HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

U Condominiums II in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Toronto Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Toronto Forum   • Toronto Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 5:20 PM

PHILADELPHIA | Penn Medicine South Tower | 302 FT | 19 FLOORS

This tower will include the Penn Medicine Transnational Research Center South Pavilion, Henry Jordan Medical Education Center, and the Penn Center for Advanced Cellular Therapeutics.

Title: PCAM South Tower
Project: Office/research/medical
Architect: Rafael Vinoly Architects
Developer: Penn Medicine
Neighborhood: University City
District: West Philadelphia
Floors: 19
Height: 302 ft

The building is currently under construction and steel is up to the 11th floor.

http://www.facilities.upenn.edu/maps...ower-expansion

Last edited by summersm343; Mar 17, 2015 at 9:08 PM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 7:26 PM

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 5:23 PM

Hey summersm, do you know of any rendering for this thing? Hopefully they will obscure the awful Pearlman Center building with something nicer.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
Hey summersm, do you know of any rendering for this thing? Hopefully they will obscure the awful Pearlman Center building with something nicer.
What, you're not into the suburban-office-park look?

I remember being at a Penn alumni event when Amy Gutmann was crowing over a rendering of the soon-to-be-built Perelman Center--including the fact that it had been designed by the wonderful Rafael Vinoly of Kimmel Center fame--and thinking to myself, "am I the only one here who thinks this looks like it belongs somewhere in Blue Bell or Plymouth Meeting, and NOT on an urban Ivy League campus?"

Sometimes I get quite annoyed at the mediocrity of some of the architecture Penn has built on its campus over the past 50-60 years, especially given its eminent Architecture program with a tradition of world-class faculty and alums (e.g., Paul Philippe Cret, Louis Kahn, Robert Venturi, Denise Scott Brown, etc.).

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Sometimes I get quite annoyed at the mediocrity of some of the architecture Penn has built on its campus . . . . with a tradition of world-class faculty and alums (e.g., Paul Philippe Cret, Louis Kahn, Robert Venturi, Denise Scott Brown, etc.).
Note the youngest names on your brief list are about 90 years old. Says something, right?

Actually, I think Eugene Kohn of KPF is a Penn grad. But he's probably pretty old at this point too.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 7:53 PM

Quote:

I remember being at a Penn alumni event when Amy Gutmann was crowing over a rendering of the soon-to-be-built Perelman Center--including the fact that it had been designed by the wonderful Rafael Vinoly of Kimmel Center fame--and thinking to myself, "am I the only one here who thinks this looks like it belongs somewhere in Blue Bell or Plymouth Meeting, and NOT on an urban Ivy League campus?"

Sometimes I get quite annoyed at the mediocrity of some of the architecture Penn has built on its campus over the past 50-60 years, especially given its eminent Architecture program with a tradition of world-class faculty and alums (e.g., Paul Philippe Cret, Louis Kahn, Robert Venturi, Denise Scott Brown, etc.).
The Louis Kahn building on campus is one of the worse ones built in the last 50 years. Do you agree?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
The Louis Kahn building on campus is one of the worse ones built in the last 50 years. Do you agree?
It's not a personal favorite, but it happens to be a landmark in 20th-century architectural history (cited by most architectural historians as one of the most significant buildings of the mid-20th century):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard...h_Laboratories

And no, I don't think it's one of the worst. There are several others I'd put ahead of it in that regard, such as the high-rise and low-rise dorms in what we used to call "Superblock," the social sciences quadrangle (Stiteler Hall, GSE, SSPP), Rittenhouse Lab, and the original Dietrich Hall, just to name a few.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Note the youngest names on your brief list are about 90 years old. Says something, right?

Actually, I think Eugene Kohn of KPF is a Penn grad. But he's probably pretty old at this point too.
Well, those are some of the legends.

I'm sure there are some younger folks currently making names for themselves, and my lack of knowledge of them is more a reflection on me than on them.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 8:50 PM

And no, I don't think it's one of the worst. There are several others I'd put ahead of it in that regard, such as the high-rise and low-rise dorms in what we used to call "Superblock," the social sciences quadrangle (Stiteler Hall, GSE, SSPP), Rittenhouse Lab, and the original Dietrich Hall, just to name a few. [/QUOTE]

DRL has grown on me, but it is still ugly. The remodeling of GSE about a decade ago has done some good. Is Stiteler and the Psych building still slated to be replaced over the next decade?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Is Stiteler and the Psych building still slated to be replaced over the next decade?
I sure hope so.

Of course, with the imminent construction of the new Neural-Behavioral Sciences Building, they'll be moving the Psych stuff out of the current Psych building (called Solomon Labs). And then, hopefully, they'll demolish and replace it.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 1:07 AM

9/22

Can't tell if it's 11 floors of 9 floors with an oversized penthouse

Rendering:

Being built over the CAM loading docks hence the trusswork....

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 10:15 PM

Looks like topped out at 11. Either way this is at least 150 feet. Perelman Center next to it is 290 feet.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Looks like topped out at 11. Either way this is at least 150 feet. Perelman Center next to it is 290 feet.
I think you mean the Smilow Center (that's what they call the tower now). In any event, with the new CHOP Ambulatory Care Center and this going up at the same time, this is becoming quite a dense area. And with future development (a Perelman south tower to replace the old Penn Tower, etc.), it will become even more so.

And then there are the CHOP towers planned for the other side of the river . . . .

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 5:50 AM

From Jrdizzy

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 10:34 PM

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
The color of that fascade is brutal.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 2:14 PM

Quote:
The color of that fascade is brutal.
Pretty sure that's just the photo--in real life, it's not pink (or however you'd describe that color):

http://www.archinnovations.com/featu...-pennsylvania/ (scroll down for several photos)

Also, see the photos in posts 1, 2, and 11, above.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure that's just the photo--in real life, it's not pink (or however you'd describe that color):

http://www.archinnovations.com/featu...-pennsylvania/ (scroll down for several photos)

Also, see the photos in posts 1, 2, and 11, above.
No, your photo does depict how the fascade looks at times during the day. It is a terrible color, whether it is pink or off white or whatever it is suppose to be.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 8:35 PM

Basic beige.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 2:45 AM

Quote:

You need good leadership with a desire for and commitment to good architecture. Amy's comment's show that she doesn't fit the bill there. Thankfully, Penn has some other leaders who do. The most prominent of these is the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences Dean, Eduardo Glandt. He was integral in selecting KieranTimberlake, Tod Williams and Billie Tsien, and most recently, Weiss/Manfredi to design buildings for the school.

Weiss/Manfredi's Center for Nanotechnology is a real gem.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive