HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Miglin-Beitler Skyneedle in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 4:50 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Supposedly this one was going to share design details with Pelli's 181 W Madison across the street.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 5:11 AM

^ Same architect, same time period.

No one here ever posted the front page of the Wall Street Journal (sometime in 1990?) that had this running like half the length of the page. Sexy stuff. That page should go into some Unbuilt Chicago display/collection.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 5:15 AM

With the parking lot still there, something tall may end up in that spot some day, even if it's not a supertall.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 11:51 AM
TL;DR

I do like how the parking garage allows the Madison/Wells intersection to get some daylight. With the modernized elevated train station, it forms a nice urban vignette that's very well-lit.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 4:42 PM
BANNED

"The Petronas Towers have an obvious design reference, with the exception of having round floorplates as opposed to square ones."-Wikipedia article on Miglin Beitler Skyneedle.

I'm surprised that Wikipedia would say such a thing since the main thing that separates Petronas from other supertalls is it's cylindrical shape. I guess because Pelli designed both, the writer of that blurb on wikipedia just decided they must look the same......but they don't. In fact about the only architectural feature they share is the spire on top. Miglin-Beitler was much more like the Empire State Building than it is Petronas. The Miglin-Beitler Skyneedle also showed what a great architect Pelli is due to to how different his designs are. Cesar Pelli is everything Frank Gehry should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarMike View Post
I think one day, both this and the Illinois will be built. You gotta remember that Chicago lost alot of people between the 50s and 80s because of suburban and southern migration. Now Chicago is recovering, and as a major Architectual center of the world, it still has alot to offer but as for now, man, it looks really awesome.
This is another ridiculous comment. The reason the Illinois was never built had little to do with mass exodus from the city and much more to do with the difficulties in trying to finance such a huge project. Do you think it's a coincidence that the Chicago Spire (which is a way less ambitious project than the Illinois) went tits up at the same time the recession hit? I don't think so. Not only that but if such an exodus occurred, how is it that Chicago has built numerous supertalls since the Illinois was proposed? I think you have Chicago mixed up with cities like Detroit and St. Louis.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Nov 26, 2010 at 6:05 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 5:18 PM

It's such a shame this thing was never built.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 11:37 PM

This building is interesting, but again I think it has too many set backs. If it is to be built in the past or the future it should look more like a taller Empire State Building.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 8:44 PM
Rey

Smile

Well this tower will be perfect for Manhattan.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 2:25 AM

Sigh...... What a shame this was not built. Of all the buildings proposed that where never built at 1,900 plus feet, this was the best. The Sky City proposal in Changsha sort of looks like this but squatter yet taller.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 5:23 PM

it wouldn't fit well in the skyline. the setbacks leading up to a point is more New York style. if you look at the supertalls in chicago, 5 out of 6 of them are flat roofed.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 10:58 PM
All-American City Boy

I still wish this would happen for Chicago... =/

4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 12:15 AM

^ 7SD was better

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
I still wish this would happen for Chicago... =/
Who knows, maybe we will get something like that if SHoP designs the tower. At this point, only time will tell what will happen next. Here's hoping that the best design gets picked

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 3:28 AM
Show me the blueprints

Ah the olde MBT... makes me feel like a kid again. It could be proposed right now and I doubt anyone would call it an anachronism.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 4:26 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

^I just think it's impressive that the structure of MBT representeda shift away from the (bundled) core-tube type structures, paving the way for a lot of the supertalls that have gone up around the world since then, which have the core/outrigger type construction.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 12:07 PM

The skyneedle is the best supertall proposal that Chicago never got ... I wish this building would some how become resurected because its actually a very elegant building for a supertall and without of doube would of replaced the sears tower or hancock as chicago's signature building. The only thing i would critique on this building would be the number of setback which can easily be reduced to have and still have the same proportions

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 3:39 PM

Not sure if anyone saw the recent American Crime Story miniseries about the murder of Gianni Versace, but Versace and Lee Miglin were killed by the same person and Miglin’s plans for the Skyneedle are featured in flashback scenes about Miglin’s death.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 8:26 PM

Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 9:42 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Awesome rendering! I STILL want this tower to be built along with almost all of the 2000-ish era and height towers like 7SD, Project 2000, Wolf Point... Sigh!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects