HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 6:34 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
Those aren't panes of glass. They are made of transparent aluminum.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transpa...arent_aluminum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxynitride
Per the pricing mentioned on the Aluminium oxynitride wikipage, one 100x200" panel would cost $36,000,000!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 7:37 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
Perhaps they were trying to copy the new parks under highway overpasses concept only this time with elevated trains.
Concrete overpasses aren't leaky like the very open steel structures that the L sits on.

There aren't really too many good ways to seal off the space underneath, either - when CTA wants to lease the space for parking, they usually just strap a big piece of corrugated fiberglass to the underside. Terribly ugly.

I would support this park if it were re-imagined as a bikeway with a set of bioswales lining it. Nobody lingers along a bike trail, and the bioswales could help process the storm runoff from intersecting streets and the oil/brake dust that drips down from the L. It would be a functional piece of infrastructure, not a place of leisure.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 8:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Per the pricing mentioned on the Aluminium oxynitride wikipage, one 100x200" panel would cost $36,000,000!
it was meant tongue in cheek

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
YES PLEASE.

This needs to happen, if property constructed, maybe with a suspended walk way along the East side of the atrium to get a better view of the shuttle, this would instantly become one of the most fantastic urban locations on earth. Can you imagine the iconic images of the space shuttle exhibit with Chicago's skyline soaring in the background?

This would be a huge boon to the museum campus and create an architectural landmark at the same time. I sure hope they plan on distributing the shuttles evenly across the country and one winds up in Chicago and LA or SF so everyone is a reasonable distance from these national relics.

My only question is where Gensler intends to find 100'x200' sheets of solid glass... Those panes appear to be enormous.
Not going to happen. Biggest you can go based on the ovens that exist is something on the line of 15x15. Not entirely exact on that but it's somewhere around there. Ran into an issue with that on the Rush/Walton lululemon of all buildings. Had to add some mullions here and there versus HPA's original design to make it work.

I'm surprised your only question was about 100' x 200' panes of glass. I'd be more interested in how the hell they're going to support the shuttle.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 9:21 PM

That shuttle concept is awesome, but I doubt it'll happen. Even though Discovery is going to DC, I would not be surprised if New York ended up with one as well.

That only leaves 2, one being the Enterprise that is currently at the Smithsonian. I'll be surprised if KSC doesn't keep Atlantis or Endeavour, so then you are down to one.

I really hope I'm wrong, since that would mean 3 of the 4 would be on the East coast. Yeah yeah population density and all that, but spread the love! Hopefully I'm wrong and they give one to Chicago.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 9:53 PM
THAT Guy

Peerless Candy replacement

Phase 1: 6 units + retail

Should be a nice little modern block with Row 2750 under construction across the street:

Old Posted Mar 18, 2011, 10:07 PM

^ The building in the first rendering is for six units only? So two units per floor? They must be pretty large, no? And is that a pergola on top or some kind of crown detail? Solar panels? It's an okay design, inoffensive and better than what passes for 'average' in most Chicago developments at that scale but still kind of dull. (Any renderings of the other phases?)

I'm really happy Row 2750 finally got underway. Anyone have any photo updates?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 9:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aic4ever View Post
I'm surprised your only question was about 100' x 200' panes of glass. I'd be more interested in how the hell they're going to support the shuttle.
Nowhereman1280 was being sarcastic.

I was very curious about the missing supports myself. Maybe I'm wrong but the render seems plain stupid on a couple of levels: Where are the supports? Is it realistic to heat and cool this enormous space (this is not a 70000-seat domed stadium with zillions in annual revenue) in a location like Chicago? Where is the lighting, anti-fog/condensation for all the glass, fire suppression, and other infrastructure? Why do most visitors have to look at the boring belly of the shuttle? Why is there no way to stand closer to the craft? I wouldn't be surprised if NASA people consider this a slap in the face for giving museum-goers no better view or interaction with the shuttle than you can get on a high-def tv. The shuttle is far more unique an aircraft -- a once in a half-century thing -- than, say, some warplane that was produced by the hundreds. It's almost like Adler isn't really interested in winning the competition because they realize it's way too expensive a project.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 3:49 PM

Well, Chicago does have one of only 2 surviving Stukas hanging from the ceiling at the Museum of Science and Industry. It's a Chicago tradition to have incredibly rare aircraft displayed that way!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 6:18 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
^ The building in the first rendering is for six units only? So two units per floor? They must be pretty large, no?
Seems reasonable for this area, I think. IIRC Row 2750 only has about 10 units total.

I'm sure other people have noticed but the renovation of the first two floors of the Amanda Apartments (Chicago and Rush) is basically complete. Not a sensitive or particularly creative effort from everyone's favorite architects, Haylock Design. The only good piece of news is that the architects mention on their website that the conversion of a former Goldblatt's, 47th & Ashland, into 100 units of senior housing is about to start.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 7:37 PM

Demo is well underway at Fourth Church. It hasn't gotten to the gabled building (forgot its name) immediately next to the church yet, however.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 8:04 PM

At the Amanda Apartments, did the renovation do away with the LeDoux columns at the apartment entrance? I really hope not.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Seems reasonable for this area, I think. IIRC Row 2750 only has about 10 units total.

I'm sure other people have noticed but the renovation of the first two floors of the Amanda Apartments (Chicago and Rush) is basically complete. Not a sensitive or particularly creative effort from everyone's favorite architects, Haylock Design. The only good piece of news is that the architects mention on their website that the conversion of a former Goldblatt's, 47th & Ashland, into 100 units of senior housing is about to start.
I have photos of the renovation. They should had wrapped the granite around the bays, not use EIFS

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 4:07 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWChicago View Post
At the Amanda Apartments, did the renovation do away with the LeDoux columns at the apartment entrance? I really hope not.
Of course yes. The first two floors have been thoroughly stripped and redone in granite with fixtures and details that don't really belong. A retail glass box on the first floor would have been just as respectful and probably more pleasing.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 4:53 PM

Source: me

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 5:36 PM

Does anyone know what happened to X/O? I always thought that would've been such a great project for the south loop. Would have added much needed building density as well as people. Emporis still has it listed as being in the planned stage.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 5:42 PM

Also, there is fencing and equipment around the old Grossinger dealership on wells just north of division. Possibly demolishing the old building to make way for that building condo building nobody liked

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 6:22 PM

Yeah, that's godawful. Like 1987 but worse.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 8:52 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Does anyone know what happened to X/O? I always thought that would've been such a great project for the south loop. Would have added much needed building density as well as people. Emporis still has it listed as being in the planned stage.
IIRC, Kargil defaulted on their loan for the site, and on their bills to Lucien Lagrange. The Cook County Recorder of Deeds says that Kargil filed a continuing financing statement last August, so presumably Kargil still controls the site.

But they're in no position to land construction financing, since they've probably lost all of their presales. Plus, the architect is going out of business, and I'm pretty sure Lagrange never finished the construction documents.

Bottom line: nothing will happen on the site until Kargil starts from scratch.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post

Source: me
I thought this building was landmarked and thus alterations would have had to pass some sort of cursory review process? Obviously not...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development