HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 1:59 AM

I never imagined a discussion about Flex breaking out on this board. Very entertaining.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 2:40 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolacat157 View Post
I never imagined a discussion about Flex breaking out on this board. Very entertaining.
I must agree... too funny...

I took a couple of pictures today that ill upload... nothing too great though..

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 2:53 AM

Oh, interior shots of FLEX?

EDIT: I can't believe I popped my forum cherry on that.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 12:34 PM
Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Ah, I see.

Why can't they have similar establishments for straight people?
I hear Houston has a few straight places like that.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 12:39 PM

Flex

Quote:
Wait... is it not simply a gym?
If you are brave enough....and no one can see your computer screen, then go to the website.

I went to the site once because I didnt' know what it was and was curious....last time i'll go...

It is a men's only, clothing optional gym that also has "fully equipped napping rooms complete with beds, shower, tv"....etc... something like that.

To be complete upfront, it's an anything goes gay bath house. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just not for me. Even my best friend (gay) thinks it is creepy though.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 12:42 PM

Audubon Hotel (next to 1205 St. Charles / Popeyes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
I lived in 1205 about two years ago. At one point they changed the contractor signs or something so I got excited...and then nothing happened.

I wouldn't be surprised if it continues to sit and sit and sit...
I stand corrected...I drive down Prytania everyday, but today I chose St. Charles to check it out. There is indeed new fencing that has replaced the plywood that shuttered the building as well as all of the new signs you mentioned.

This could finally be the restoration of the Audubon Hotel and whatever famous bar that used to be in it.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 12:56 PM
Baltimore

Quote:
^^ Cool. The article mentions that Market Street has hired Cupkovic Architects, who - big surprise - were the architects of Midtown Miami, and a similar development in Orlando.

If you wanna see the future, folks, go down to Florida. Looks like it's coming here.
Midtown Miami is awesome now. The area before the new development was underdeveloped, crime ridden, and impoverished. Now the area is popping with new art galleries, shops, and restaurants. I hang out there on the weekend.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 1:46 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I must agree... too funny...

I took a couple of pictures today that ill upload... nothing too great though..
No it was a couple of shots of the new jail food kitchen building... I think Ill leave the Flex stuff to everyone's imagination.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 10:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisianaRush View Post
Midtown Miami is awesome now. The area before the new development was underdeveloped, crime ridden, and impoverished. Now the area is popping with new art galleries, shops, and restaurants. I hang out there on the weekend.

New Orleans needs to be like that.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 10:46 PM

Lafitte Corridor

According to Gambit, if everything goes to plan, public meetings for the Lafitte Corridor would begin after April, last for a year, and construction would begin shortly after and take two years.

So while I'm happy the project is going forward, and the money is already set aside, I'm unhappy that under the best case scenario it will open April, 2014.

http://www.bestofneworleans.com/gamb...nt?oid=1620787

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 12:19 AM

construction at the t-wall in st. bernard. 115 cranes total. nice to see the investment being made.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 12:32 AM
TL;DR

Holy CRAP. The Army Corps is really pulling out all the stops to meet their June 1st deadline for 100-year protection.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Couldnt have said it better. Ultimately, that is the true measure of success of redeveloping these neighborhoods. Would you walk around them at night?

A couple new projects posted:

Joint Air Traffic Control Facility (NAS/JRB New Orleans)
201000680105 v. 7
Dodge Project Report, Specs and Addenda
Military Facility,
Guidance Detection Tracking System,
Hazardous Waste Disposal GC Bidding $10,000,000 LA (Orleans) Mar 22,

[New project.] 1329689 New Orleans, LA Multi-Residential 02/24/2011
Description Tenant improvements for an existing commercial development in New Orleans. Schematic design plans call for the renovation of existing commercial space in order to create 30 residences. Subcontractor bidding will begin in March of 2011....Click here for complete Project Details

[New project.] 1067510 New Orleans, LA Educational 02/24/2011
Description Renovation of and addition to an educational facility in New Orleans. Design development plans call for the renovation of an existing school building, including the construction of a two-story, 45,000-square-foot addition to the top of the building. ...Click here for complete Project Details
Project Name Bywater Art Lofts - Phase II

Project Type Remodeling
Building Use Multi-Residential
Reported 03/09/2011
Status Post-Bid
Sector Private
Value $1,200,000.00
Location New Orleans, LA

Address 3700-22 Dauphine St. and 723 Independence St.
Square 177 New Orleans, LA 70117
County Orleans
Bid Date March 17, 2011
Est. Start Date April 2011

Project Description
Tenant improvements for an existing commercial development in New Orleans. Completed working plans call for the renovation of existing commercial space in order to create 30 residences.

Subcontractor bids are due to the design/builder by March 17, 2011.

Project Name LUNO Monroe Hall Expansion

Project Type Addition
Demolition
Renovation
Site Work
Building Use Educational
Reported 02/24/2011
Status Design
Sector Private
Value $10,000,000.00
Location New Orleans, LA

Address Calhoun Street New Orleans, LA 70118
County Orleans
Bid Date
Est. Start Date May 2011

Project Description
Renovation of and addition to an educational facility in New Orleans. Design development plans call for the renovation of an existing school building, including the construction of a two-story, 45,000-square-foot addition to the top of the building. After the expansion, the building will total 144,647 square feet.

Construction is tentatively expected to begin late spring 2011.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Does anyone even care about Jesse Jackson anymore? But yeah I agree I think what retailers are looking for in New Orleans is a critical mass of stores to locate near. thats always been the issue finding an area large enough to support it all and not be in New Orleans East.

Three new projects that showed up on bidclerk.

[New project.] 1458597 New Orleans, LA Medical 03/03/2011

Description Renovation of a medical facility in New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for the renovation of a 237,500-square-foot medical office which will include office space and exam rooms. All trades are let....Click here for complete Project Details

[New project.] 1475765 New Orleans, LA Medical 03/03/2011

Description Renovation of a medical facility in New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for the renovation of a 53,493-square-foot medical building which will include office space and exam rooms. All trades are let....Click here for complete Project Details

New Orleans Mental Health Center (Hurricane Rebuild)(RE-BID)
200600912247 v. 32
Dodge Project Report, Plans, Specs and Addenda
Clinic/Medical Office GC Bidding $2,940,000 LA (Orleans)
Project Name Ochsner Medical Center - Internal Medicine

Project Type Renovation
Building Use Medical
Reported 03/03/2011
Status Award
Sector Private
Value $20,000,000.00
Location New Orleans, LA

Address 1516 Jefferson Hwy. New Orleans, LA 70112
County Orleans
Bid Date
Est. Start Date March 2011

Project Description
Renovation of a medical facility in New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for the renovation of a 237,500-square-foot medical office which will include office space and exam rooms.

All trades are let.

Project Name Ochsner Medical Center - Queensland Research

Project Type Renovation
Building Use Medical
Reported 03/03/2011
Status Award
Sector Private
Value $4,000,000.00
Location New Orleans, LA

Address 1516 Jefferson Hwy. New Orleans, LA 70112
County Orleans
Bid Date
Est. Start Date March 2011

Project Description
Renovation of a medical facility in New Orleans. Completed working drawings call for the renovation of a 53,493-square-foot medical building which will include office space and exam rooms.

All trades are let.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 1:02 AM
-

Its weird and wrong that they are saying Oschner is located in New Orleans when it isnt.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 1:22 AM

It's just like businesses in Jefferson with the Zip 70123 list that they are in New Orleans. BTW, do you have anymore BidClerk project IDs?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Its weird and wrong that they are saying Oschner is located in New Orleans when it isnt.
It's an international hospital, cant have a Metairie address confusing people of its location.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 2:18 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Cletus View Post
It's just like businesses in Jefferson with the Zip 70123 list that they are in New Orleans. BTW, do you have anymore BidClerk project IDs?
Even if the Post Office considers certain areas of unincorporated JP to be "New Orleans", the Bidcleark listing is objectively wrong - it says "County Orleans".

In addition to making it sound like we're in Ireland, the listing is wrong - the site is in Jefferson Parish.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 1:54 PM

Monroe Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Cletus View Post
Project Name Bywater Art Lofts - Phase II

Project Name LUNO Monroe Hall Expansion

Project Type Addition
Demolition
Renovation
Site Work
Building Use Educational
Reported 02/24/2011
Status Design
Sector Private
Value $10,000,000.00
Location New Orleans, LA

Address Calhoun Street New Orleans, LA 70118
County Orleans
Bid Date
Est. Start Date May 2011

Project Description
Renovation of and addition to an educational facility in New Orleans. Design development plans call for the renovation of an existing school building, including the construction of a two-story, 45,000-square-foot addition to the top of the building. After the expansion, the building will total 144,647 square feet.

Construction is tentatively expected to begin late spring 2011.
As a recent grad of Loyola (under 5 years)....I AM SO HAPPY THEY ARE RENOVATING MONROE!!! If you're curious, it is the ugliest building on campus. That enough will point you in the right direction. Apparently the architect designed it for the "kenner campus" (when they thought they were going to sell St. Charles to Tulane and move the entire university to Kenner (thank goodness they didn't) and that she wanted the building to resemble ships on the river...hence the porthole-ish looking windows. The building, for the most part, is a windowless concrete monstrosity that would be the "wave of the future" except the future hates it. The large majority of the classrooms and hallways don't even have windows. The ceilings were "modern" meaning they weren't built out. They painted all the mechanical / plumbing above you dark brown and hung the lights below it so you wouldn't see it...except paint had chipped off the "poo tubes" as we called them during class and you could literally see the poop flying by you overhead.

I loved everything about Loyola...except that building.....(obviously I'm opinionated). I would encourage you to go walk around in it before they renovate just so you know how bad it is.

The best part...the architect forgot to include restrooms in the building. HOW DO YOU DO THAT??? So they made an alteration as the building was under construction and ran plumbing in the stairwells and used the broom closets (literally) on the landings halfway between the floors as restrooms. Absolutely pitiful. Not sure if architects have licenses..but she needs to lose hers. I'll look for a renovation rendering and her name.. I've seen the rendering. The facade will be removed and brick, etc will be used to make it fit in with the rest of campus.

Last edited by IceCream; Mar 25, 2011 at 1:57 PM. Reason: forgot the bathrooms

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 2:14 PM

Loyola

http://www.loyno.edu/assets/blogs/do...NALBOTcomp.pdf

That link will take you to the university's master plan. Very ambitious but much of it is underway already. The 2 story addition to the West Road Garage was recently completed and I'd estimate that Thomas hall is about 70% complete. I believe they've already floated either the entirety of the bond issue necessary or it is at least the majority of it...

You will see renderings of all the buildings they will build / renovate including Monroe (terrible). It looks like the new student center and renovated Monroe Hall will most closely resemble the recently built (last decade) Monroe Library (different from Monroe hall).

I strongly encourage you to google street view Monroe hall. You could put in 1874 Calhoun St or so.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations