HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 7:18 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
There's nothing wrong with responding to questions or comments someone posted on your thread,but adding a few photos every few days (to bump up your thread) is a little too much,have some respect for other people posting (i'm not referring to you)
I agree about that one completely, mr. John. Not a fan of the "constantly updated" photo threads...

Aaorn (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jun 9, 2013, 6:57 AM
Jeepus Africanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
I agree about that one completely, mr. John. Not a fan of the "constantly updated" photo threads...

Aaorn (Glowrock)
Same here "Aaorn"

Seriously though, one of the reasons I grew bored with the photo section was the constant presence of a handful of "update threads" that, quite frankly, get boring after a while.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 12:56 AM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
I agree with you 100% Witty,but unfortunately Flicker isn't the only website that's gone the drain, SSP's photo section has become a complete mess, you know there's a problem when you have threads by Okayyou, Sabotai, and flash relegated to page 2 after barely getting a thousand views. Why has this happened? for starters you have about a dozen serial bumpers who have taken upon themselves to make their threads "sticky" (you know who you are) and then there's certain people who decide to comment on 10-12 threads at one time, I'm sure their intentions are not bad, but by doing so they inadvertently bump a bunch of threads to page 2 or move new threads down the page, and finally there's people who post total crap bordering on spam every few days, which again results on threads being bumped to page 2 (the page of death). Things need to change
Thats a common thing over on SSC. Its also one of the reasons that I dont like to post threads there. I like to post my thread as more of a gallery to show a city or a period of time for my work.

My Book

Old Posted Jun 22, 2013, 8:55 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
I agree with you 100% Witty,but unfortunately Flicker isn't the only website that's gone the drain, SSP's photo section has become a complete mess, you know there's a problem when you have threads by Okayyou, Sabotai, and flash relegated to page 2 after barely getting a thousand views. Why has this happened? for starters you have about a dozen serial bumpers who have taken upon themselves to make their threads "sticky" (you know who you are) and then there's certain people who decide to comment on 10-12 threads at one time, I'm sure their intentions are not bad, but by doing so they inadvertently bump a bunch of threads to page 2 or move new threads down the page, and finally there's people who post total crap bordering on spam every few days, which again results on threads being bumped to page 2 (the page of death). Things need to change
Yup! Not to say I told you so, but this is exactly what I said would happen when the conversation was first brought up to merge the threads together. Another option would be to create a separate page for 'ongoing' threads, which I believe was also brought up way back when.

And yeah, Flickr sucks now. It's so hard to post photos to other websites. I dread the next time I make a photo thread. It was hard enough to copy all the image urls before hand...

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Yup! Not to say I told you so, but this is exactly what I said would happen when the conversation was first brought up to merge the threads together. Another option would be to create a separate page for 'ongoing' threads, which I believe was also brought up way back when.

And yeah, Flickr sucks now. It's so hard to post photos to other websites. I dread the next time I make a photo thread. It was hard enough to copy all the image urls before hand...
I posted this link a few times before. Probably the easiest tool to make a photothread if you are using flickr.

http://includr.vispillo.org/

As far as merging the two sections, there wasn't much of a point if the continuously updated threads did get moved to a new section. We are half way there, just need someone to make the next step.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 1:05 AM
Ex Houstonian

I just sent my dropped and destroyed nikon 14-24 2.8 off to Nikon. Been putting it off for 6 months, I'm sure the bill to fix it will be about 800-1000 bucks. Yay!!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 10:09 AM

Photol....on the infra red photos...after channel swapping do you use auto levels.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 10:06 PM
Ex Houstonian

No idea what that is so no lol

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 9:04 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota74 View Post
Photol....on the infra red photos...after channel swapping do you use auto levels.
He doesnt have photoshop yo.

My Book

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I just sent my dropped and destroyed nikon 14-24 2.8 off to Nikon. Been putting it off for 6 months, I'm sure the bill to fix it will be about 800-1000 bucks. Yay!!
Let me know how your experience went. I had a defective D7000. Nikon admitted it was a defective camera and "repaired it" It came back with the mirror outside the camera. I sent it back. Nikon "repaired it," but it still rendered a blurry image. I sent it back again, and the images were nice and sharp but the metering was totally off when it was fine before.

I gave up at that point and just wrote off the camera as a loss. My company has been nice and is letting me borrow the Canon 5D for my trips as long as I'm careful and I absolutely love it. But I can't afford it! In the meantime I've reverted back to the old reliable D40. I don't think I ever took a good photo with my D7000, and I'm not sure I know of many people that were overly happy with it. Most people I know dumped it after a few months and got other cameras.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 9:16 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Let me know how your experience went. I had a defective D7000. Nikon admitted it was a defective camera and "repaired it" It came back with the mirror outside the camera. I sent it back. Nikon "repaired it," but it still rendered a blurry image. I sent it back again, and the images were nice and sharp but the metering was totally off when it was fine before.

I gave up at that point and just wrote off the camera as a loss. My company has been nice and is letting me borrow the Canon 5D for my trips as long as I'm careful and I absolutely love it. But I can't afford it! In the meantime I've reverted back to the old reliable D40. I don't think I ever took a good photo with my D7000, and I'm not sure I know of many people that were overly happy with it. Most people I know dumped it after a few months and got other cameras.
I don't have any experience with the D7000, but my D7100 is absolutely fantastic!

Can't believe Nikon "repaired" your camera so freaking badly. Pretty pathetic!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jun 28, 2013, 2:46 PM

^ Weren't you the one who took a hissy fit when I pointed out all the flaws with the D7000? gee I guess I knew what I was talking about

Old Posted Jun 29, 2013, 3:57 PM

The future of photojournalism?

The Chicago-Sun Times laid off its entire photography staff this morning in a purge that cut about 28 staffers, according to the Chicago Tribune.

In a statement, the Sun-Times said the layoffs were due to a new focus "on bolstering our reporting capabilities with video and other multimedia elements." The wife of one of the laid-off photographers claimed on Twitter that this means Sun-Times reporters are being asked to use their smartphones to get pictures, while the Tribune reports that the paper will use only freelance photographers from now on. The whole truth probably lies somewhere in the middle, as more professional newsmakers are forced to confront the question of whether simply owning an iPhone and some hip filters can turn anyone into a decent photographer.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2013, 5:41 PM
Red October standing by

my d7000's worked great the past 6 months

-

-fflint

Old Posted Jun 29, 2013, 7:03 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
^ Weren't you the one who took a hissy fit when I pointed out all the flaws with the D7000? gee I guess I knew what I was talking about
Didn't your mother ever tell you if you had nothing nice to say it's best not to open your mouth?

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jun 29, 2013, 8:12 PM
Ex Houstonian

I had the D7000 for like 6 months and hated it, sold it and bought a D700. Still havent heard anything back about how ridiculously expensive it will be to fix my 14-24.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 12:54 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
.....The Chicago-Sun Times laid off its entire photography staff this morning in a purge that cut about 28 staffers, according to the Chicago Tribune.....
Taylor Emrey has a Tumblr up on this topic that compares Sun-Times photography post-layoff with its Chicago Tribune counterparts, here: http://suntimesdarktimes.tumblr.com

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 1:05 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

BTW, I agree with most everyone here that Google ham-handled their Flickr transition.
But where else are people going to visit to find their photo stock, aside from a general web search or places like Getty?
I've been getting a lot of stuff e-published via Flickr, once I've tagged properly, because Flickr seems to be where people search first.
But my sense is that this will change in the near future. Seriously bummed.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 2:11 AM
Look up, Waaaaaay up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrab View Post
BTW, I agree with most everyone here that Google ham-handled their Flickr transition.
You mean Yahoo?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 3:35 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

^ Yup. Thanks for the correction. My question stands

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography