HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady73 View Post
Noticed some surveying work being done today at the Block 13 corner site, so they should hopefully be starting construction on that within the next few weeks.

Looks like Block 5 should commence sometime in August if still on schedule.

And Block 7 should commence construction in Feb. '13 based on the developer's goals.

Unfortunately, from some additional digging, it does appear the largest part of Bayfront park, P22, "is" tied to the Salesforce land being developed, so it will be some time before that is finally built. However, it does look like P23 and P24 should get started ahead of P22, some time within the next year.
Thanks for the update!

Regarding Block 7...

From David Baker (the architect):
Quote:
It's been stalled because of the Redevelopment issue, but we are starting Contract documents now. It should break ground in about a year.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 10:55 PM
heavy user of walkability

western edge

socketsite had a blurb today about potential development just across Seventh St from MB. would replace a large self-storage lot and, along with Daggett Place, the Kaiser medical office building, and other nearby projects, help a lot to soften that edge and link MB with Showplace Square/Potrero Hill

edit: now all we need is to cut back the freeway, bury the train tracks, and get a trolley line coming in on 16th and we're in business :-)

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 6:43 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Well it might not be all of those but at least the Mission Bay TIGER grant will provide some other improvements:

Quote:
TIGER funds will complete the street grid, build pedestrian and bicycle facilities, improve the highway off-ramp, and construct a short-run loop for the light rail that will enable SFMTA to double service to the area.
Is the completion of the street grid referring to re-routing Terry Francois?

Thanks to northbay for posting about the TIGER grants in the Transportation forum.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 2:21 PM

peanut gallery:
Quote:
Well it might not be all of those but at least the Mission Bay TIGER grant will provide some other improvements:.
TIGER grants are one of the many beneficial projects funded by the stimulus/ARRA that a certain political party always likes to claim is wasteful. The Transbay tower also received $300M - $400M from the stimulus.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 4:48 PM

Quote:
and construct a short-run loop for the light rail that will enable SFMTA to double service to the area.
It looks like this loop will be going on 18th/Illinois/19th. The track connections with the main line are already there; they just have to finish building the loop on Illinois.

Here's an old map showing the short-run loop:

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
peanut gallery:

TIGER grants are one of the many beneficial projects funded by the stimulus/ARRA that a certain political party always likes to claim is wasteful. The Transbay tower also received $300M - $400M from the stimulus.
The terminal received stimulus funds. The Transbay Tower will be built with private investment (Hines, et al). There was no money awarded to the tower.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 6:35 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^Thanks for that map (it's definitely old -- 3Com). I was curious where that loop would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
peanut gallery:

Just to clarify, you mean the terminal not the tower, correct?

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 6:36 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Oops, I see coyotetrickster jumped in there while I was typing and already addressed that.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 4:08 AM
Sonoma Strong

I had no idea that a loop was being planned all along. Thanks minesweeper for the map clarifying where it is.

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
I've been meaning to get some shots of how Madrone meets the sidewalk, but have been waiting for the scaffolding to get out of the way for a clearer look. I'll post as soon as I can
well, it's somewhat clearer now, tho some fencing is still in the way...

here is an overview of the whole streetfront, where you can see that narrow, recessed sections alternate with wide, less-recessed ones. I think the middle two narrow sections contain double doors, the outer ones don't. the wide sections are all large windows. there is a set of double doors also on the north side near the northwest corner, and at the southwest corner. so, seems intended to be an active ground floor to me:

this is looking south from the corner of China Basin:

this is looking north:

and here looking north again, showing the corner along the Commons, where you can see there is a covered area behind the corner columns:

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 3:38 AM

If you go to the Madrone website and click on "Residences" and then "Exterior", you can hover over a dot marking the Third Street frontage, which pops up a description of "Convenient ground floor retail space".

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 3:46 AM

elsewhere in the 'hood...

pile-driving has started in the 'basement' of the public safety building site (lucky Madrone residents will have missed most of the pile-driving from their immediate neighbors):

Potrero Launch has mostly emerged from its wrapping. looking south along Third:

closer up on the new part:

and looking back north:

here is what blocks 2 and 3 look like in the context of their surrounding streets... looking north up Fourth:

looking back the other way, south into the curve of Fourth from Channel:

and looking east along Channel towards the future Mission Rock parcel, with the hotel site on the left:

edit: and for a closer-up view of the action, there is always the webcam

Last edited by timbad; Jun 25, 2012 at 3:59 AM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 6:47 AM
testify

at the tuesday lunch-hour spur talk last week, dude from mission bay (the principle-slash-master project manager) admitted that if there's one thing that he thinks that they got completely wrong and really missed, it's that street-level retail should have been treated as an amenity unto itself. couldn't agree more and i'm pleased to see that bosa went ahead and built what looks to be at least 3000sqf of commercial space there.

thanks for the pics too!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 4:52 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy as pie View Post
i'm pleased to see that bosa went ahead and built what looks to be at least 3000sqf of commercial space there.
Me too. Nice to see a little unexpected retail along 3rd. Perhaps we'll see more of that in whatever becomes of the Salesforce properties.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 4:46 AM

something maybe to keep an eye on... not sure if this is just storage/staging, but a couple days ago a pile-driver and two other vehicles made their appearance sitting on the western portion of Long Bridge Street, the part that had been graded but not paved a while back (LB of course being what divides blocks 13 and 5). as seen from across the creek:

and closer-up:

just for the record, this is what block 13 still looks like. looking northeast:

edit: yes, that's the Dodgers going down to their second shut-out defeat in a row there in the background

Last edited by timbad; Jun 27, 2012 at 4:59 AM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 8:09 PM

My guess is they will be used for 13 East, or Block 5, whichever gets going first. Probably within the next month.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 11:21 PM

The children's playground in Mission Bay is finally moving forward. Expected completion is Q1 2014. More about it and some images here:

http://www.livesoma.com/2012/07/02/m...blic-workshop/

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 2:04 AM

Why is the bathroom 500 feet away? When kids gotta go, they gotta go!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 5:32 AM

here is a gloomy peek down Long Bridge St from 4th, with block 5 on the left (and the site of the playground in the distance, about where the equipment is parked), and block 13 on the right.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 5:54 AM

Madrone

to me, Madrone is looking better as it gets its finishing touches, even on a cloudy day. the south side:

north side:

detail of the north side showing planter boxes that could make the sidewalk experience much more pleasant

from across Third, including the public safety building site in the view:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development