HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 2:40 PM

It really does look nice.

I don't have a problem with the city using this building... for now. The renovation needed to be done and the building needs tenants. However, the city should still make this building available for other potential tenants and be able to relocate if a desirable tenant/use is found. It's wasted on Tourism Hamilton in the long run.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Last I heard Tourism Hamilton will relocate and not sure but I think Community Services.
Scrolling back through the pages I noticed the TH mention. Joe Mancinelli has them as a ground floor tenant, which should look sensational since their Jackson Square digs are generally closed by 4pm.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 5:19 PM

Arcade

photo by me from last night

As compared to ~ 2004:

via LEXI @ MilitaryPhotos.Net

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 1:18 AM
Hammer'd

Coming from someone who spent a lot of time in the abandoned Lister Block, the transformation is absolutely breathtaking. I really never could see that arcade brought back to life again. I really hope those restored storefronts are taken advantage of.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Coming from someone who spent a lot of time in the abandoned Lister Block, the transformation is absolutely breathtaking.
While I worked at Kresges back in the day, I completely ignored the Lister. But seeing this transformation from the pics posted, I would consider making the trek in from Newmarket just to see it when it's complete.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Coming from someone who spent a lot of time in the abandoned Lister Block, the transformation is absolutely breathtaking. I really never could see that arcade brought back to life again. I really hope those restored storefronts are taken advantage of.
I haven't figured out the floorplans for retail yet? It seems the arcade(s?) have doors for small outlets, but the main floor plate looks like one large open space? Like big enough for a sit-down resto.

It's all still amazing to me as unlike you unfortunately I never got into this place, just saw photos (prolly from by you) and the exterior.

..still waiting to hear about the open house (I email them every week) LOL

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 4:41 PM

I forget the name of this Bldg (Thomas Bldg?), attached to the Lister.

Looks like they're building a new wall n opening up that side (main entry?)

photos by me taken Jun 15

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 5:00 PM
It's Hammer Time

Looks like they doing framing work for each floors. They have the facade stored away.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 6:04 PM

I think that's their method of taking the building down one bit at a time. The 2x4s are there to support the remaining floor sections while one is cut out. When they're done the first unit they will alternately take down sections of the masonry wall and the floors of the next unit.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 2:33 AM

does anyone know what the plans are for this building beside the lister. are they planning on restoring the facade?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 5:21 AM

I hope to god a Fortinos locates on the ground floor. Wouldn't that be the ultimate?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 12:55 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by msakalau View Post
are they planning on restoring the facade?
Yes, they've removed the facade for restoration.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
It's wasted on Tourism Hamilton in the long run.
Seems spendthrift, given how cheap JS rent is. And possibly even illogical, considering the bump in traffic TH got after moving out of the Pigott.

Then again, it wouldn't be the first time.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2011, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
I hope to god a Fortinos locates on the ground floor. Wouldn't that be the ultimate?
Wouldn't it have been amazing (and by 'amazing' I mean Logical) had they put Condo/Lofts on the upper floors, w/ a grocery store at streetfront retail?
You know, cuz Downtown Hamilton certainly lacks office space and is overflowing with grocery stores (esp those at decent prices, open 7 days a week past 5pm).

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1983 View Post
Wouldn't it have been amazing (and by 'amazing' I mean Logical) had they put Condo/Lofts on the upper floors, w/ a grocery store at streetfront retail?
You know, cuz Downtown Hamilton certainly lacks office space and is overflowing with grocery stores (esp those at decent prices, open 7 days a week past 5pm).
Yep currently you have to drive out to Rymal Rd to get something resembling 24-hr grocery.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 5:59 AM
Hammer'd

Or Nash Road/Queenston.

Either way, the downtown of a city of half a million people should have at *least* one 24 hour hour grocery store.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 9:34 AM

The Metro on King St. W at Paradise (behind Westdale HS) is open 24 hours.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Or Nash Road/Queenston.

Either way, the downtown of a city of half a million people should have at *least* one 24 hour hour grocery store.
The only 24 hour anything I know of Downtown is the Hasty Market at John/Forest. It's pretty frustrating at times.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1983 View Post
More condos? No, I think we need more office space across the street from the ever-vacant Stelco Tower.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
More condos? No, I think we need more office space across the street from the ever-vacant Stelco Tower.
..and Commerce Towers! And (soon to be) the Right House. And soon the redeveloped Crazy Horse Saloon. *rolls eyes*

On the bright side, at least condos are being built. Just not in the Core Core.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton