HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Gateway Center South Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 6:36 PM

Thumbs up SILK CITY | Mubarak Tower | 3,283 FT / 1,001 M | Approved

By Adam Hadhazy
Published on: January 21, 2010
This mammoth structure will rise to exactly 3284 feet, or 1001 meters. The height, in meters, is an allusion to the classic collection of Middle Eastern and South Asian folk tales One Thousand and One Arabian Nights, says London-based architect Eric Kuhne, whose firm designed the tower. To break the kilometer-high mark (which is 3281 feet), the $7 billion–plus Mubarak al Kabir will have three interlocked towers that support the overall structure. These towers, or "blades," pinwheel about a triangular central shaft that holds elevators and mechanical equipment. Each blade twists 45 degrees as it rises, for strength, and expands slightly at the top. This Kuwaiti landmark will therefore place more mass and usable space near its zenith compared to other towers, says Kuhne, to avoid the structure having too thin and flexible a tip. To dissipate high-altitude, tower-buffeting gales that could blow at 150 miles per hour, the Mubarak al Kabir will see the first architectural deployment of vertical ailerons—the normally horizontal flaps airline passengers see on a plane's trailing wing edge that help counter wind disturbances. "They will look like continuous ribbons running vertically along the six leading edges of the three blades," Kuhne says. "As [the ailerons] are constantly moving, and catching the sun while they adjust, sunlight will glint off their surfaces. It will add a gentle rippling reflection to the edges of the blades that will add dynamic sparkle to the tower," Kuhne says. The Burj Mubarak has a projected completion date of 2016

http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...s/4343115.html

Go KUWAIT

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 6:37 PM

NEW video HD

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 6:40 PM
Editor

This one is a vision like Miapolis, it´s no real proposal.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 6:47 PM

02 February 2010 - 17H22
AFP - Kuwait's parliament on Tuesday passed an economic development plan that authorises the government to spend 30 billion dinars (104 billion dollars) on mega projects over the next four years.

The plan, passed with little opposition, calls for boosting the OPEC country's oil production capacity and modernising oil facilities.

Its ultimate goal is to turn Kuwait into a regional trade and financial centre and help reduce its dependence on oil revenues, which account for around 94 percent of total state income.

The 2010-2014 plan initially projected spending of up to 129 billion dollars but Kuwait's deputy prime minister for economic affairs told parliament the figure has been scaled down.

Sheikh Ahmad Fahad al-Sabah later said the spending figures "are only estimates that could be altered in accordance with needs."

The first such plan since 1986, it includes such projects as developing the new Silk City business hub at an estimated cost of 77 billion dollars, as well as a major container harbour and a 25-kilometre (16-mile) causeway.
It also includes a railway and metro system, other new cities and additional spending on infrastructure, particularly in health and education.
http://www.france24.com/en/20100202-...-spending-plan

Last edited by Q8i; Feb 13, 2010 at 7:35 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 9:14 PM

There's already a thread on this. I should ask one of the mods to merge it with this one.

Either way, i'm not too surprised that this got approval. The real test is if it can obtain financing.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
There's already a thread on this. I should ask one of the mods to merge it with this one.

Either way, i'm not too surprised that this got approval. The real test is if it can obtain financing.

Chairman of the General Federation of Banks Kuwait Hamad Al Marzouq that Kuwaiti banks ready to finance government projects coming under the law of development plan approved by the National Assembly finally distinguished. He added that the Kuwaiti banks, including their financial capabilities and significant technical enabled them to overcome the heaviest crisis in the world economy, to be able to meet the funding requirements for the next stage.
Marzouk noted that Kuwaiti banks had previously funded projects ably Milirip huge projects such as the Equate project sewage treatment and other vital projects and major development.
He stressed that the financing channels of sound must be through banks because of their professional experience credit and infrastructure, technical and high capacities of risk management.
Asked about recent reports that banks are reluctant to finance, Marzouq explained that this story is completely false, and that grant funding is at the core of the banking sector and the mainstay in the growth of its activity. He pointed out that the reluctance of banks to grant funding for a very limited number of companies due to the mismatch of financial conditions and credit of the company or those with sound credit conditions of the banks, and the lack of success of a company to obtain financing from banks, reflecting concern the company's ability to accomplish project successfully, which represents a first line of defense to ensure the safety and accuracy of the implementation of these vital projects, and thus achieve the objectives of bringing those projects.

translated by google

http://www.alqabas.com.kw/Article.as...&date=14022010

BTW, thats today news 14\2\2010

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 1:44 AM

Which engineering firm was selected to design this tower? Sounds like something that be right up S.O.M.'s alley.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 10:50 PM

so this one is ago? does anyone know when this is slated to start construction??? and what construction companies could be building it?????

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 10:51 PM

hopefully im a journeyman carpenter of superintendent by the time this starts, i would def love to help construct it

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi4life View Post
so this one is ago? does anyone know when this is slated to start construction??? and what construction companies could be building it?????
Just a guess, but maybe 2012. It took the Burj Khalifa around 4 years to be completed, so...

I remember reading in a Popular Science magazine last summer that Silk City ITSELF isn't gonna be finished until 2025.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Just a guess, but maybe 2012. It took the Burj Khalifa around 4 years to be completed, so...

I remember reading in a Popular Science magazine last summer that Silk City ITSELF isn't gonna be finished until 2025.
mhm... interesting, thanks for that... i actually have time to try and somehow get on that.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 3:40 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Here's the old thread that got moved to the visions/unbuilt board:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=102845

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi4life View Post
mhm... interesting, thanks for that... i actually have time to try and somehow get on that.

Unfortunately, I may be a little off. I recently threw the magazine away. I get Popular Science, National Geographic, and Time magazines...you can get A LOT of poor trees out of all that.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive