HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 8:26 PM

I like this concept as well, but can you imagine a bunch of non-car people pulling their paid for junkers in, and them being on display in the windows. I like how all the cars are nice newer models, except for that yellow taxi looking car.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 12:07 AM

I imagine most of the people renting here aren't going to be driving junkers.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 12:11 AM
Semi-Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykendo View Post
I like this concept as well, but can you imagine a bunch of non-car people pulling their paid for junkers in, and them being on display in the windows.
I'm not sure if you meant it that way, but that came off as being extremely snooty. (When I read it, I hear it in Mr Howell's voice )

Regardless I don't think that concern has much merit. Given the scale and location of this building I am sure they will be targeting the higher end of the rental market. Tenants of that caliber tend to to have fairly well maintained vehicles.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 12:15 AM
Karma Police

Not to mention, that would be extremely expensive parking to store a junker.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 6:15 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Well, just based on this rendering, the only one that shows the alleyway in any detail, they clearly are proposing a seating area with extensive landscaping and hardscaping. Also, there are window walls on both sides that look like they open directly into the buildings. There don't appear to be any hiding places for addicts to be shooting up when there are that many windows facing the alley. It actually looks more like a courtyard connecting the buildings than a back alley.
That actually looks pretty nice (although you don't see it extending 19 floors above you either), but the devil will be in how the space is programmed... will it have any restaurants open onto it? The proof will be in the pudding!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 6:16 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I imagine most of the people renting here aren't going to be driving junkers.
Well, this is Portland. You might end up seeing a bunch of mid-2000-ish Subaru Outbacks, with varying degrees of dirt on them.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
Well, this is Portland. You might end up seeing a bunch of mid-2000-ish Subaru Outbacks, with varying degrees of dirt on them.
It will probably cost between $150 - 200 a month to park in the building based on the costs I've seen in other rental buildings in Portland. Despite the high rents and high cost to park a car you're probably right the cars will be typical Portland cars. This isn't a flashy car city. It will probably be filled with Subarus, VW Golfs, Prius, Mini Coopers and maybe an entry level luxury car here and there. I don't know why they put Aston Martins in the rendering. That's not a car you see often in the Pacific Northwest.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
The alley way is a bit awkward, I am guessing no one would actually use it. It will mostly be dead space that people might occasionally move through or maybe stop to smoke a cigarette.
If this alley has seating, it'll get plenty of use. I used to work in the Eastside Exchange. It was extremely frustrating that there was no place to sit outside and eat your lunch. Seriously, there are no chairs, benches, or ledges anywherearound there. People sit on the edge of the exchange loading dock or on the Couch stairway for lack of better options.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 8:21 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abide View Post
If this alley has seating, it'll get plenty of use. I used to work in the Eastside Exchange. It was extremely frustrating that there was no place to sit outside and eat your lunch. Seriously, there are no chairs, benches, or ledges anywherearound there. People sit on the edge of the exchange loading dock or on the Couch stairway for lack of better options.
That is the thing, looking at the plans for this, it doesn't look like it will be much in the way of seating beyond the ledges that will be created for the walkway.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 10:18 AM
Karma Police

The entire second floor (L2 on the plans) is shown as retail/commercial space. Level 2 is the floor that opens directly onto the alley. Also, likewise, the Slate plans are showing commercial spaces opening directly onto the alley. It would be difficult to imagine that there wouldn't be a lot of activity here. The ledges and planter walls and steps are all great places for people to sit and eat, read, meet up with friends, whatever. And tables and chairs may not be shown on the plans, but they are on the renderings (at least the one rendering) and can easily be set up at any time. It would be a safe bet that some of that retail/commercial space would be selling coffee, breakfast, lunch and/or dinner.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 5:39 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
The entire second floor (L2 on the plans) is shown as retail/commercial space. Level 2 is the floor that opens directly onto the alley. Also, likewise, the Slate plans are showing commercial spaces opening directly onto the alley. It would be difficult to imagine that there wouldn't be a lot of activity here. The ledges and planter walls and steps are all great places for people to sit and eat, read, meet up with friends, whatever. And tables and chairs may not be shown on the plans, but they are on the renderings (at least the one rendering) and can easily be set up at any time. It would be a safe bet that some of that retail/commercial space would be selling coffee, breakfast, lunch and/or dinner.
Maybe it will get lots of use and be packed full of people like the Ankeny Alley, but in architecture school everyone would have questioned the use this space would get because it looks like it will be a fairly dark and narrow passageway between buildings.

But who knows, maybe you will be right and this alley will be different.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 6:58 PM

I guess I was just having fun the "Don't laugh, it's paid for" crowd, that usually is doing well financially, but new cars aren't their concern. But i'm sure the less "earthy", more cosmopolitan crowd will be looking to live here. I sure would like to.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 7:01 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykendo View Post
I guess I was just having fun the "Don't laugh, it's paid for" crowd, that usually is doing well financially, but new cars aren't their concern. But i'm sure the less "earthy", more cosmopolitan crowd will be looking to live here. I sure would like to.
The layout for the units actually look pretty nice, if this were even in my price range and I was looking for urban living in an apartment, this building would definitely be a top choice for me.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 2:09 AM

Quote:
The next Burnside Bridgehead tower promises 18 ultra-modern stories (Renderings)

With everything going on and up at the Burnside Bridgehead, it might be hard to imagine that there's enough room for another towering apartment building to rise up. But there is.

Beam Development and Urban Development + Partners have teamed up for an 18- to 20-story apartment building as phase II of Block 75, which is located at the corner of Northeast Davis and Third. The building will sit next to phase I of the block, a 10-story mixed-use building from Beam and UDP called Slate.

Eric Cress, principal with UDP, said the new residential building will have between 104 and 106 units and ground-floor retail space.

"It will be a beautiful, high-quality building," he said.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 2:55 AM

I'm still digging this one. I'm really excited to see this neighborhood keep growing.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 4:23 AM

"Yard", "Slate"... have definite articles become too expensive?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 5:54 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
"Yard", "Slate"... have definite articles become too expensive?
When the whole Burnside Bridgehead is complete, I would if we will be able to string all the building names together to create a sentence....

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 9:00 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
When the whole Burnside Bridgehead is complete, I would if we will be able to string all the building names together to create a sentence....
Then we need some buildings that are named definite articles. You've reached the pinnacle of cool when your building is named "The".

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 1:45 AM

Somewhat delayed Summary Memo [PDF]

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 6:38 PM
BANNED

What's the latest on this building? Seems like it's taking forever for the ball to be rolling...

Last edited by innovativethinking; Sep 22, 2016 at 7:37 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland