HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 4:26 AM

Some interesting commentary on the proposed motel and pool development by the Residents of the Exchange District (RED) blog:

http://red.memberlodge.org/Blog?mode...iew&bmi=892060

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 7:38 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
wow... this should kill it right? please?
If it doesnt, I'm screaming blue murder. No, seriously, I'll even write to Mr. Mallin in support of this! ANYTHING to kill Canaltas shitsty.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 10:52 AM

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
World-class water park sooner, or later?

By: Benjamin Gillies

"What do Winnipeggers want their city to be? Are they willing to put in the time and effort required to become an appealing destination for potential tourists, or are they content with a more insular focus in development?

These are pertinent questions as city councilors debate whether to allow the construction of a water park (and hotel) on a prime piece of land near The Forks.

The reality is that Winnipeg likely gets one shot at building this type of aquatic amenity, and the design on the table will, at best, make for a "local" attraction.

At 50,000 square feet, the proposed indoor water park will not even crack the list of the 30 largest in North America. It will be comparable to facilities such as North Dakota's 40,000-square foot, four-slide Splasher's of the South Seas, not Edmonton's 217,000-square foot, 23-slide World Waterpark or Niagara Falls' 125,000-square foot, 16-slide Fallsview Indoor Waterpark -- the two biggest in Canada."

[...]

Full article: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...148056295.html

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 11:44 AM

https://www.facebook.com/WpgWaterPark

This is a facebook page for those who don't support the proposal downtown. In today's age things can go viral and disruption can easily be caused by simply claiming that you like something. So please take three seconds and click like.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 2:07 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
https://www.facebook.com/WpgWaterPark

This is a facebook page for those who don't support the proposal downtown. In today's age things can go viral and disruption can easily be caused by simply claiming that you like something. So please take three seconds and click like.
Three seconds to like? I'm taking my sweet molasses time to reply well

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
Paula Havixbeck (city councillor - Charleswood) was on CJOB during the 9am newscast. (Check the Audio Vault) There was talk about having more than 1 waterpark, and more proposals could be coming down the pipe.
Yep,

http://metronews.ca/news/winnipeg/10...-gets-epc-nod/

Global Winnipeg is reporting a second waterpark and hotel complex is in the works in south Winnipeg – while a first is still winding its way through city council.

Quoting anonymous sources, Global Winnipeg said the hotel and waterpark complex will be built during the second phase of the Seasons of Tuxedo retail development starting in 2014. It’s the same development that is seeing an IKEA, Cabela’s and Lowe’s store being built.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 4:31 PM

^ and that is where a water park should be built, not on prime downtown land across the Human Rights Museum that would be better served as adding housing units or a future RT area or a market or something that both increases and draws pedestrian traffic while adding to the urban quality of downtown. I don't see how a water park, especially one by Canalta, would be adding to the urban quality of downtown

The best thing I can see coming out of this, is at least that parking lot gets some development on it. I just wish it was something that would actually add to the urban fabric of downtown.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 7:06 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
^ and that is where a water park should be built, not on prime downtown land across the Human Rights Museum that would be better served as adding housing units or a future RT area or a market or something that both increases and draws pedestrian traffic while adding to the urban quality of downtown. I don't see how a water park, especially one by Canalta, would be adding to the urban quality of downtown

The best thing I can see coming out of this, is at least that parking lot gets some development on it. I just wish it was something that would actually add to the urban fabric of downtown.
I'd rather have the water park at Seasons than CMHR. And if "White Ridge" doesn't like lower-class kids and apartment dwellers so close to them, they can kiss my ass.

And agreed. Rather have an actual contribution to the Forks than this:

One slide, big fucking whoop. Try fitting 1,000 screaming, running kids into that space with their parents...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 8:12 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Exactly! Build a WORLD CLASS waterpark at Seasons of Tuxedo with the calibre of WEM Waterpark facility, not at The Forks. Mixed used development should be on that prime land instead, with housing units, small businesses, and the like. Not some crappy-ass kiddy pool with a plastic slide going into it.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 2:40 AM

When this World Class Water Park gets built, what do you say, we see if we can Launch Sammy-Boy off the water slide and let him land in the ballpark across the street. Then, we'll really find out 'WHO'S ON FIRST'!

And then Wyatt will go next.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 12:47 PM

It is interesting that though Katz has been searching high and low for a tenant for this water park deal, there is one that seems to have slipped right under his fingers and is deciding to build one at an appropriate location.

I would bet anything Katz had talks with this group, and because they would only build at the SOT sight Katz would not provide the grant to them. I hope this whole thing comes back to bite him in the buttocks.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 1:31 PM

Hi Chris

Thank you for your feedback and comments. I am writing to let you know that yesterday John went in front of EPC and asked for the $7 Million in public funding allocated to the project to be reallocated.

From Councillor Orlikow's Web site www.orlikow.ca

"April 18, 2012, Councillor Orlikow today asked the Executive Policy Committee to rescind the $7 million in public funding from the Water Park proposal and allocate those dollars equally between Wards to enhance recreational opportunities." ... for more information go to... http://www.orlikow.ca/news/view/?nid=222

I hope this information is helpful, and thank you once again for your feedback. Please feel free to call/ write if you have questions or comments.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 3:02 PM

Have any further details about the proposal for Seasons of Tuxedo been leaked / released? I'm guessing that this was quietly being worked on between the developers and potential hoteliers (since their master plan for the site did include at least one hotel). However, since shammy and co. found a suitor in Canalta Motels for their handout, the whole issue made the news, and now the Seasons project is coming out into the daylight before it was meant to.

I hope its big; at least 100,000sq/ft or more. If it is, it will definitely attract a far larger share of the population... not to mention the 'regional shopping traffic' expected at 'seasons.'

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 3:49 PM

Wouldn't the City of Winnipeg need to give special approval to permit the building of a large, public waterpark like the one being discussed for Seasons of Tuxedo? Just been thinking that it is not likely that anyone could just build what is a fancy version of a huge public pool without needing some special permits to ensure it complied with a long list than normal of codes. Also, if that is the case it would seem likely that the politicians knew that there would be a second waterpark proposal coming forward using all private money...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 4:03 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Have any further details about the proposal for Seasons of Tuxedo been leaked / released? I'm guessing that this was quietly being worked on between the developers and potential hoteliers (since their master plan for the site did include at least one hotel). However, since shammy and co. found a suitor in Canalta Motels for their handout, the whole issue made the news, and now the Seasons project is coming out into the daylight before it was meant to
I hope that it's going to actually be attractive! And well-covered transit wise since I'm not going to walk through a bunch of industrial land to get to it...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Wouldn't the City of Winnipeg need to give special approval to permit the building of a large, public waterpark like the one being discussed for Seasons of Tuxedo? Just been thinking that it is not likely that anyone could just build what is a fancy version of a huge public pool without needing some special permits to ensure it complied with a long list than normal of codes. Also, if that is the case it would seem likely that the politicians knew that there would be a second waterpark proposal coming forward using all private money...
Yeah, its an interesting situation. Maybe the 'seasons' proposal was going to blow the 'motel' proposal out of the water, and they were racing to get the 'motel' approved, due to said "collaborative" efforts among the players.
Or maybe we're getting two: one for the Forks (avec the low-income access coupons), and one for suburbia (no freebies).
If thats the case, boy does that smell two-tiered...

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 6:57 PM

Does anyone know who on council is for/against the waterpark proposal?

I know that Mike Pagtakhan, Jenny Gerbasi, and John Orlikow are against. Any known others?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 9:37 PM

Yes there is another proposal in the works coming forward soon if everything works out. This proposal will be very different from all earlier ones. It is not the one announced on Global or the one at forks.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 11:01 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ9000 View Post
Yes there is another proposal in the works coming forward soon if everything works out. This proposal will be very different from all earlier ones. It is not the one announced on Global or the one at forks.
And your proof is where? 1st post on SSP, so I gotta ask this.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
And your proof is where? 1st post on SSP, so I gotta ask this.
Understandable.

However, I am not sure what kind of proof you would be looking for or I could provide that would satisfy you.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan