HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 4:22 AM

H2o | 169 M | 45 F | Abandoned

There is finally some detail coming out about this project, located at the corner of 4th Street and 11th Avenue SW (currently a parking lot with an adjacent building that will be incorporated)

It was proposed last year and a few Calgary forumers got a bit of a peak at but until recently theres been no renderings released. Plus some information from one of the forumers who works for the city with an unofficial height: 269M to the top of the spiral.

Still no name for the project however. The developers had indicated in the past that they'd wanted to be in the ground for this project by spring 2009.The project will incorporate an already existing building, the Duff Building, which is located on the east of the site. The tower will have both above and below grade parking, then number of floors of office space. Above the office space will be residential with a spiral feature on the roof which will serve to hide some of the related mechanical systems. In total there will be 45 floors (33 residential and 12 commercial I believe was the breakdown).

Renderings courtesy Bokimon

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 10:22 AM
Everywhere all at once

Not a bad design....decent height......LOVE the way it's placed away from the other tall buildings, it extends the skyline......folks, I think we may have a winner!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 2:20 PM
arf

269m? It would be the tallest in Calgary by quite a bit (albeit some is the pointy top), but The Bow is only 236m. Bankers Hall pictured in the last picture is 197m. In that picture it's not looking close to 269m, although the perspective is quite deceiving. The overall style isn't doing much for me, but the location is definitely interesting.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 3:28 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

A bit of number crunching shows the average height per floor to be around 5.3 metres (assuming the spire is around 30 metres). Give me a break... no residential is going have floor to floor heights of 17+ feet...

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 5:08 PM

It's 169m not 269m. One of the Calgary forumers misread the DP.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 6:20 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Thanks... that sounds WAY more realistic.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 7:19 PM
Back from the dead

Yeah, I found that to be an incredible figure too. Thanks for the correction on the height.

I rather like the design (personal taste , to each their own I suppose) but I have to admit that the location is what makes it that much more appealing. What are the odds that this thing will actually get built though ?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2008, 7:58 PM
Editor

Even 169m is quite tall for the area it's going into. I'd rather see it around 130m myself, but I can live with 169m

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Yeah, I found that to be an incredible figure too. Thanks for the correction on the height.

I rather like the design (personal taste , to each their own I suppose) but I have to admit that the location is what makes it that much more appealing. What are the odds that this thing will actually get built though ?
Hard to say. Procura is currently building another building that has seemingly been under construction for an eon now (the Montana). They do seem to take their time, and the lot for this one is pretty prime, by the time its completed there will be 3 other brand new towers within a block of it (an office building across the intersection thats nearing completion, an office condo to the east, and another residential on the block to the north.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 6:38 PM
arf

Hey mersar do you have the names/heights of the other towers in that area that are proposed? I'm curious how this area is going to build out.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 6:47 PM
Majestic

There is another tower just across the street that is proposed, but only around about as tall as the brown building to the centre left of the second rendering (~65m). There are a pair of condo towers, 84m and 92m, under construction a block to the north. And then just north of those towers is the proposed Alberta Boot project which should clock in at about 125m and 180m. And across the CPR tracks to the north of that is the Eighth Avenue Place office project at 166m and 211m. Other than the Alberta boot project, there are no buildings of comparable height in the immediate area.

Flickr

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 6:42 PM
Up Up and Away

That is a pretty interesting looking building.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 7:04 PM
arf

Thanks Boris2k7. Alberta Boot <<shudder>>. I'll have to look that one up.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 7:07 PM
Majestic

Flickr

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 11:36 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
Nice. Seriously better than what I was imagining. Then again, no one wants to see what I was imagining.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 7:10 PM

I like it. Construction should be about a year off.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 6:14 PM
Community Guy

decent attempt, but failed at incorporation of the elements. I also am of strong belief it is trying to use all of the current "contemporary parts" that are popular right now in design.

7/10

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 6:06 AM

i dont like that second rendering but the first and third are awesome

Old Posted Mar 25, 2008, 6:29 AM
BANNED

ew

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 7:49 PM
Hypnotized

New rendering:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates