HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Would you like to separate this thread for individual station projects?
Yes 19 31.15%
No 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 6:33 PM

I don't think it's Main St. as it doesn't have provision for the staircase on the east side of Main Street.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 6:27 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Broadway Station Upgrades
Significant upgrades to Broadway Station are scheduled to begin this fall and carry on until the end of 2009. The upgrades are needed to increase the station's passenger capacity, improve accessibility and provide for increased long term transit system ridership.

The Broadway/Commercial station complex plays a central role in the regional transportation network with an estimated 140,000 boardings (ons) and alightings (offs) per day. The station complex experiences extreme congestion at times, and TransLink anticipates that passenger volumes will double over the next decade.

The Broadway Station Phase One upgrade includes:

Relocated elevator to relieve congestion at the north end of the platform
New 10th Avenue entrance including, new stairs, escalator, elevator and expanded concourse area to improve access, convenience and aesthetics
Replacement of existing metal mesh screens at the street level with glass in order to improve security and interior station environment
Phase Two of the project will focus on major capacity improvements to the Broadway/Commercial hub and is currently in the initial planning stages. A construction schedule will be posted once it is available.
Source: TransLink

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 11:51 PM

Ethical Bean is going in Granville where the former flower shop was.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 12:22 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm4 View Post
Ethical Bean is going in Granville where the former flower shop was.
So that`s where they are opening it... i was wondering where since they had granville as the future location on their website

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 12:27 AM

I was entering Broadway Station at about 2:30 today and there was a sizeable group of middle aged men in hard hats, carrying clipboards and surveying the site. Looked like some kind of site orientation for engineers. Good to see things moving forward.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 1:33 AM

What is happening at Patterson station? It seems like some rather large renos but i thought the renos were going to coincide with the station extending? They should make the platform extensions, turn-style system and any other renos just one project.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 2:17 AM
Vancouver Moderator

It's been mentioned at the General Discussion thread, they are painting the station silver.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 2:52 AM

Here's some 3D mockups of the Broadway station redesign. They were posted on the SkyTrain unconference blog

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 4:43 AM

^ neat, thanks....the relocation of the elevator will do wonders.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 6:20 AM
senior something

So if I understand correctly, there will eventually be two upgrades to Broadway station? This first one, and then the second "double the capacity on the Expo Line" (presumably including some manner of platform lengthening) one?

I'm not the guy from Subway.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 6:20 AM

^ Do the renovations include the platform extension?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 6:25 AM
senior something

If you mean this first batch:

based on the last two renders, I see no evidence of any extentions, either Northwards or Southwards.

If you mean for the second set:

I assume they would need to in order to double the capacity. Of course, its still not clear whether they mean double our current capacity, or whether they mean to double the theoretical maximum capacity.

There's also the issue of the Millenium Line trains that go from Waterfront to VCC (and eventually UBC); even if you have 120m platforms along Vancouver to Columbia, these trains can still be no longer than 80m, since they have to fit into the Columbia to VCC stations as well.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 6:27 AM

This is what i was trying to ask. It seems like a big waste of money to do 2 or 3 sets of renovations in a short period of time, the current renovation renders, the platform extensions and the turn-style installment. Would it not make more sense to do all 3 at the same time? I find the situation a little confusing.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
This is what i was trying to ask. It seems like a big waste of money to do 2 or 3 sets of renovations in a short period of time, the current renovation renders, the platform extensions and the turn-style installment. Would it not make more sense to do all 3 at the same time? I find the situation a little confusing.
Well considering that the province did absolutely no consultation with TransLink and simply told them "you are going to install turnstiles and extend the platforms" during the media blitz, it's no surprise that this is the first of a series of renos. Frankly, it's takes a hell of a long time to move from concept to planning to consultation to financing to design to construction, so actually, would you rather have an improved Broadway station now, or wait 10 more years until a huge retrofit is done?

There's a reason TransLink is waging an anti-turnstiles war with the province through the media. It's because the province hasn't coughed up the dough to make it happen, no planning has actually ever been done to calculate the extent and cost of renovations required to the Expo Line stations to install turnstiles, and TransLink would rather spend the money elsewhere anyways.

Platform extensions are a similar issue. There's been no money or planning. I know TransLink realizes, at some point, they will no longer be able to increase frequencies and will have to look at three trains, but this was believed to not be needed till at least 2020, and even then only at the busiest of stations.

Take everything the province promises with a huge grain of salt. Hell, they could be removed from office and all the plans could be flushed down the toilet.

/rant

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 7:23 PM

Thank you, i understand the situation better now. I still believe its a big waste of money not to do as much as possible at once. A more bilateral concrete plan i still wish was in place.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 10:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Well considering that the province did absolutely no consultation with TransLink and simply told them "you are going to install turnstiles and extend the platforms" during the media blitz, it's no surprise that this is the first of a series of renos. Frankly, it's takes a hell of a long time to move from concept to planning to consultation to financing to design to construction, so actually, would you rather have an improved Broadway station now, or wait 10 more years until a huge retrofit is done?

There's a reason TransLink is waging an anti-turnstiles war with the province through the media. It's because the province hasn't coughed up the dough to make it happen, no planning has actually ever been done to calculate the extent and cost of renovations required to the Expo Line stations to install turnstiles, and TransLink would rather spend the money elsewhere anyways.

Platform extensions are a similar issue. There's been no money or planning. I know TransLink realizes, at some point, they will no longer be able to increase frequencies and will have to look at three trains, but this was believed to not be needed till at least 2020, and even then only at the busiest of stations.

Take everything the province promises with a huge grain of salt. Hell, they could be removed from office and all the plans could be flushed down the toilet.

/rant
its called an election ploy

Old Posted Oct 2, 2008, 8:53 PM

So, turns out Patterson is going green, not silver as we previously thought. The silver was a primer for that dark green that is at 29th Ave. The painter also told me that there are plans underway to completely close Main St stations for almost four months during the renos there. Wonder if there's any truth to that...

Old Posted Oct 3, 2008, 4:33 AM
Vancouver Moderator

darn!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2008, 8:34 PM

Smile

I would be very surprised if thy were going to close Main Street station for 4 months during the renovations because that is one of the busier stations and they are doing the same renos to Broadway Station and I would imagine that closing Broadway Station is not an option. Broadway is the busiest transit hub in the system.

Does any one know when the renovations on Broadway Station start?

Last edited by Gordon; Oct 4, 2008 at 8:50 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2008, 11:56 PM
senior something

Quote:
The painter also told me that there are plans underway to completely close Main St stations for almost four months during the renos there. Wonder if there's any truth to that...

Was the painter wearing an orange vest?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure