HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 5:09 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Photos of another place named Greeley, and a statue of Mr Greeley himself

Greeley, Colorado: Everyone's 5th favorite Northern Colorado city, and the location where residents of the far northern Denver suburbs sometimes have to travel for court. It's named for 19th Century statesman Horace Greeley, congressman, reformer, newspaperman, and failed presidential candidate, most famous for popularizing the phrase "go west, young man."

Horace the person was not Greeley the town's founder, but he was instrumental in its founding. Its actual founder was a man named Nathan Meeker, who merely... worked for Horace at Horace's newspaper, the New York Tribune. The Tribune spent years fiercely editorializing for the settlement of the west, and financially backed the project to found Greeley the town.

As far as I can tell, Horace never made it to his namesake town, but he did visit Denver in 1859, then still not much more than a camp, on one of the first stagecoaches there.

When he wasn't stagecoaching around the country drumming up interest to free the slaves and settle the west, Horace lived in New York.

And that brings us to New York's tiny but mighty Greeley Square: It's more of a triangle than a square, but occupies a prominent spot where Broadway crosses 6th Avenue in the heart of Midtown Manhattan. The Empire State Building is a block away. Penn Station is two blocks away. The big Macy's department store is right up the street.

See the little open area in the middle of the picture here? That's Greeley Square:

Image from Google Maps

And here is Mr Greeley himself, proudly covered in pigeon shit:

Shall we zoom out?

Zoom out level 1:

Level 2:

Level 3:

There you have it! I was feeding my daughter a hot dog in the square a couple of days ago, and while waiting for her to finish, thought to myself "Hmmm, would the Colorado forumers enjoy this? Maybe?" If you didn't, well, feel free to request your money back courtesy the New York Tribune.

Last edited by Cirrus; Feb 25, 2024 at 6:14 AM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 12:05 AM

Does it smell like manure? It can't be truly Greeley unless it does.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 1:32 AM

That was a fun post, actually
BTW, how old is your daughter now?

Speaking of "Go west, young man" these lyrics were an embedded part of recent highlights of remembrance for the passing of Toby Keith with one of the best ever Country songs.
I might of had a sidekick with a funny name
Runnin' wild through the hills chasin' Jesse James
Ending up on the brink of danger
Ridin' shotgun for the Texas Rangers
Go west young man, haven't you been told?
California's full of whiskey, women and gold
Sleepin' out all night beneath the desert stars
With a dream in my eye and a prayer in my heart

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 3:43 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
Does it smell like manure? It can't be truly Greeley unless it does.
Manure? No, not manure. But I tell you what, I keep a google doc with funny things my daughter says, and here's a relevant entry:

"If you do not have a nose then New York is a great city!"

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West