HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 8:25 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Tower View Post
Went on a tour earlier today. Mostly just got photos, didn't get a chance to ask about the height thing. Next time, fellas.

https://austin.towers.net/inside-the...s-eastern-edge
Nice. Man, I wish I could get in on some of those high rise tours. It's been a while since I've done one. I guess the last one would have been the JW Marriott.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 11:59 PM

Here's a short but sweet drone video.

Video Link

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 2:19 AM

Bisnow points out that we will be having a 4 year lull in new downtown condos after 70 Rainey and the other U/C towers open:

https://www.bisnow.com/austin-san-an...til-2022-85871

From the article:
Quote:
Austin is expected to deliver 800 condominium units in the next year, and then pause for at least four years before another project comes to market. Four downtown condo projects — The Independent, Proper Hotel & Residences, Fifth & West and 70 Rainey St. — will come to market at the same time around the end of 2018, each with its own marketing sweet spot.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 3:52 PM

From Sunday.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 1:36 AM

Today.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 3:28 AM

According to KXAN news tonight, the storm blown debris injuring the woman and causing the mess on Rainey St. last night were construction materials blown off 70 Rainey.

This photo and the article link below it are from a KXAN article this morning.

http://www.kxan.com/news/local/austi...rea/1121293129

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 4:00 AM
Meh

That storm was wild last night. I babysat my niece and nephews at my brother's house, and just as we were getting ready to leave, the lightning started. At that point, there were just a few flashes. They have a really good view off to the southwest from up on a hill. We stood on the front porch talking for a few minutes, then went back inside before leaving. My brother wanted to show me something in the neighborhood, so we drove around a bit and the views from their neighborhood are pretty good with the elevation changes. The lightning by then was pretty crazy with a lot of strikes around. By the time we got to the end of the block, it was pouring down rain and the pellet sized hail started. We ended up waiting it out before leaving for good. That was around 11 pm. We didn't get a drop of rain at our house in South Austin. My bedroom window faces east, and I could still see the lightning from those storms even as the leading edge of the storm moved into Houston. 80 to 100 miles away, and I could still see the lightning.

Anyway, 70 Rainey is starting to show up from around my neck of the woods. Anyone know what floor they're on?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 3:43 PM

Shame on the GC for not securing everything prior to the storm. Completely unacceptable and could have easily compromised someones life

Old Posted Apr 15, 2018, 8:17 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
That storm was wild last night. I babysat my niece and nephews at my brother's house, and just as we were getting ready to leave, the lightning started. At that point, there were just a few flashes. They have a really good view off to the southwest from up on a hill. We stood on the front porch talking for a few minutes, then went back inside before leaving. My brother wanted to show me something in the neighborhood, so we drove around a bit and the views from their neighborhood are pretty good with the elevation changes. The lightning by then was pretty crazy with a lot of strikes around. By the time we got to the end of the block, it was pouring down rain and the pellet sized hail started. We ended up waiting it out before leaving for good. That was around 11 pm. We didn't get a drop of rain at our house in South Austin. My bedroom window faces east, and I could still see the lightning from those storms even as the leading edge of the storm moved into Houston. 80 to 100 miles away, and I could still see the lightning.

Anyway, 70 Rainey is starting to show up from around my neck of the woods. Anyone know what floor they're on?
I was so pissed that we missed out on the rain. I'm a weather geek, originally was going to college to become a meteorologist but things changed and I decided to pursue another field.

There was a bit of energy riding up the back side of the line which developed over Austin but became solid and expanded east of 35. There were multiple lighting strikes across the Austin area past 2 a.m. when the main line of storms was well to the east. Usually a large linear complex of storms has a deck of stratoform rain behind the storms but in this case there was little to no rain due to the extremely dry air once the cold front moved through. Add in just enough energy that moved up from the southwest and we had a fairly rare event for this area with dry or semi dry lighting occuring.

Regarding 70 Rainey, I'm loving the color of the glass, it's different than what we have been seeing. The facade is going to look striking compared to the surrounding buildings. It could end up being one of my favorites in terms of window color once it's complete.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Anyone know what floor they're on?
While stuck in traffic today I counted 20 floors above the tall amenities level. But I could be off by about 1. The cranes was also raised this weekend. It's taller than the Fairmont when driving in from the South.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 1:14 AM

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 1:51 AM
クラブトクヨ

Great shots!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 6:19 AM
Meh

Nice! That's the first photo I've seen of the Independent from the UT Tower where its poking above the Dobie Center.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 11:18 PM

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 2:07 AM

How many more floors we have left?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
How many more floors we have left?
It was 5 according to 70 Rainey when this photo was added to their Facebook page 4 days ago.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 2:48 PM

This one is supposed to have a big "green wall" on that face of the parking podium, correct?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
This one is supposed to have a big "green wall" on that face of the parking podium, correct?
According to renderings, yes.

As cool as it is, it really dominates Rainey Street. Up against those single story craftsmans, it's just a hulking beast. Of course, now that the Homewood Suites is almost open, Rainey's starting to really look like the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Can't imagine what it'll be like as it continues to densify up and down East.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 5:50 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
According to renderings, yes.

As cool as it is, it really dominates Rainey Street. Up against those single story craftsmans, it's just a hulking beast. Of course, now that the Homewood Suites is almost open, Rainey's starting to really look like the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Can't imagine what it'll be like as it continues to densify up and down East.

It looks pretty cool when your on S bound 35 because of its location, it looks like it's rising from the center of Rainey Street, which it is since it fronts it. Just waiting to see what happens with the proposals further down and Rainey will truely have a stand alone skyline.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 2:53 AM
lurker

I wish this building was about 10 stories taller. it deserves to be.

The future will be here, tomorrow

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin