HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 5:27 AM

Chicago to RACINE, WI by Bicycle

This past weekend, I had this grand idea to bike up Milwaukee from Chicago. It's about 90 miles each way on a trail that runs, for the most part, all the way there. Some friends decided to join me part of the way.

I took these pictures on my phone....and that's all I was carrying along with my wallet.

Unfortunately the weather didn't turn out as promised. It just got cloudier and colder and remained in the low 40's. I got up slightly past Racine to make it 80 miles, then 15 miles back to Kenosha, then rode around town to make it an even 100 miles. I then boarded a MetraRail train back to Chicago.

These photos show the way there + Racine. Kenosha will be the next thread.

On the way up near the North Channel Trail in Chicago we saw this house being moved

Breakfast in Highland Park....18 Miles North of downtown Chicago

At about 25% of the way to Milwaukee the trail switches to concrete near the Naval Station at Great Lakes

Just South of Waukegan

Through Waukegan and Zion it's a miserable stretch of crushed limestone. It's okay to ride a road bike on it....just annoying after awhile. After passing Zion it starts to get rural

Here's the un-ceremonious border crossing between Illinois and Wisconsin. Just a humble pedestrian bridge. The trail becomes asphalt pavement rest of the way

Kenosha, but I'll save more for a later thread

Finally I reach Racine. About 75 miles from home. Cold, tired, and miserable But I forced myself to take pictures.

Now before you ask "Where's the people????" It was miserable out. And I probably looked like a fool pedaling about the wrong way on streets taking cell phone pictures of buildings.

Hey look, a blue thing

FLW

Worn, but interesting neighborhood commercial district I saw on the way out

Back on the road

Stay tuned for Kenosha

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos