HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 7:04 PM
the air is great up here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars-man View Post
Tantalizing news… Anyone who has full access to ABJ, please post the whole article if you can.

Trammell: Dirt could turn in Q1 on downtown Austin Green Water project

An ambitious public-private partnership that could further transform the south end of downtown Austin may start by early 2012 if developer Trammell Crow Co. can hammer out a final master development plan with city officials and, more importantly, find financing.

But there are hints that the project could be different than the grand project first presented to city officials about four years ago.

Rising from what’s now a grassy field and the former site of Austin’s first water treatment plant in southwest downtown, the Green Water mixed-use development was originally presented as a 2.6 million-square-foot complex consisting of a high-rise …

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/pr....html?ana=e_ph
For what it's worth, I noticed that the full article mentioned above is now available online:

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/pr....html?page=all

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 9:30 PM
the air is great up here

Seaholm substation wall rendering

Here is a link to renderings and a chance to chime in.

http://www.austintexas.gov/seaholm/seaholm_aippwall.htm

Personally, I find it to be pretty bland as presented, little more than fancy cinderblock. But maybe it's just the monochromatic renderings? I like the interesting little jag that the 2nd Street extension will make between the creek and West Ave. I had wondered about how that alignment would play out.

One big question is what happened to the solar panels that have been discussed for years to cover the top of the substation?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 5:52 AM
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!

Developers lay out $500 million vision for old water treatment site
By Shonda Novak

AUSTIN AMERICAN-STATESMAN

http://www.statesman.com/business/de...d-2255598.html

Quote:
Trammell Crow envisions 1.75 million square feet of development in all. The 826 apartments would be spread out in two towers, each at least 30 stories tall. The 17-story hotel would have about 200 rooms, while the 28-story office tower would have 456,000 square feet of space. The four buildings combined would have 82,000 square feet of retail space, including about 50,000 square feet along Second Street. The project would have about 2,700 parking spaces, including at least 250 available for public use.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 6:52 AM

I like the original render better, but the newer one isn't so bad.

Last edited by JoninATX; Mar 23, 2012 at 6:55 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 3:55 PM
Rundberg & I35

I like the make up of uses...but.... are those MASSIVE PARKING GARAGES overlooking the lake? If so that would be quite an eye-sore.

I would also like to know how many street fronts will have ground level retail. 82,000 square feet may sound like a lot but we are talking about basically 4 square blocks here. We could very well be looking at some baron streetscapes on a few sides of these buildings.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 8:55 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

While I am glad to see things are moving along and that we should see this start up by the end of the year, I am not really fond of those building designs. Blocky towers with strange rectangle crowns? Really? They all look the same. I really like the older proposals with the sleek twin towers instead of these buildings. Im afraid that section of DT will be rather bland looking if we don't get some contrast from these towers.

The rendering is completely not to scale. These buildings look to be around the same height as the 360, now granted they said the two towers would be at least 30 floors so I am assuming they may have more floors I guess depending on market demand. Hopefully 30 is the minimal amount and that they would add floors if they feel it is needed. Either way these buildings would have to be at least 40 floors to get close to the height of the 360 tower.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 10:59 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I have to point out that those renders are very poorly done. We need to wait for better renderings before we judge the visual/aesthetic quality of the designs.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East7thStreet View Post
I like the make up of uses...but.... are those MASSIVE PARKING GARAGES overlooking the lake?
waddayagonnado. everyone has one or two cars that lives there, and anyone that wants to shop wants to drive there, right here in car centric Austin, TX/

Old Posted Mar 24, 2012, 11:22 PM
Rundberg & I35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
waddayagonnado. everyone has one or two cars that lives there, and anyone that wants to shop wants to drive there, right here in car centric Austin, TX/
If you are not going to put the parking underground at least don't leave it exposed as an eyesore. And if you are going ot leave the parking exposed as a massive wall of concrete levels at least have it not facing the most viewed side of the building (lake side).

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 7:48 AM
~Hook'em~

It is kind of a trade off. Yes they have to put them in the most viewed side, but it is that or Second Street. And I'd rather them be on CC than 2nd.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 6:14 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I would love to see the tower on the northside of Second Street be at around 60 floors, Just my wishful thinking.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 10:19 PM
Meh

I was thinking of this project today. While I'm not crazy about twin buildings since they can be a bit boring sometimes, both in design and because they're duplicates, planners can do things to make them appear more interesting.

Rather than have two or three towers that are blocky and rigid and that don't really relate to each other besides being twins, they could have them play off each other. I've always been a fan of twin buildings that face away from each other. Doing that, you can look at one of the buildings from a certain angle, and see its twin's other side. It's almost like seeing two sides of the same building at the same time.

An example of this are the Shoreline Plaza towers in Corpus Christi. They're not exact twins either, but they're close enough. What really makes them interesting is how they're facing away from each other.

I've always loved those buildings mostly for their interaction with each other and also the way they anchor the skyline near the water. It's unlikely that they could join two towers at the Green site without closing one of the streets, but they could at least have them play off each other similar to how these two buildings do. The Green site is also roughly in the center of downtown near the water, so it could be a good focal point on the skyline.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 2:04 AM

Yeah, I really like the Shoreline Plaza towers in CC too. And I agree, not having twin towers lined up side by side would be more appealing. Even corner to corner would be better.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 3:11 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Yeah, I really like the Shoreline Plaza towers in CC too. And I agree, not having twin towers lined up side by side would be more appealing. Even corner to corner would be better.
I disagree. They look like space age crap. I especially don't like the huge connection between the two buildings which is oversized.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I disagree. They look like space age crap. I especially don't like the huge connection between the two buildings which is oversized.
yeah, i agree with you.

i would say though that these twin towers in san francisco are more reflective of what kevin is referring to. one is taller than the other and they're not perfectly aligned. i do like these buildings but i still think that's its such a waste to design two buildings exactly the same. it makes them seem "uncreative" like the designers got tired or something... i dunno. but these are still nice for what they are.

http://www.sfnewdevelopments.com/blo...in-35a-011.jpg

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 7:36 AM

Those are much better.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Those are much better.
in my honest opinion, they look more interesting on photos than in person. but i think it has to do with them being twin towers. i just can't get passed through that... and now imagine austin building triplets. yeesh.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 9:38 PM

I can't figure out how to link to the actual image, but if you go to Gensler's website

http://www.gensler.com/#aboutus/offices

And click on Austin, the first two images are of the Green Water development. The second image shows the office tower. Not sure if these are new or not

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
I can't figure out how to link to the actual image, but if you go to Gensler's website

http://www.gensler.com/#aboutus/offices

And click on Austin, the first two images are of the Green Water development. The second image shows the office tower. Not sure if these are new or not
Both of those are new and WOW that office tower is amazing.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 1:18 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

That office tower looks to be only around 30 floors, boo, I wish Austin would get a few tall 40 plus office towers. Thank goodness for that upcoming news about the 36 floor office tower at 3rd and Colorado.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin