to Blaine

Canadian retailers worry as Trump eyes duty-free threshold increase in NAFTA talks

U.S. administration threshold raised from $20 Cdn to 'value comparable' to its $800 US limit

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...alks-1.4210972

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 12:08 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I get a bit annoyed and depressed when people will bitch about having to wait 4 hours in Emergency, or not being able to find a family doctor, or that their kid doesn't get enough of their teacher's time, and then will blithely cross the border to save literally a few dollars in tax. Or those who bitched about having to pay tolls on the Port Mann or Golden Ears but will spend the equivalent in gas to get a "deal" across the border. Where do people think the money for those services come from? Some magical unicorn?

Even worse is seeing all those cars stream across the border this ling weekend even though the livelihood of their fellow Canadians is literally being threatened by the idiot in the White House. Too many Canadians apparently don't value Canada very highly.

I hope if Canada does end up doing a hard exit out of NAFTA, the CBSA gets strict orders to begin collecting every cent in duty owed from purchases in the USA.

Exactly! It amazes me sometimes how shortsighted some people are.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 12:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
Exactly! It amazes me sometimes how shortsighted some people are.
Given how similar and tightly connected we are it makes sense for us to have an EU style agreement with the USA. If America wasn't blaming Mexico for all its problems I'd have said all 3 of us should have one.

Policing a border as long as the Canada/US border is an effort in futility and those border guard stations have got to cost a lot to maintain.

Given that Marijuana is now legal in many states I think the only worry is Americans bringing guns into Canada.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post

The problem is you can't teach stupid.

My thought as always been if I can only afford something if I cross the border to get it. Then do I really need it. However for online stuff that is not available up here in a store. Then of course buying it online is ok. But crossing the border just to get something cheaper works against all of us as a nation.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I also have NEXUS but I would say there is a fair bit of paperwork when first applying. It's also less convenient without Canadian passport and it is often unclear how to get Pre-TSA printed on your tickets when flying. Still worth the money.
It's automatically printed on paper tickets and the icon appears on e-boarding passes as long as you have provided your 9-digit "known traveler number" at the time of booking or check-in. Though I will say it only seems to apply to flights to/from the US and I've only seen it when flying with US carriers like American.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 9:59 PM

Unhappy

Gouge me, I'm Canadian.

Just filled up at the Fred Meyer last night.

Works out to $0.94/L Can. On the way home I saw $148.9 after I crossed the border.

They way-over charge here because they can!!! Makes me sick!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure