HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 2:34 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Just another thing for morons that have no better things to do with their lives other than to b**** & complain. They don't care about San Antonio's future they only care about themselves.
They're not morons. They're people who live in a neighborhood (possibly their families have lived there for generations) and they're worried about sudden changes including heavier traffic, rising rents, an endless sea of hipsters, etc. They probably do care about San Antonio's future, but not tall buildings. Remember, this forum is a place we've all sought out specifically because we are the minority of people with a passion for tall buildings. Most people don't care about them in the least. I respect these people along with their justifiable fears for their community. I also happen to like tall buildings. I hope there is a happy conclusion for all without any name calling. If anyone does go to the meeting and decides to speak, please be respectful of the people who live in the community. Otherwise they'll push back harder.

Hipsters:

https://www.singledudetravel.com/wp-...hipsters11.jpg

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 4:35 PM

I lost control there and was immature. You are right. There are people living there with real concerns and they deserve to be heard. I just get frustrated with some of the people that live here. They hate everything that gets proposed and shoot it down. I shouldn’t act like them. For that I’m sorry.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 11:50 PM

I wonder who put up that poster. How do they even know what is being planned? It says they are planning to put up MULTIPLE buildings of AT LEAST ten floors? And there’s been nothing publicly put out yet?

I don’t quite understand how someone could even find out about that unless they’re somehow on the inside.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 12:08 AM

That poster is classic agitprop designed to alarm, trumpeting a worst-case scenario for the zoning request and asking very leading questions. If I was a resident of that neighborhood I would be offended by the blatant attempt at manipulation.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 12:41 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
I lost control there and was immature. You are right. There are people living there with real concerns and they deserve to be heard. I just get frustrated with some of the people that live here. They hate everything that gets proposed and shoot it down. I shouldn’t act like them. For that I’m sorry.
(like button)

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Just another thing for morons that have no better things to do with their lives other than to b**** & complain. They don't care about San Antonio's future they only care about themselves.
Its a fairly urban site but MF-65 would probably be a little more appropriate. 10 stories for one or two buildings near San Pedro Creek maybe...to get some open space in the site but 400-500 units would be plenty.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 5:52 AM
SA 24th largest city

Horrid Brown Poles

Our beloved city is being overrun! Notice the telecoms and CPS ugliness increasingly smothering the streets. No one seems to notice. No burying of lines anywhere. I know it costs more, but at what cost? We will never be considered world class. Even with all the center city boom, they still elect to add additional poles. Even doubling and decreasing space between. They are like fences that cover and diminish the streetscape. To see all this change, note that the darker brown poles are all the new ones. Why don't the developers renderings of these new, beautiful projects not show these poles- because they are ugly![IMG]IMG_5194 by marcus garza, on Flickr[/IMG][IMG]1024x1024-1 copy by marcus garza, on Flickr[/IMG][IMG][IMG]IMG_5192 by marcus garza, on Flickr[/IMG]IMG_5195 by marcus garza, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxus View Post
Our beloved city is being overrun! Notice the telecoms and CPS ugliness increasingly smothering the streets. No one seems to notice. No burying of lines anywhere. I know it costs more, but at what cost? We will never be considered world class.

No one really considers San Antonio to be world class. But I'm with you on the power lines. Apart from being ugly and imposing, they also end up forcing the trees to be mangled into ugly forms to avoid interfering with them.

That being said, some places are indeed burying them. For example, I'm thinking of the DoSeum, which buried all their lines on Broadway, and now there's a beautiful row of bald cypresses lining the street. Here's a before/after:

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 8:16 AM

By the way, The Thompson/Arts is going to bury the power lines along Lexington.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
By the way, The Thompson/Arts is going to bury the power lines along Lexington.
How do you know?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
How do you know?
I asked.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 10:42 AM

I consider SA to be world class

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 1:34 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
I asked.
(like button)

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 7:08 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Current urban core crane count: 7

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 8:05 PM

Totally agree!
I hate powerlines, as a photographer I'm always taking them out of pictures.
I also think the air pollution they cause can add additional stress that you don't realize you have. Every time I drive down Basse near the Quarry seems so nice and then I realized, no power lines. It feels relaxing on the brain.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 8:56 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Current urban core crane count: 7
Soon to be a couple more if all goes to plan.

https://media.giphy.com/media/5nFShZWwq3fdm/giphy.gif

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxus View Post
Our beloved city is being overrun! Notice the telecoms and CPS ugliness increasingly smothering the streets. No one seems to notice. No burying of lines anywhere. I know it costs more, but at what cost? We will never be considered world class. Even with all the center city boom, they still elect to add additional poles. Even doubling and decreasing space between. They are like fences that cover and diminish the streetscape. To see all this change, note that the darker brown poles are all the new ones. Why don't the developers renderings of these new, beautiful projects not show these poles- because they are ugly![IMG]IMG_5194 by marcus garza, on Flickr[/IMG][IMG]1024x1024-1 copy by marcus garza, on Flickr[/IMG][IMG][IMG]IMG_5192 by marcus garza, on Flickr[/IMG]IMG_5195 by marcus garza, on Flickr[/IMG]
It is kind of odd why they need 13 or 14 on a single block.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime View Post
I consider SA to be world class

HERE! HERE! I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!
SAN ANTONIO: A WORLD CLASS "UNIQUE" CITY

AND I'M SURE THERE ARE MORE THAN TWO PEOPLE WHO THINK THIS WAY !!!

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
HERE! HERE! I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!
SAN ANTONIO: A WORLD CLASS "UNIQUE" CITY

AND I'M SURE THERE ARE MORE THAN TWO PEOPLE WHO THINK THIS WAY !!!
How do you define world class? Because sa really doesn't have any amenities that establish a city as world class (restaurants, hotels, residential living, etc.). I guess in spirit, maybe? Kind of like that spirit you see at a high school prep rally.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboakland View Post
It is kind of odd why they need 13 or 14 on a single block.
The sad part is the whole area is new, and if they wanted to burry those power lines, it would cost a significant amount - all the sidewalk, the trees, much of the area would have to be replaced. I am thankful as I rest on my balcony to be surrounded by trees on an elevated area. I see two balconies in the picture and I for one would never want to be next to those powerlines. It looks incredibly dangerous. I like to watch storms come in, so that would not be possible on those balconies ⚡️

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio