Tupac
Ice Cube
Dr Dre
Snoop Dogg
Notorious BIG
Prince
Madonna
Wu-Tang Clan
Pearl Jam (yeah, there's a sucky one in every generation)
Radiohead
Chemical Brothers

Millennial:

Britney Spears
Christina Aguilera
Limp Bizkit
Nickelback
Sam Smith
Maroon 5
Justin Bieber
Lady Gaga
Katy Perry
Bruno Mars

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 7:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Not sure I agree. Within the U.S. the proportion of younger people who are part of religions like Islam which prohibit alcohol is rather small.

Other demographic shifts may play a role however. Millennials are much less white than older generations, and white people tend to have the highest levels of alcohol consumption.
That's why I said "cultural" too. I wasn't just referring to Islam.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 7:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
We’ll see. Sometimes the futurists get ahead of themselves. Already it seems like the promise of a “paperless office” was the flying car of the 1990s.
I actually work in what is pretty darn close to a paperless office.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 7:21 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Gen X:

Nirvana
Pixies
Sonic Youth
Daft Punk
Guns n Roses
Run DMC
Tupac
Ice Cube
Dr Dre
Snoop Dogg
Notorious BIG
Prince
Madonna
Wu-Tang Clan
Radiohead
Chemical Brothers

Millennial:

Britney Spears
Christina Aguilera
Limp Bizkit
Nickelback
Sam Smith
Maroon 5
Justin Bieber
Lady Gaga
Katy Perry
Bruno Mars
As you can see, one list clearly sucks more than the other

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 8:12 PM

I’m an “old Millennial” and I listened to the stuff on the first list. Minus Chemical Brothers, the Pixies, Sonic Youth, and Guns ‘n Roses, none of which I ever got into. I think Guns ‘n Roses predated many of the others, and I considered Madonna before my time as well. Nor was Run-DMC the same time as Tupac or Biggie. And Britney Spears predated Bruno Mars or Sam Smith by like 15 years, so neither of those lists are really coherent.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 8:22 PM
The City

Quote:
I’m an “old Millennial” and I listened to the stuff on the first list. Minus Chemical Brothers, the Pixies, Sonic Youth, and Guns ‘n Roses, none of which I ever got into. I think Guns ‘n Roses predated many of the others, and I considered Madonna before my time as well..
^ Uhhh yeah...... that's kind of the point. You're a millennial, so you obviously never listened to much of that stuff.

Plus, the range of years that a generation listens to music can EASILY span 15 years. Hell, Gen Xers were more in tune with music than Millennials, so our timespan is probably even longer than yours.

I was listening to Michael Jackson in 1983 and Daft Punk, Wu-Tang Clan, etc in the late 90s. So a 15 year span isn't a big deal.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 9:19 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
^ Uhhh yeah...... that's kind of the point. You're a millennial, so you obviously never listened to much of that stuff.

Plus, the range of years that a generation listens to music can EASILY span 15 years. Hell, Gen Xers were more in tune with music than Millennials, so our timespan is probably even longer than yours.

I was listening to Michael Jackson in 1983 and Daft Punk, Wu-Tang Clan, etc in the late 90s. So a 15 year span isn't a big deal.
I'm an X'er, I never got into Michael Jackson, the Pixies or Sonic Youth either. You're boxing 10023 based on his music taste, not the music he was exposed to. My millennial brother likes G N' R.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 10:02 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Gen X:

Nirvana
Pixies
Sonic Youth
Daft Punk
Guns n Roses
Run DMC
Tupac
Ice Cube
Dr Dre
Snoop Dogg
Notorious BIG
Prince
Madonna
Wu-Tang Clan
Radiohead
Chemical Brothers

Millennial:

Britney Spears
Christina Aguilera
Limp Bizkit
Nickelback
Sam Smith
Maroon 5
Justin Bieber
Lady Gaga
Katy Perry
Bruno Mars
Amen brother!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 10:04 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I'm an X'er, I never got into Michael Jackson, the Pixies or Sonic Youth either. You're boxing 10023 based on his music taste, not the music he was exposed to. My millennial brother likes G N' R.
I can't help it if 10023 is into Ricky Martin

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
van halen defined my entire childhood in the '80s, and being born in '76, i'm on the extreme younger edge of gen X, so there were a shit-ton of Gen X high-schoolers and college kids at the time rocking out to halen.

you can put limp bizkit wherever you want, but it's a horrible band to choose for gen X rock.

peak gen X rock is nirvana, the pixies, U2, beck, pearl jam, soundgarden, red hot chili peppers, smashing pumpkins, jane's addiction, sonic youth, etc.

the crap like limp bizkit that came after the fall of grunge might be rooted in all of that, but it is in no way definitive of anything that i or any of my fellow gen X'ers would describe as "our" music. i literally knew only one lone guy who actually liked limp bizkit at the time, and he was a complete tool.

every generation produces an untold shitload of musical crap, but you don't judge a generation by it's worst, but by it's best, and gen X had A LOT of really fucking good rock.
That’s still not the point of my mentioning Limp Bizkit ( still is exemplary of a type of subculture of Gen X.) It’s not a generational music critique. I’m talking about the douchey fashion and culture generationally around that type of musical reference as a counterpoint to a post that millenials are more douchey than Gen X. Because it doesn’t have to be Limp Bizkit with the fashion of looking like a Huntington Beach white nationalist, circle pit moshing nonsense, or the saggy pants glamorization of prison and homelessness. Even the subculture around Nirvana represented a stylistic whiteboy douchiness typically exemplified by someone like 90s boy Ethan Hawke.

Last edited by ocman; Oct 23, 2018 at 11:49 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Counterpoint:

Cities are places where human beings interact with one another, and human beings will still want to do that. To the extent that “going shopping” is no longer an activity, but rather something people do from their desk at work, or even from their phones while sitting in a bar with friends, that activity will be replaced with other social activities. If online shopping actually saves us time, then this will free up time for things like going out to eat or meeting friends for drinks. The fact that Amazon exists doesn’t mean that people want to spend their weekends sitting at home by themselves.

Perhaps there won’t be enough new cafés, restaurants, bars, and various other things that cannot be substituted online to make up for the loss of durable goods retail space, but this will be offset to some extent. Something has to replace the activity of running errands or spending the day walking around a mall.

And if I had to guess, I would say that small format urban retail does a LOT better in this world that suburban big box stores from the peak of pre-Amazon suburbanisation.
Good points. Humans are social creatures and the rise of online shopping won't change that. What you're talking about might help explain the rise of urban social activities that weren't a thing in previous decades, like escape rooms, axe throwing, board game cafes, ping pong bars, etc.

As for music, am I the only one well out of my 20s who still listens to new music? There's lots of it out there.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 12:21 AM

millennials just tried to destroy american cheese

it was on the news

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 3:10 AM
Never Dell

That's a great thing about today vs. let's say 30 years ago. In 1988 outside of high-end urban places, cheese, coffee, ice cream, wine, beer, and other kinds of food/drink were often crap that we can totally avoid today.

I'm not talking foo foo stuff. A regular six-pack of beer is probably not pee-water anymore. You probably buy at least real cheese.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 3:14 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

what in the fuck? fred durst is like 50. #triggered

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 3:47 AM
BANNED

Millennials came of age in a fiscal fantasy time. They don't understand that money isn't cheap. Once they face the new reality that's coming, they won't be buying $15 IPAs.

What we think is long gone, will return once again.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 5:40 AM
Never Dell

Young adults are reportedly drinking less. Maybe one factor is they're drinking three IPAs at the bar instead of six Budweisers, and spending the same amount.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 6:21 AM

Quote:

But I listed to most of your first list, and none of your second list. So your lists are wrong. The second list is especially ridiculous, because some of those are late 1990s and others are 2010s.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Young adults are reportedly drinking less. Maybe one factor is they're drinking three IPAs at the bar instead of six Budweisers, and spending the same amount.
Maybe those three IPAs have just as much alcohol as six Budweisers, and 10x as much flavor...

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 10:50 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
millennials just tried to destroy american cheese

it was on the news

haha yeah i know what you mean — they hate kraft slices (and bar soap too).

but actually the american dairy association destroyed cheese.

millenials/gen z like the real queso.

i’ll give them that.

btw why is no one talking about gen z? being 21 now they are officially adults.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 11:39 AM

I had to go back and make sure this thread was about empty storefronts in NYC. Anyway you’re forgetting all the shoegazer bands we Gen Xers listened to: My Bloody Valentine, Blur, Lush, etc. I came here to say that we are seeing this happen in Astoria. My neighborhood at Ditmars Blvd and 31st Street has always been bustling but we’re seeing a lot more storefronts near the subway stay vacant and our big, local liquor store is closing up shop. Apparently there’s a Target on the way which I imagine will only drive up rents more.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions